Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2010, 01:47 PM

5,245 posts, read 16,428,379 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auggie2612 View Post
I like the new Lexus coming out in 2011 Lf-A Roadster, seen it watching the Pga at Pebble Beach on Tv yesterday.. Sweet looking car for a glorified Toyota.. Don't know the price tag on it though..

Attachment 64314
I was thinking the same thing. Saw one on the tele the other day while eating lunch and my jaw dropped. Yowza! Momma like...........
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2010, 02:03 PM

9,726 posts, read 16,740,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyyc View Post
Ariel Atom.

That is all.
Personally, if I had the money and simply wanted an outrageous "weekend" toy, I'd probably get an Ariel Atom. I cannot even imagine the awesomeness of driving one on my favorite roads!

But I'd want a windshield!

Old 06-20-2010, 03:27 PM
NSX NSX started this thread

877 posts, read 2,168,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamplight View Post
Personally, if I had the money and simply wanted an outrageous "weekend" toy, I'd probably get an Ariel Atom. I cannot even imagine the awesomeness of driving one on my favorite roads!

But I'd want a windshield!
OMG

That car is awesome, Lamplight. I think I'll start seriously looking into the Ariel Atom's.

The only thing I'd wonder about with one of those is how hard it would be to register and where to take it for service...I'd assume it has to registered as a kit car...

Old 06-20-2010, 04:44 PM

9,726 posts, read 16,740,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NSX View Post
OMG

That car is awesome, Lamplight. I think I'll start seriously looking into the Ariel Atom's.

The only thing I'd wonder about with one of those is how hard it would be to register and where to take it for service...I'd assume it has to registered as a kit car...
Yeah I'm not sure about the specifics of having one registered properly here in the U.S. I believe the base model just has a Honda 4 cylinder, so if that's the case engine parts should be easy to come by if needed. The rest of the car may be a different story though! I'd love to have one though. Realistically, for someone with my...ahem...lesser income, a base model Caterham may be feasible (assuming it could be registered in the U.S.) They don't look as swoopy and high tech, but I love the idea of a super light, simple, stripped down, open-air sports car:

http://katalog-automobilov.sk/img/caterham-classic-1.jpg (broken link)

Old 06-20-2010, 05:09 PM

14,100 posts, read 28,528,095 times
Welcome to Ariel Atom
Top Gear - Ariel Atom - BBC - Bing Videos

Old 06-20-2010, 07:05 PM

4,271 posts, read 8,172,339 times
The Ariel would be awesome.. What about a T-Rex, which is similar.. I think those are awesome and can probably be picked up used for a lot less.

Old 06-20-2010, 07:21 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,176,801 times
If you're willing to deal with the quirks of owning an exotic, as in, lots of moolah for basic repairs and maintenance, you will be hard-pressed to beat an Esprit V8 when it comes to performance-exotic bang for your buck, though for 15 grand less you can pick up a good condition low-mileage turbo 4 that would prove very adequate performance-wise. Next in the "exotic-performance bargain" formulation would be a Viper. A little less exotic, a little more performance, and probably much less painful to service.

Old 06-20-2010, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
If you're willing to deal with the quirks of owning an exotic, as in, lots of moolah for basic repairs and maintenance, you will be hard-pressed to beat an Esprit V8 when it comes to performance-exotic bang for your buck, though for 15 grand less you can pick up a good condition low-mileage turbo 4 that would prove very adequate performance-wise. Next in the "exotic-performance bargain" formulation would be a Viper. A little less exotic, a little more performance, and probably much less painful to service.
Definitely two of my top choices!

The Lotus would be the more "exotic" car, but Viper more reliable and much cheaper to maintain.

Which do you all think has more exotic and beautiful styling?

2003 Dodge Viper

2002 Lotus Esprit

Old 06-20-2010, 08:17 PM

4,472 posts, read 17,698,300 times
Been reading the thread, might as well chime in.

I have a short list of sports cars that I someday plan on purchasing:

(x) Chevy Corvette
Porsche 911 Carrera S
Ferrari F360 or F430
Aston Martin DB9 or Vantage

I've always thought Ferrari was the epitome of a true exotic sports car. Always wanted one as a child but I'm sure it'll be many years before I'm in any financial position to afford one.

For under $100K, I'd probably get a Ferrari F355. It has an exotic look to it coupled with a great F1 transmission, it's a head turner for sure. You should be able to find them between $85K-$95K with low miles, I'd snap one up and enjoy it for many years to come.

And very nice stable, the Lotus has always intrigued me, even thought about one before buying my 'Vette. I'm sure it handles like a dream.

Old 06-20-2010, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyAZ View Post
Been reading the thread, might as well chime in.

I have a short list of sports cars that I someday plan on purchasing:

(x) Chevy Corvette
Porsche 911 Carrera S
Ferrari F360 or F430
Aston Martin DB9 or Vantage

I've always thought Ferrari was the epitome of a true exotic sports car. Always wanted one as a child but I'm sure it'll be many years before I'm in any financial position to afford one.

For under $100K, I'd probably get a Ferrari F355. It has an exotic look to it coupled with a great F1 transmission, it's a head turner for sure. You should be able to find them between $85K-$95K with low miles, I'd snap one up and enjoy it for many years to come.

And very nice stable, the Lotus has always intrigued me, even thought about one before buying my 'Vette. I'm sure it handles like a dream.
I absolutely love the F355.
http://www.heritageclassics.com/ferrari/97red355/A.jpg (broken link)

The only thing that holds me back is I worry about the maintenance costs. I'd like to drive the car 5000-7000 miles a year, and I've heard crazy stories about maintenance. Some have said $5k every 15k miles, others have said "only" $4k per 30k miles. Heard horror stories about engines blowing after 25-30k miles, and others who claim they've driven 50000+ miles relatively trouble free. I'm pretty unfamiliar with these cars, so I really don't know what is true...need to do some research. I do know that they sure are beautiful though, and seem like a bargain with the base price being between $50-70K for a clean '96-'99.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive