U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-18-2010, 10:15 PM

7,305 posts, read 24,596,190 times

Advertisements

To back track some, I have a 1995 Lincoln Town Car that I have recently purchased. I love the car, but this recall issue has me really frustrated.

The car was part of that terrible cruise-control deactivation switch recall in 2007 due to potentially overheating switches. This effected many 90s-early 2000s Fords, Lincolns, Mercurys and Ford Trucks, etc.

I discovered through Ford website that my car still had an open recall on it.

I made an appt with a local Ford/Mercury/Lincoln dealer to have this done. I had been told from other owners that this is a simple, straight-forward repair.

I had done research and was kinda familiar with the part(s) to be replaced. Most of these I had seen had a jumper harness with a blue tag stating the recall had been performed.

Well I took the car in and supposedly had it done. I got home, popped the hood, wanting to see how neat of a job they did and I didnt see that anything had been changed/replaced! A little upset, I had to run some errands, but when I got back home I called down there at 4:30, got nothing but answering machines, even the service managers phone. I left a message for him, but he never called me back. I wanted to speak to them about this to see exactly what was performed. Out of anger, I called Ford Motor Company and she was able to get them on the line. The service advisor said he personally took the part to the tech and dont know why I could not see it had been done. He then said today when I called and said I could not come back down there today, he said the tech said it had to be done underneath, but no one else I have talked to has said that.

I called another local dealer and he said I should be able to see the replaced part. Well, I took it there today (since it was closer - I had went to the other dealer because I was in the area that day) and then that guy said it had been done, but pointed to a switch that was already there. I was already frustrated and knew I was getting nowhere, so I left. I had called Ford again today and seemed like they thought I was crazy. The lady said I am not calling you a liar (didnt say it exactly like that), but asked me if I was a certified tech and knew for sure they didnt replace it, etc. I had told her I had been to several sites of owners of these cars and the pics I posted, everyone seemed to think it had not been performed.

Apparently they only put on that jumper with the blue tag if your switch is not leaking. Someone said mine may have been and they replaced it awhile back, but I cant figure out why the recall was still showing to be open and needed to be done. They gave me a print out that it had been done, but there appears to have been absolutely no new part added to my car.

I am hoping that someone here with one of these cars (or some other FMC car that had this recall) can shed some light on this. Its been driving me crazy.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2010, 11:02 PM

3,071 posts, read 8,069,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennesseestorm View Post
To back track some, I have a 1995 Lincoln Town Car that I have recently purchased. I love the car, but this recall issue has me really frustrated.

The car was part of that terrible cruise-control deactivation switch recall in 2007 due to potentially overheating switches. This effected many 90s-early 2000s Fords, Lincolns, Mercurys and Ford Trucks, etc.

I discovered through Ford website that my car still had an open recall on it.

I made an appt with a local Ford/Mercury/Lincoln dealer to have this done. I had been told from other owners that this is a simple, straight-forward repair.

I had done research and was kinda familiar with the part(s) to be replaced. Most of these I had seen had a jumper harness with a blue tag stating the recall had been performed.

Well I took the car in and supposedly had it done. I got home, popped the hood, wanting to see how neat of a job they did and I didnt see that anything had been changed/replaced! A little upset, I had to run some errands, but when I got back home I called down there at 4:30, got nothing but answering machines, even the service managers phone. I left a message for him, but he never called me back. I wanted to speak to them about this to see exactly what was performed. Out of anger, I called Ford Motor Company and she was able to get them on the line. The service advisor said he personally took the part to the tech and dont know why I could not see it had been done. He then said today when I called and said I could not come back down there today, he said the tech said it had to be done underneath, but no one else I have talked to has said that.

I called another local dealer and he said I should be able to see the replaced part. Well, I took it there today (since it was closer - I had went to the other dealer because I was in the area that day) and then that guy said it had been done, but pointed to a switch that was already there. I was already frustrated and knew I was getting nowhere, so I left. I had called Ford again today and seemed like they thought I was crazy. The lady said I am not calling you a liar (didnt say it exactly like that), but asked me if I was a certified tech and knew for sure they didnt replace it, etc. I had told her I had been to several sites of owners of these cars and the pics I posted, everyone seemed to think it had not been performed.

Apparently they only put on that jumper with the blue tag if your switch is not leaking. Someone said mine may have been and they replaced it awhile back, but I cant figure out why the recall was still showing to be open and needed to be done. They gave me a print out that it had been done, but there appears to have been absolutely no new part added to my car.

I am hoping that someone here with one of these cars (or some other FMC car that had this recall) can shed some light on this. Its been driving me crazy.
Yo If the so called problem has not shown up in the car for 15 years DONT WORRY BOUT IT... Tell you what. Go ahead and keep the paper work saying the car has been certified ok from ford and then (one chance in a million or less) if you have an electrical fire you can sue them... Till then stop obsessing over it...gezzz

Old 06-19-2010, 12:03 AM

22,972 posts, read 28,930,571 times
I did get a notice in the mail about my car.

I put it off for a few months, then drove it to a local Lincoln dealer.

It is a simple repair. A new wiring harness was installed; it took about 45 minutes.

Old 06-19-2010, 07:31 AM

2,698 posts, read 10,496,234 times
Try another dealer.

Mike

Old 06-19-2010, 08:05 AM

6,368 posts, read 14,638,177 times
To remove all doubt, why don't you just buy a new switch and wiring harness, install it yourself then get on with life? It takes about fifteen minutes to install.

Don't know about your typing skills but I could have replaced the switch and harness faster than I could have typed your rant.

Old 06-19-2010, 01:46 PM

3,306 posts, read 10,167,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gimme3steps View Post
To remove all doubt, why don't you just buy a new switch and wiring harness, install it yourself then get on with life? It takes about fifteen minutes to install.

Don't know about your typing skills but I could have replaced the switch and harness faster than I could have typed your rant.
To his credit I had a similar issue on my '96 Dodge where I had NO CHOICE but to bring the vehicle in for the recall. Initially I just wanted to avoid the stealerships 100% but I found out there was no way for me to acquire the part (that NEEDED replacement) other than to bring it to them and have them do it. I called several dealerships across the state trying to get the part but every time the parts guy brought it up on the computer it is listed as a recall item, this means they won't sell it to you! With no other options I reluctantly brought in the truck and naturally all of the problems I foresaw came into reality, it was a stupid and pointless mess.

TN, not sure if your part is available in the chains or not (may want to check) but I certainly understand the dealership frustration. When older vehicles come in for recalls its obvious they don't give a rats ass about the job they do. And yes, they like to pull the classic "Are you a mechanic?" card... and no matter what you say they won't listen and just assume you are unqualified to make any assertion. It's quite ridiculous, thats why I just try and avoid those people all together.

edit: TN, I just tried looking up the part on rock auto and advance but I don't think I found what you are looking for. This may be one of those situations where they are hording it at the stealership and won't sell it because it is under recall. Your invoice should have a part number on it, could you post it?

Old 06-19-2010, 06:12 PM

7,305 posts, read 24,596,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nativechief View Post
Yo If the so called problem has not shown up in the car for 15 years DONT WORRY BOUT IT... Tell you what. Go ahead and keep the paper work saying the car has been certified ok from ford and then (one chance in a million or less) if you have an electrical fire you can sue them...
I think this problem supposedly supposed to crop up after 10-15 years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
I did get a notice in the mail about my car.

I put it off for a few months, then drove it to a local Lincoln dealer.

It is a simple repair. A new wiring harness was installed; it took about 45 minutes.
Yeah, thats what I was told, but for some reason on mine, its became a confusin ordeal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gimme3steps View Post

I am a pretty fast typer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lux Hauler View Post

edit: TN, I just tried looking up the part on rock auto and advance but I don't think I found what you are looking for. This may be one of those situations where they are hording it at the stealership and won't sell it because it is under recall. Your invoice should have a part number on it, could you post it?
part # on the invoice is....
8W7Z-14A411-C
which appears to be the jumper harness, which they did not install on my car...

In this pic, that one dealer I took it into to check it said here is what they replaced... that switch... does that look like its two days old to you? I looked closely at this before I took it in and its the same part.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive