Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-27-2010, 04:19 PM
 
80 posts, read 338,454 times
Reputation: 26

Advertisements

i have a 1991 toyota pick up 4x4 5 speed with a 1989 4 cyl 22re. i need to get a new engine i was looking at a 1984 0r 84 with 25000 miles for 350. would it be possible to do an engine swap with these since the one i have now is fuel injected and the other one is carburated. thanks for your help
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-27-2010, 04:30 PM
 
Location: Vancouver, B.C., Canada
11,155 posts, read 29,313,098 times
Reputation: 5479
you could also go with the 150-horsepower 3.0-liter V6 which came Standard on the SR5 it will bolt right up too. just pull the computer out also and it should be and easy swap and will get you aronud 45-50 more horsepower over the stock 4-banger.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-27-2010, 04:52 PM
 
946 posts, read 2,604,011 times
Reputation: 509
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexr071291 View Post
i have a 1991 toyota pick up 4x4 5 speed with a 1989 4 cyl 22re. i need to get a new engine i was looking at a 1984 0r 84 with 25000 miles for 350. would it be possible to do an engine swap with these since the one i have now is fuel injected and the other one is carburated. thanks for your help
I foresee a lifetime of misery and check engine lights.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-27-2010, 06:14 PM
 
33,387 posts, read 34,832,973 times
Reputation: 20030
you can swap just about any engine into just about any car, sorry but a rolls-royce or packard merlin engine is not going to fit a honda 600 coupe. as for your swap, advance adapters has the needed parts to make the engine fit your toyota as it is a fairly common to swap a small block chevy into a toyota truck. if you want a carbed engine, that makes things easier, if you want efi then check out the various stand alone harnesses available for the small block chevy swap, gm performance parts in fact carries just such a harness and computer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-27-2010, 06:17 PM
 
Location: Apple Valley Calif
7,474 posts, read 22,879,293 times
Reputation: 5682
Also, check your states smog laws before building something you won't be able to register...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-28-2010, 08:23 PM
 
Location: Eastern Washington
17,214 posts, read 57,064,697 times
Reputation: 18579
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexr071291 View Post
i have a 1991 toyota pick up 4x4 5 speed with a 1989 4 cyl 22re. i need to get a new engine i was looking at a 1984 0r 84 with 25000 miles for 350. would it be possible to do an engine swap with these since the one i have now is fuel injected and the other one is carburated. thanks for your help
Let me challenge your assumption that you need a new or different engine - what's wrong with the one in the truck?

I wouldn't go to a carburated engine on this truck. At the same time it's possible that the short block from the 84 is the same as the 91, if you have a really badly worn bottom end, this *might* be practical.

But if you basically just need a "rings and bearings" refresh, that's do-able with the engine block in the truck, I think. Depends on how hard it is to get the oil pan off - if you have a good clean place to work this is do-able. Of course if the cylinders need to be bored, the block needs to come out of the truck, but it's not a disaster to have torn it down in-place.

If you have a good engine crane or one available, something like a Jasper rebuit might be a good choice, if you are relatively long on money and short on time, and want a warrenty.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-29-2010, 08:49 AM
 
6,367 posts, read 16,871,001 times
Reputation: 5934
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOlover View Post
you could also go with the 150-horsepower 3.0-liter V6 which came Standard on the SR5 it will bolt right up too. just pull the computer out also and it should be and easy swap and will get you aronud 45-50 more horsepower over the stock 4-banger.
Why do your replies always assume everyone needs or wants more horsepower?

Quote:
Originally Posted by teach1234 View Post
I foresee a lifetime of misery and check engine lights.
+1


Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
you can swap just about any engine into just about any car, sorry but a rolls-royce or packard merlin engine is not going to fit a honda 600 coupe. as for your swap, advance adapters has the needed parts to make the engine fit your toyota as it is a fairly common to swap a small block chevy into a toyota truck. if you want a carbed engine, that makes things easier, if you want efi then check out the various stand alone harnesses available for the small block chevy swap, gm performance parts in fact carries just such a harness and computer.
Did you even read the original post?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donn2390 View Post
Also, check your states smog laws before building something you won't be able to register...
Good point
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-29-2010, 08:56 AM
 
14,780 posts, read 43,682,136 times
Reputation: 14622
I wouldn't swap a carbed engine into a factory fuel injected truck for one reason, emissions. Chances are you are going to have to meet emissions standards for the model year of your truck and the older engine most likely won't do it.

The swap itself should be pretty straight forward, with the biggest headache going to be what to do with the wiring and ECM. You will most likely be driving around with a permanent check engine light.

As someone else mentioned, what's wrong with the motor you have? It will most likely be more cost effective and less time consuming to rebuild what you have then do an engine swap. If you were swapping in a bigger engine to gain more power, fine, but just to get the truck working again I don't think it's worth it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-29-2010, 09:44 AM
 
33,387 posts, read 34,832,973 times
Reputation: 20030
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gimme3steps View Post
Did you even read the original post?
i did misread the post. i thought one of his options was swapping in a small block chevy, my bad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-29-2010, 10:13 AM
 
1,742 posts, read 6,138,812 times
Reputation: 737
Put a 350 in it anyway
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top