Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2010, 01:19 PM

372 posts, read 710,637 times

Advertisements

My husband, 2 children, parents and I are taking a trip to Gatlinburg, Tn. from DFW. I am very overwhelmed in finding the right size Suv to rent for my family. There are 6 of us and we need a cargo area in the back to accomadate luggage. Anyone drive an Expedition or Suburban and can tell me if there is a nice cargo area with the 3rd row up? Any other suv's I am missing? I am fit to be tied. Need your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2010, 01:34 PM

11,155 posts, read 29,319,643 times
the suburban XL or Expedition XL will fit you needs with ease if it is going to be alot of Hwy you could also rent a chevy savanna or ford econoline passenger van
from budget.com
van rental | rental car types | Budget Rent A Car
12-passenger van rental
U.S. and Canadian corporate-operated locations offer the following (or similar types of) high-occupancy rental vehicles. Many U.S. and Canadian locations – and locations outside the U.S. – also carry unique rental cars. Just go to our car and van rental booking engine and enter your preferred location to find out what's available in our smoke-free fleet!Most high-occupancy vehicles include:
• dual airbag protection
• AM/FM stereo
• armrest
• compact disc player
• air conditioning
• map lights
• power locks
• power mirrors
• power windows
• automatic transmission
• anti-lock brakes
• rear defroster
• front-wheel drive
• anti-theft system
• cruise control
• power brakes
• power steering
• safety rear door locks
• remote keyless entry
• power driver seat
• tilt-steering wheel
Planning a team office activity or have a great big family? Your super journey begins with a super 12-passenger van rental!

Old 06-28-2010, 02:15 PM

372 posts, read 710,637 times
Ty

Old 06-28-2010, 02:43 PM

6,664 posts, read 30,615,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage Life View Post
Anyone drive an Expedition or Suburban and can tell me if there is a nice cargo area with the 3rd row up? Any other suv's I am missing? I am fit to be tied. Need your help.
Expeditions and Suburbans have about a 4 foot by 4 foot area with the third seat in.
You will have more available room with a passenger van.

Old 06-28-2010, 04:19 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,855,962 times
I have owned several Suburbans over the years and for comfort on a long trip as well as general cargo space, I would go with a full-sized Van. I love Suburbans and have traveled tens of thousands of miles in them, and while they are very comfortable and nice vehicles; they come in second place to a full sized van for family trips.

Old 06-28-2010, 05:48 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,176,487 times
A full size van will be a good choice as long as it is not a Dodge. I have twice driven a van with two families from Austin Texas to New Mexico and the GM van was vastly better than the Dodge. The Dodge was absolutely scary in a cross wind. I think an Econoline would be a good choice based on the opinion of others I know.

Old 06-28-2010, 05:58 PM

8,292 posts, read 26,678,490 times
If it was my choice, it would probably be determined partly by the cost of renting a Suburban versus renting a full-sized van. Also, it depends on some other stuff.

If you're towing a boat or trailer, or will be off the highway at all, I'd go with the Suburban.

Good luck!

Old 06-28-2010, 06:49 PM

1,963 posts, read 5,623,003 times
My friend's brother rented a Ford Flex a few weeks ago on early summer trek from Portland to LA. He said it was very comfy & decently luxurious, and most importantly it tracked straight & didn't require both hands on the wheel & constant adjustments to prevent drifting. And although the SUV is very long he didn't seem to have any problems parking or maneuvering inside the mall lot. But his kids are only like 4 or 5yo so I'm not sure if the 3rd row has adequate leg room or not for older kids.

Old 06-28-2010, 07:30 PM

3,306 posts, read 12,222,868 times
If you can find an Excursion with the diesel or V8 (NOT the V10 as it guzzles gas like no tomorrow) you would be well off. The large club vans are also a good option. I don't know what your take on diesel is but if you can get something in a diesel then absolutely go for it. When it comes to these big heavy vehicles with poor aero the increase in fuel mileage by going diesel will save you $.

Old 06-28-2010, 10:19 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,856,573 times
It deepdns on the amount of luggage but a mini van might work as most have a deep cargo hold behind the third row seat which are confortable for kids and the second row is very confortable.Certinly that would get much better mileage and they are great on the highway.You need to go look at a dealer to see what you think.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive