Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2010, 10:09 AM

4,237 posts, read 24,780,703 times

Advertisements

Long story short I'm going to be doing some drag racing with my car, the local track requires anyone racing to wear a helmet (I don't have one yet) and I'm not sure if buying one slightly used is a good idea or not.

I've found a few used ones that look to be in good shape. Funds are a little tight. One of the ones I found is from someone who bought it for their son to ride a go-kart around like 4 times before they sold the go-kart.

I know one of the biggest things to look for is damage, scrape marks, cracks...what else? Also is it advisable to buy a used helmet if it's maybe less than a year old or should a new helmet always be bought?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2010, 10:32 AM

2,698 posts, read 12,174,224 times
You need to know what certifications from which sanctioning bodies your drag strip requires you to have. Most require some sort of SNELL rating, though there is a movement in the last few years to move from that to some of the Euro standards. Also, know that they may require the helmet to not be too old. These certifications basically expire after time and can make the helmet useless. I had a buddy who did the exact same thing as you and didn't know about the age thing until the track denied him. Man, was he pissed!

Helmets don't have to be ridiculously expensive if you know where to look. Try hitting up the clearance section on any site that carries helmets. Motorcycle sites are especially good for this. You can easily score a helmet for under $100. I bought my wife's helmet for $30 shipped. It's DOT and SNELL-rated, too. It just happened to be the last one they had and it was bright pink, so the market wasn't really there for it.

Some sites I like:

www.newenough.com
www.denniskirk.com
www.motorcycle-superstore.com
www.bikebandit.com
www.cyclegear.com. <- this is actually a chain. You may have a retail location reasonably close to you.

And of course, you can always check out the local bike shops.

Mike

Old 06-28-2010, 11:45 AM

Thanks...because on Summitracing, the type of helmet required usually runs $235 on up to $379.

Old 06-28-2010, 11:52 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,691,956 times
It depends on the track and what they require. Generally as long as it has a newer SNELL rating sticker you are good to go. Sometimes tracks will even rent out helmets for a small fee if this is something you are only going to do occasionally.

Generally any motorcycle helmet will work that isn't just a brain bucket (needs to cover your ears). I picked mine for drag racing up off the clearance rack at the local cycle shop for like $60.

Old 06-28-2010, 01:39 PM

5,228 posts, read 15,292,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
It depends on the track and what they require. Generally as long as it has a newer SNELL rating sticker you are good to go.
One thing to remember, there are more than one Snell rating, and often the sanctioning body will require an automotive rated one and not a motorcycle one. If they require an SA rated helmet, an M one won't do.

usually, however, unless you get to the pro levels, a DOT one will suffice (DOT standards aren't necessarily laxer than Snell, just different)

Old 06-28-2010, 01:42 PM

14,780 posts, read 43,691,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc63 View Post
One thing to remember, there are more than one Snell rating, and often the sanctioning body will require an automotive rated one and not a motorcycle one. If they require an SA rated helmet, an M one won't do.

usually, however, unless you get to the pro levels, a DOT one will suffice (DOT standards aren't necessarily laxer than Snell, just different)
Ah, good point. Most drag tracks I've been to are pretty lax and just care that you have a helmet, not necessarily that it's the right helmet. However, some of them are real sticklers, so it is a good idea to check the track rules and make sure that your helmet meets their standard as there are many ratings.

Old 06-28-2010, 02:02 PM

Per the track rules:

Quote:
Everyone needs a helmet and those13.99 or quicker must have Snell 2000 or 2005 helmet.

Old 06-28-2010, 02:06 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,681,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deez Nuttz View Post
Long story short I'm going to be doing some drag racing with my car, the local track requires anyone racing to wear a helmet (I don't have one yet) and I'm not sure if buying one slightly used is a good idea or not.

I've found a few used ones that look to be in good shape. Funds are a little tight. One of the ones I found is from someone who bought it for their son to ride a go-kart around like 4 times before they sold the go-kart.

I know one of the biggest things to look for is damage, scrape marks, cracks...what else? Also is it advisable to buy a used helmet if it's maybe less than a year old or should a new helmet always be bought?

Thanks!
All helmets have a lifespan and a shorter lifespan the more UV light from the sun they are exposed to. A used helmet is like a loaded gun in that you never know when it will go off (or fail to protect in this case) so they are a really, really bad risk to take.

Old 06-28-2010, 02:19 PM

Thanx Tightwad, didn't know a helmet is affected by the UV rays.

I don't know if the track (Kansas City International) rents helmets or not, I can't even get ahold of anyone there to ask. So looks like I'll have to forfeit racing until I can afford a helmet.

Old 06-28-2010, 02:26 PM

2,698 posts, read 12,174,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deez Nuttz View Post
Per the track rules: Everyone needs a helmet and those13.99 or quicker must have Snell 2000 or 2005 helmet.
You'll be fine with just a motorcycle-style helmet, then. Go ahead and get a SNELL-rated one just for peace of mind.

Mike
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive