Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2011, 02:10 PM

77,800 posts, read 59,963,843 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Yeah. Since nothing exciting is out right now, I'm gonna get a loaded '11 Grand Sport LT4 'vert with the dual exhaust and ride control...

Maybe something super cool will come out in the next couple of years or something.
I would HIGHLY consider checking out some of the Corvette Sport models out there. I drive my vette nearly year round and it's a fun and easy commuter.

The sport package looks a lot like a Z06 too.

If you are willing to give ground a little on the convertible aspect....get a C6Z06 and while it doesn't quite have the curb appeal of the viper you get everything else plus something that is amazingly sweet on the commute while still a beast underneath. (0-60 should be around 3.4 instead of the 4.5 you are looking for. )

Props for the Lotus suggestion but for interestate driving in Texas....you aren't going to get the benefit IMO of what that car offers.

Can I throw out a crazy suggestion and maybe get some sort of older throw-back car that has been rebuilt? Like 60's vert with some engine upgrades and go old school?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2011, 02:13 PM

17,120 posts, read 56,786,488 times
For Interstate driving in Texas, the ultimate IMHO would be a Cadillac Eldorado from the late 60's, convertible, with bull horns on the top of the grille like a hood ornament. Wear a big Stetson while you drive it, drive 80 with one hand and hold the hat on with the other. I'm thinking of an image from some movie, maybe Mad Mad World?

Old 02-16-2011, 02:15 PM

14,780 posts, read 43,511,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
I would still suggest a test drive in an Elise. Have to agree that the current production 'vette is a good value as new cars go, better than most.

Buddy of mine (who has an Elise as well) bought a 1997 911, it was a $140K car new, with something like 30K miles for $70K. Taking a close look at it I could find maybe 3 very small scratches in the paint, almost like new for half price.
Good thought on the used Porsche. A guy I used to do business with owns a leasing company and a couple dealers. He routinely picks up 911 turbo's for a lot less than what they cost new and drives them for a year before selling them. Not to mention that the vast majority of 911 owners take exquisite care of their cars.

Old 02-16-2011, 09:27 PM

44,256 posts, read 64,109,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nativechief View Post
I would avoid an american car because of unproven reliability .

All I have ever owned has been American and I have had hardly any problems.
That's a very antiquated notion.

Old 02-16-2011, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
I would HIGHLY consider checking out some of the Corvette Sport models out there. I drive my vette nearly year round and it's a fun and easy commuter.

The sport package looks a lot like a Z06 too.

If you are willing to give ground a little on the convertible aspect....get a C6Z06 and while it doesn't quite have the curb appeal of the viper you get everything else plus something that is amazingly sweet on the commute while still a beast underneath. (0-60 should be around 3.4 instead of the 4.5 you are looking for. )

Props for the Lotus suggestion but for interestate driving in Texas....you aren't going to get the benefit IMO of what that car offers.

Can I throw out a crazy suggestion and maybe get some sort of older throw-back car that has been rebuilt? Like 60's vert with some engine upgrades and go old school?
Won't let go of the convertible. Already have a coupe and a truck. This car has to be a convertible.

I dig the classic cars, but they don't have the performance, the comfort, the tech (especially for a long commute), and the safety (I drive mostly highway, including I35) the newer models do.

The Lotus might be cool if I was just on regular streets.

Old 02-16-2011, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
Good thought on the used Porsche. A guy I used to do business with owns a leasing company and a couple dealers. He routinely picks up 911 turbo's for a lot less than what they cost new and drives them for a year before selling them. Not to mention that the vast majority of 911 owners take exquisite care of their cars.
You guys aren't far off on the Porsches...I went and test drove a GTS and a 4HS...actually wound up becoming buddies with the dealer guy...I think we'll hang in the future.

I know that Porsches are super-awesome and 'driver's cars,' but they are really...meh.
They are way super-common around here (so are 'vettes, though), I hate how one 911 looks like every other 911, I kinda of just don't like how 911s look in general, and it cheezes me off that Porsche and BMW nickel and dime you so much to get some decent accessories INSIDE the damn cars.

Don't get me wrong, my neighbor's Carrera GT is totally drool-worthy, but the cars I drove weren't exciting me much. And I was looking at $120k cars that still wouldn't get me to 60mph in less than 4.5 seconds. I mean, I live in Texas...there ARE NO CURVES...there are just straight lines.

Old 02-16-2011, 09:55 PM

38,707 posts, read 102,794,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
There's a quirky bubble in the 911 turbo market though... the 993 turbos are holding their value incredibly well. You can pick up a 996 turbo for roughly 60% of the cost of a 993 turbo with similar miles and in similar condition.

Old 02-17-2011, 06:58 AM

77,800 posts, read 59,963,843 times
Quote:
You might want to consider reading some consumer reviews from this millenium.

Old 02-17-2011, 08:46 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,659,590 times
Quote:
really? my mother has a 97 sable she bought new, and it is still in excellent shape with NO reliability problems. i have a 77 olds delta 88 with more than 160k miles on it, and it has had few issues as well. a friend of mine has a fleet of older american cars, ranging from 1960 to 1979, all of which run quite well with few issues. so tell me again how american cars have unproven reliability?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive