Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2013, 03:28 PM

303 posts, read 539,991 times

Advertisements

Hey all!

I have a 2007 Nissan Versa hatchback (1.8L 4-cylinder engine, auto transmission) that I'm getting read to drive about 2,230 miles from Louisville KY to Sacramento CA in about two weeks. I will probably have it stacked pretty full with stuff too because I'm moving. I know literally NOTHING about cars quite frankly so I need some advice on what to tell the mechanic to do with it. It still has the tires from when I bought it used in March 2009. The air conditioner doesn't work, which is the third time that's happened but luckily the leak should show up this time because the last mechanic put a dye in it.

Any advice would be very much appreciated! I'm hoping to get the car looked at this coming week. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2013, 03:35 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,954,125 times
You're going to get a lot of conflicting advice here. That should make you feel a lot more secure. You'll have more things to worry about , not less.

Old 09-15-2013, 03:43 PM

4,788 posts, read 10,608,885 times
jtur88:
No kidding.

OP: what is current mileage on car? You bought it used with orig tires, or a replacement set?
What is your budget for having car serviced and looked at? What have you had done lately, or ever, since you have owned it? Oil & filter, brake pads/rotors, brake fluid, coolant, etc?

Not sure I will miss not riding along...
GL, mD

Old 09-15-2013, 03:44 PM

3,863 posts, read 6,295,535 times
What wouldn't you get checked? Maybe I'm just a worry wart, but seriously, I'd have as much as possible looked at:
Brakes, brake lines
Lights - headlights, tail lights, reverse lights
Those tires.....
Fluids - oil, radiator, steering
Struts or shocks depending on age (for all stuff you'll be hauling)
Windshield wipers and fluid

I'm sure others will think of more.

Old 09-15-2013, 03:52 PM

303 posts, read 539,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motordavid View Post
jtur88:
No kidding.

OP: what is current mileage on car? You bought it used with orig tires, or a replacement set?
What is your budget for having car serviced and looked at? What have you had done lately, or ever, since you have owned it? Oil & filter, brake pads/rotors, brake fluid, coolant, etc?

Not sure I will miss not riding along...
GL, mD
Current mileage is about 55k. The tires were new when I bought it, that was part of the purchase deal I got with it. I've always done oil, filter, and coolant stuff on time thanks to the little stickers they give me. The brakes were checked back in May and were fine. Really the whole thing was checked over in May by my grandfather's best friend who owns our hometown's only mechanic garage and he gave me the green light on everything then while he was checking out the air conditioning. The A/C will have to be done at the dealership though. I just don't want to get stuck in the middle of nowhere (aka Nebraska or Wyoming haha).

Thanks!

Old 09-15-2013, 04:32 PM

6,255 posts, read 17,095,367 times
For long trips, I always make sure I have a quart or two of oil with me, a gallon of coolant/water, some heavy gloves to be able to reach into the engine bay/pull debris away from wheel well/change tires with, and have had the oil changed before leaving.

It sounds like you just recently got things checked out, I wouldn't worry too much about it, just get the A/C fixed.

Old 09-15-2013, 05:19 PM

3,609 posts, read 7,919,691 times
When I was planning a similar trip, I replaced the tires and did an alignment. The tires were not worn out but were getting there. In addition to the usual checks and an oil change.

Old 09-15-2013, 05:25 PM

3,681 posts, read 9,057,165 times
I'd take it to a good mechanic or a good dealer and get the oil changed, tires balanced and rotated, do a 4 wheel alignment, air filter change, get the AC fixed and have them look the car over completely. That's a very solid, reliable car and should have no problems on a long road trip....

P.S. What brand of tires? How many miles on the tires? It all depends on the brand and number of miles on them.... Have whoever does the work measure the tire depth and look them over as well...

Old 09-15-2013, 05:34 PM

17,298 posts, read 22,030,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MckinneyOwnr View Post
For long trips, I always make sure I have a quart or two of oil with me, a gallon of coolant/water, some heavy gloves to be able to reach into the engine bay/pull debris away from wheel well/change tires with, and have had the oil changed before leaving.

It sounds like you just recently got things checked out, I wouldn't worry too much about it, just get the A/C fixed.

Im not a fan of "Jiffy Lube" type oil changes and leaving the next day.......My buddy did that and lost a motor 400 miles later due to a leaky filter (wasn't tight). JL said he would have blown up sooner, no way it was their fault since he did make it a full 400 miles......

Old 09-15-2013, 05:35 PM

17,298 posts, read 22,030,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MckinneyOwnr View Post

Make sure the jack/lug wrench are in the car, a bright flashlight is priceless when you need it and make sure the spare is properly inflated!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive