U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-19-2010, 05:55 PM

14,089 posts, read 24,452,608 times

Advertisements

This topic came to mind from another post. What are the good and bad ergonomics of your personal vehicle? For example, my car is a 2003 Chevy Malibu. On the good ergonomics; the shifter height is perfect in that when you rest your right arm on the arm rest your hand naturally falls onto the shifter in a comfortable position, the radio controls are easy to reach and easy to learn so you don't have to look at the controls to change the channel. On bad ergonomics, the ac controls are recessed (pushed further back under the radio) and difficult to see when driving, the arm rest can partially block the center cup holder if a very large drink is placed inside, the driver's side cup holder is only good for a can soda.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2010, 06:09 PM

6,663 posts, read 27,285,578 times
Love my truck, '08 Ford Explorer Sport Trac. V8 4x4. Great cab, good pick up bed.
Can't stand the bucket seats. Seems small on the seating, I love bench seats of the old trucks - guess Detroit hates the bench. The center console even more makes the space seem small. The armrest on the door is shaped just so your left leg wants to have more room.

Old 06-19-2010, 06:20 PM

14,089 posts, read 24,452,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferretkona View Post
Love my truck, '08 Ford Explorer Sport Trac. V8 4x4. Great cab, good pick up bed.
Can't stand the bucket seats. Seems small on the seating, I love bench seats of the old trucks - guess Detroit hates the bench. The center console even more makes the space seem small. The armrest on the door is shaped just so your left leg wants to have more room.
It makes me wonder if they shouldn't send out an ergonomics survey to owners within a year of purchasing the vehicle so they can see where they need to improve their product.

Old 06-19-2010, 07:43 PM

6,663 posts, read 27,285,578 times
They did, the wife got one with her truck as well. I think they are just thrown out in the trash.

You know, they must have listened to someone thou. The '07's had the door pull under the arm rest that pissed everyone off. The rear doors still have the odd door pull under the arm rest, but the front are molded into the armrest.

Old 06-19-2010, 08:36 PM

23,185 posts, read 25,902,630 times
The auto industry will phase it out soon. It just hasn't caught up the home/office furniture market which has removed it from nearly every chair sold.

Old 06-19-2010, 10:57 PM

7,305 posts, read 24,275,041 times
lol. Just set here and typed up a 2 page article about my cars and then it was like the site wasnt working. I had copied and pasted to post it later, then closed this out, but in the meantime had copied/pasted something else and lost it all. Oh well, not going to do it all over again.

Old 06-19-2010, 11:24 PM

38,696 posts, read 91,742,627 times
One thing that drives me nuts about my Saab is if I'm sliding the sunroof shut, it doesn't stop or even pause when it's shut -- it keeps right on going into "pop-up" mode. Same in reverse if it's popped up -- if I hold the button to close it, it'll keep right on going and start sliding back. In order to tell when it's closed and sealed, I have to roll down my drivers side window and feel the seam on the roof, and then stop when the glass pane is even with the rest of the roof. For all the thoughtful ergonomic and convenience touches Saab puts into their cars, this was a glaring oversight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive