Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2010, 12:07 PM

141 posts, read 587,989 times

Advertisements

Most of my products are running out. I clean our cars myself. I have mostly turtle wax cleaning products. Would like to upgrade the products to use on a new luxury car. We have a vehicle now that has leather, and I have found it pretty easy to clean. I does seem to turn more wrinkly under sun.

And I think my steering has some of the leather coming off, which I have no idea how to care for. help

Would like product recommendations that I can either buy at a local auto store or Target/Walmart/etc.

But, I want the best or near the best.

Need :

leather cleaner
glass for windows (mine still streak)
carpet (have kids and stains) really need this
dashboard cleaner

I also would like to know if anyone has a vacuum they prefer on the carpets. I haul out our household one, and in the winter time, that's not fun. I had a plug-in to the cigarette holder one time (long ago), but it never seemed to have enough suction to pick up all the long-hair (mine) or sand/dirt. any advice?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2010, 12:20 PM

2,698 posts, read 12,111,912 times
When it comes to wiping off hard surfaces, I find nothing works better than a good microfiber towel and water. I know it's best to use some sort protectant afterwards to keep the dash from cracking, but I hate all that shiny/greasy stuff.

For windows, I use a mixture of vinegar and water or the Windex that uses a vinegar base. I used to use Stoners Invisible Glass, but while it did do a good job of not streaking it just didn't seem to get everything off the window. I guess the best job would be to start with the vinegar solution and then follow with the Stoners to get the shine going (vinegar does seem to streak more).

For carpets, I use any of those cleaners that come with the brush attached to the top of the can. There's plenty of different brands out there but I find they all work about the same. The stuff works so well I use it around the house. I've even had luck with it getting out coffee stains that are years old.

For leather, again I use a wet microfiber to get the worst out. After, I follow with some conditioner to keep it nice and soft. Sometimes I use a leather cleaner in between, but it doesn't seem to do that much more than the microfiber did. For brands, I use Meguiar's or Mother's depending on what's available.

I've never found a DC-powered vacuum I liked enough to keep. I use a tiny Shop Vac that is very easy to pick-up and maneuver around the car. The body isn't much bigger than a coffee can, but it gets the job done very nicely.

Mike

Last edited by whiteboyslo; 06-29-2010 at 01:34 PM..

Old 06-29-2010, 12:34 PM

14,780 posts, read 43,465,675 times
Whiteboyslo had some really good recommendations.

For windows I use water dilluted with vinegar as it does a great job getting all the crud off and then I finish up with the Stoner's Invisible Glass, which leaves a really nice streak free finish.

Good microfiber towels are a must as cotton towels or papertowels just leave lint behind.

I personally use the Meguiar's series of products for everything but the glass. Their interior quick detailer is great on hard surfaces and the leather conditioner is very good. The soaps, polishes and waxes are also very good. They also make a great spray on tire shine and wheel cleaner, that even smells good.

As for the vacuum, not much else you can do except drag out the one from the house. That's what I do and find it works best. For carpet stains, any household carpet stain remover will work.

The most important thing is CLEANING the surfaces before you treat them. If you want the best results you need to get as much dust and dirt off as possible. As the PP said, a little water and a good towel goes a long way.

One final thing to look out for is the silicone content in cheaper products. Generally the lower lines of Armor All and Turtle Wax all contain high amounts of silicone. When you use them on your tires and interior plastics, they leave a great shine, because they draw the moisture out of the material. Over time this leads to cracking and fading and can make the tires get that discolored look. You will notice that when you use better products the shine isn't as intense, but it lasts longer and never dulls out completely.

Old 06-29-2010, 01:38 PM

10,090 posts, read 42,256,002 times
Dyson makes a great car vac. that I highly recommend! Between my long hair and our Golden Retriever....DH says he doesn't know who sheds more!

If your looking for a great wax....Zaino!
I buy it on line all the time...
Zaino Store

The more coats you use, the better the car looks! We have at least 3 coatings on all of our cars.

Old 06-29-2010, 02:05 PM

48,505 posts, read 96,476,720 times
For window cleaning I recommend what mnay auto makers have for years. A sponge and Bon Ami. You clean it and then use a hose to run a slow stream from the top of windshield to see if the grim and road oil are gone. Its the only thing I have seen to get the grime off easily and not scratch the glass.Cleqan wiprers with a mix of water and alcohol.As far as cleaners and wax their are hundreds to include one with smaall distributorships seen at custom rod shows that are a system to keep the biuldup down and make a smooth finish without frit. Most use clay to remove the grit that gets on the finish.

Old 06-29-2010, 02:25 PM

1,963 posts, read 5,592,897 times
definitely get the Meguiar's clay kit they sell at Pep Boys or Kragen! It makes all the difference in the world on your paint, especially if you park it outside. For leather Meguiar's makes a cream that's a bit glooopy & seems to smear like hand lotion but it does seem to rejuvenate older leathers. I even used it my old Frye boots that should've been thrown out years ago. I also like the Lexol conditioner but it's got a rancid oily smell that's kind of off-putting, still i've read that it's a good protectant. Oh and to clean windows after a wash I use a 50-50 mix of Vinegar Windex & rubbing alcohol.

Old 06-29-2010, 02:26 PM

thanks!
so buy:
microfiber towels (yep using cloth-didn't know that was bad)
vinegar - bon ami
stoner's invisible glass
Meguar's (all but glass cleaner)
Wax - zaino -um, I need to 'clay' my car, huh? which zaino, remember I don't have your nice gt car...just normal 40K cars.
any carpet cleaner ??? no preferences with brands? (spills from kids ya know )

vacuum: small shop vac or Dyson - which shop vac?
for dyson, all I found was dyson dc22 baby animal, is that it? love to have one that did long hair and dog's hair!!

I think I may toss the products I have, thought it was the upper line of turtle wax, but now I am not so sure. I'm almost out of everything anyways. the chrome is always dull, I do buff. and windows, I have never had streaked free and I generally have spots when the kids do it.

Old 06-29-2010, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaWorld Bound View Post
thanks!
so buy:
microfiber towels (yep using cloth-didn't know that was bad)
vinegar - bon ami
stoner's invisible glass
Meguar's (all but glass cleaner)
Wax - zaino -um, I need to 'clay' my car, huh? which zaino, remember I don't have your nice gt car...just normal 40K cars.
any carpet cleaner ??? no preferences with brands? (spills from kids ya know )

vacuum: small shop vac or Dyson - which shop vac?
for dyson, all I found was dyson dc22 baby animal, is that it? love to have one that did long hair and dog's hair!!

I think I may toss the products I have, thought it was the upper line of turtle wax, but now I am not so sure. I'm almost out of everything anyways. the chrome is always dull, I do buff. and windows, I have never had streaked free and I generally have spots when the kids do it.
this isn't the exact Shop Vac I have, but it's the same idea:

Walmart.com: 1-Gallon Shop-Vac Hang Up Mini Vacuum: Appliances

Nothing crazy, but the small size makes it ideal to get in and around the car. It doesn't have an agitator, though, so I'm not sure how well it will work to get the pet hair out.

As for the microfiber cloths, you won't believe how much more stuff the microfiber picks up! I used to use rags, shop towels, flannel cloths, etc., and none of them come close when it comes to getting out the grime. I would try just the cloth and water, see what you think, then make a decision as to whether you want/need the protectant stuff on top. As has been mentioned, the protectant really isn't a cleaner and should only be used after you get all the grime off.

As for the carpet cleaner brand, I have no real preference. I've used stuff from Black Magic, Turtle Wax, Oxy, etc. They all work pretty well. I honestly think they're all made at the same place and just relabeled, but that who knows? All I know is that I have yet to find a stain that doesn't come out with one of those scrub brush cans and a bit of elbow grease. The only other product I like is Nature's Miracle for cleaning up cat 'incidents', but obviously that's not meant to be used for all types of stains.

As to claying your car, it's not necessary but is a good idea to do every once in a while. It will strip off all the crud from your paint and leave the surface super-smooth, as in 'Dukes of Hazzard slide off the hood' smooth. It's very labor intensive, but the results are worth it. I try to do it once a year to my vehicles, but admittedly I'm way behind this year.

Mike

Old 06-29-2010, 03:36 PM

thanks, will do.
ok, the 'claying of your car'. Oh, dear, I have no idea what that is. did a search and have been reading, but it may be beyond me. I would do it, if I can find out more about how to do it. will do that laters.
My van is still shiny except where the paints been chipped off. I keep the tar and bugs off by using the turtle wax product.
using black magic on the chrome part of my tires, not sure I like it. It's better than what I had. It always leaves a residue. been buffing it off more, that helps for a while. then it goes back to being dull.
I need a class on this! Everything I was told to do when I was young and cleaning my dad's car with him, is all I've ever done. I don't think its working anymores.
thanks again....will do more research....

Old 06-29-2010, 07:20 PM

claying is pretty easy. you buy the kit (available pretty much anywhere from many brands) and it comes with basically everything you need.

1) clean the car well. dry.
2) use the detail spray in the kit to wet a relatively small area (3x3 or so)
3) rub the clay bar over the wet section using linear motions
4) keep going until the paint feels smooth and/or you don't hear the clay picking anything up anymore
5) repeat 2-4 until the whole car is done
6) wax the car. most clay kits come with a small bottle of wax

the biggest thing is to keep the clay moist and clean. spray the clay with the detail spray from time-to-time if it starts coming apart. if you drop it, wipe off as much as you can and then kneed the clay until the surface is clean. when you're done, you can store the clay for next time by putting it in a ziplock with a couple generous sprays of the detail spray.

as for the shiny wheel stuff, make sure you clean the wheel real well, then use a chrome polish. i've heard all sorts of good things about the Powerball and similar devices meant to be used with a cordless drill.

Mike
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive