Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2010, 10:42 PM

3,135 posts, read 11,890,380 times

Advertisements

You don't buy a real truck if you are worried about gas mileage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2010, 09:46 AM

8,317 posts, read 29,469,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PokerMunkee View Post
You don't buy a real truck if you are worried about gas mileage.
And you won't be driving it much, either. My town is already full of parked "Main Street" 4-wheel drive pickups that their owners can no longer afford to drive because of gas prices. When fuel prices get up to $5-6/gal., they'll all be parked.

Old 06-20-2010, 03:49 PM

1,392 posts, read 2,859,635 times
If Toyota would/could ever sell the hilux truck w/the 2.5 or 3l diesel they would wreck the domestic truck market. These trucks routinly run 4 to 500,000 miles and are about as bullet proof a machine as you could buy. We will probably never see in the states, but who knows. Cheap bullet proof truck would be hard to compete with.

Old 06-20-2010, 08:56 PM

8,317 posts, read 29,469,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waitingtundra View Post
If Toyota would/could ever sell the hilux truck w/the 2.5 or 3l diesel they would wreck the domestic truck market. These trucks routinly run 4 to 500,000 miles and are about as bullet proof a machine as you could buy. We will probably never see in the states, but who knows. Cheap bullet proof truck would be hard to compete with.
You are absolutely right. I guy I know worked overseas for awhile and drove Toyota Hi-lux diesels most of the time. 30+ mpg on the highway and absolutely bulletproof, according to him.

If that isn't enough, this hilarious (at least to we rural folks) New Zealand Hi-lux ad ought to sell anybody.

YouTube - Funny Toyota Advert - Cows steal truck

Old 06-20-2010, 08:59 PM

14,100 posts, read 28,524,892 times
and don't forget that Top Gear couldn't destroy the truck enough that it wouldn't start.

Old 12-25-2016, 06:10 AM

1 posts, read 543 times
Default diesel

its rumored that nissan has a four cyl. diesel in the works, that is built by gm. the same eng that ups uses in their step vans. it ought to push that little frontier right along.

Old 12-25-2016, 09:32 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,524,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyAZ View Post
I think quite a few guys would be interested in having a mini-diesel in an F-150/Silverado 1500/Ram 1500. Diesel engines have quite a few advantages over gas-powered engines such as towing, fuel economy, longevity, etc etc. I think it'd be a wise move to invest some resources in a small diesel for 1/2 ton trucks and I'd be willing to bet the first manufacturer to offer such an engine will profit heavily from it. Ford has thrown the idea around for a few years but has yet to bring anything to market, this is the first that I've heard of Chevy/GMC looking at one.
I don't think the sales numbers are where Dodge wants to be. The Ecodiesel is a 3-4K option depending if you're buying a comparable V6 or V8 gas truck. That's a big price difference. Gas V8 is simply a higher profit margin so dealers are going to push what they can make money on. They dont care if it's gas or diesel.

As far as longevity, my gas powered trucks go 200k before I sell them and the engines seem to run fine. I had a GMC that's still on the road with a gas engine approaching 400,000. A family member is currently driving it as a DD. The engine is original never rebuilt. Runs fine. Oil changed every 5k.
Plenty of gas engines are capable of reaching those numbers if properly maintained.

Considering most buyers do not keep a vehicle long enough to really get their money's worth and the monthly and yearly running costs savings aren't that huge between gas and diesel to most people a diesel simply isn't a contender. Not to mention a 1/2 ton gas vs 1/2 ton diesel towing the V8 gas trucks have higher tow ratings. The Hemi has a higher tow rating than the Ecodiesel

I do agree if Toyota gets a bug and decides to sell a Tacoma/Hi-Lux with a diesel in the US they simply will need a factory just for that truck option alone because they will sell every one. I know I would buy one in a heartbeat.

Old 12-25-2016, 09:43 AM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,385,103 times
As a Former PSD owner for 15 years I say a diesel is not worth the extra expense unless you are going to do the majority of your everyday highway driving towing a trailer.

Diesels get their best mileage when they are cruising at highway speeds not short hauls on local roads.

Using your diesel for six times a year trailer haul is not saving you any money.

When I bought my F250 in 1995 the diesel option was $5,000 over a gas engine. I imagine it is much more today.

If you are buying a diesel because you like the sound of a diesel, remove the mufflers from your gas engine truck for a even louder exhaust.

If you need a diesel buy it. Just don't buy it because you think it's cool.

Old 12-25-2016, 10:21 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,832,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
GM Rumored to be Interested in Light-Duty Diesel Again, Good Idea? - Wide Open Throttle - Motor Trend Magazine
GM may be putting a 4.5L Duramax diesel in it's Silverado truck. The claim is that it's power will be on par with the 2001 Duramax which was about 300 hp and little more than 500 torque. Possibly 25% more fuel efficient than the gas V8. Considering the coming increase in CAFE standards, this is probably the best route for pick-up trucks short of going back to trucks like the Chevy Luv.
i think it is a good idea. light duty diesels in half ton trucks make as much sense as heavy duty diesels in 3/4 ton and up trucks. the benefits in fuel economy alone are good. the problem is as noted the federal government, with their emissions regulations, especially on diesels. i think if we ease off them a bit, it will pay dividends in the long run.

Old 12-25-2016, 10:31 AM

6,143 posts, read 5,252,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
A small truck with a four cylinder diesel could have the pulling power of a V6 engine.

GM makes one. The Colorado/Canyon aren't really small, but they're smaller than a FS truck.

Last edited by eaton53; 12-25-2016 at 10:51 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive