Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2010, 07:10 AM

16,956 posts, read 16,751,778 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zabala View Post
I received a copy of the report. This is f'ed up man...This witness was inside the liquor store when this happened, heard the noise and went outside. Saw someone walking away from the scene repeatedly looking over their shoulder, ( could not describe suspect of course). Called police simply assuming my car was the one who hit the truck...

In the report it says the officers gave me a business card with the DR# (what the hell is that?) but they never gave me anything!
It appears these cops are believing someone about what they saw and that's why they are treated you like the dirty B* who hit the car just based on some fools supposed eye witness account.

This sounds like Aruba ! Where they bungled that girl Natalie Halloway's case for 5 years ! ( well of course the Vandersloot guy had his dad pay off or bribe/ or whatever he did / to keep his son out of jail ) and nothing was ever done. Questionable Police work..Or police cover-up and cooperation.

You either have biased/or bad cops , crooked , cover up , or totally incompetant ones, because the innocent are INNOCENT until proven guilty ! They are not treating you like you are innocent at all...

There are good cops of course I am happy to say but not sure about this situation. There are SO many RED FLAGS here its just screaming out for help !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2010, 04:48 PM

100 posts, read 550,440 times
The only two words I can think of that may help are "attorney general". Given your financial situation.

If their' office cannot help you then certainly they can recommend the correct state agency.

Or city comptroller for a localized complaint. You could work for years on this and get nowhere.

Old 07-15-2010, 06:18 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,961,276 times
OT a bit, but I am not surprised you can hardly get a report. I had a 01 Kawi Nomad motorcycle stolen in W.Va. from a locked enclosed trailer while sleeping in a INN. Upon understanding the theft had taken place my wife called the police. He took a glance at the trailer, and said that bike is long gone now, you need to be out of town by sunset. May 05. In owned that bike just 360 days. It was out anniversarry present to our self and we rode it to Cal from NH, and back almost. That's another story.

There were big boot prints in the trailer floor fresher paint, and I asked if he would take any evidence. He then knew I was from up north and said no I am not going to make any report, and you are a yankee, be out of town by noon time.

I never did get any report and neither did Progressive who paid off the claim anyway.

There is good cops and there is bad cops, and i got no use for either.

Old 07-15-2010, 09:59 PM

54 posts, read 190,356 times
That's an insane story Mac!

My 1st floor neighbor had his apt broken into and he came home while the guy was still there! After a brief scuffle the intruder got away and police never found him. Only a few days later, there was some guy who got into a gated off area on the side of our building,with easy access to 1st floor windows btw.

He was carrying a large duffle bag as well. My neighbor who was robbed days earlier called police. The SAME officer who took the report from the robbery showed up that night and told my neighbor, "Don't worry, he's just some homeless guy tryin to find a nice quiet place to sleep". Also said something about he wasn't trespassing because he wasn't IN the building??? Yeah, my neighbor was stunned to hear that after being broken into a few days earlier...the robber had gone in through the kitchen window accessible from that same gated off area...

So I wrote out a letter of me being outraged at the police dept. Just a start but I'm open to critiques! I am thinking of emailing it to each member of the city council? Should I just send it out to everyone I can think off, well, who other posters mentioned...Can I post it here for you guys to look at and critique?

Old 07-16-2010, 09:22 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,776,455 times
Does it have anything to do with automotives? Or have you now turned the subject to "how I feel about the police department?" If it's the latter, perhaps a different part of the forum would be more useful. As everyone here has mentioned, over and over and over and over (and over) again, you need to talk to a lawyer. This is a legal matter, not a car matter.

Old 07-16-2010, 02:31 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,961,276 times
I am one of the first one page one that said to stop talking about the parts that were confuing and could convict the OP. I also mentioned getting a lawyer. I know about these a little since I got framed by a bad cop. That bad cop is now serving some honest time, but I do wonder about how many others he framed and got away with it.

It is wise to attempt to figure out what kind of a cop you are dealing with, before you do. But hey these are just my opinions based of being framed by cops twice no less, and a fire marshall though once he would give it a try too.

Since this is the internet, I can't be sure of nuthin. But then I don't have too, and am as free as anyone to voice my opinion, based on hearsay.

I for one think it is criminal the op can't see the car, and get pics.

One of the times i was framed it was over a so called hit and run, Thje cops from another town drove to where I lived, out of their jurisdiction btw, I gave them coffee, we talked, I took it as a done deal. No sooner did the good officer get back to his station he called to request i turn myself in. What happened after I did was all illegal and the judge was told so. I was found innocent, but still have a record which can be expunged for a mere 500 bucks. Fat chance the state will ever see any 500 bucks for that.

This serves to protect the innocent as well as can be with out a lawyer. Another opinion I have.

I got lots more storys about cops too.

In Mass returning from PA where i had been 10 days at a Buck Skinner's Ron Dee Voo, I stopped for water for my horse and food for me right off the interstate.

I was still in buck skin clothing I made by hand. I bought the food take out and the place was pleased to fill my horses pail twice from a sipgot out back, and outdoors.

I remained alone and ate in the truck. Once i was done I checked the tires and the trailer, a habit, got in to drive and did into the state road, and was stopped before I got the trailer straight.

The cop said i looked suspious. I have no idea why, since I was wearing outlandish clothing by the days standards. He went right into the truck cab illegally and began to handle my personal musuem quality items with not bothering to ask permission. He was very crudly attempting to open the breech on a flint lock pistol, which can't be opened period. Mean while he has his back to me and i was considering to shoot the SOB with his own Glock.

After 45 minutes of being detained for no more than minding my own business, I demanded his badge number and to be arrested, I informed him that the horse would need to be taken to the SPCA, and once I was done with him in court that he would indeed pay all the bills i incurred and be demoted to master of hamburger flippers too boot. That I would sue him into the dirt so deep a grave would look better.

Suddenly that fool of an officer saw the light and decided the better parts of valor were to let me go.

Cops don't decide what is a legal matter the court does. But that has a cost too.

Old 07-16-2010, 03:44 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,838,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seven up View Post
The only two words I can think of that may help are "attorney general". Given your financial situation.

If their' office cannot help you then certainly they can recommend the correct state agency.

Or city comptroller for a localized complaint. You could work for years on this and get nowhere.
I don't see where he has any real legal compaint really that a attoney general can help i or especailly a comtroller. His case is likely to be decided by local prosecutor;judge or the district attoney as to if charges are filed. He has just been told they think he is guilty by the police.He deosn't have to talk to tehm and they have a right to file their inforamtio with teh courts when thru.Nothing so far as been filed other than a report. I only base what I said on info. provide by him if it is true.

Old 07-20-2010, 04:44 PM

54 posts, read 190,356 times
The investigation showed nothing. The investigator said there would not be enough evidence in court to "prove" I crashed into the other car so no charges filed.

The investigator had released my car the first Monday after the incident and told me I could've picked my car up that Monday. However every time I went down there, the police said I "had to talk to the investigator" or make an appointment. All they had to do was say to me "Oh, your car is ok for release". I feel they were giving me the run around since they STILL believe it was me who crashed into the other car. I'm sure they got off making the "hit & run guy who got away with it" fork out all those extra impound fees...even the investigator still said he thinks I was the guilty party. They can't seem to wrap their brains around the concept of...big truck backing into little car, knocking it up on the curb. I printed out my internet history for the whole day including showing the sites I was on at the reported time of accident as well as when cops showed up at my door - you can see the break in time when officers were talking to me. Of course, none of that mattered after the investigation results.

This worries me though, if I come across the vehicle that struck my car, what can I do if police think I hit him? What if the person who called cops came out and saw the hitter and said, 'Hey did that car just smash into you?" "Uhhhh, ummmm, yeah, YEAH, he crashed into ME! Call the cops!" If the "witness" wrote down the plates off the vehicle that hit mine for police, would police have contacted him and asked if they wanted to press charges against me??

Anyway, I got my car back last Friday with smashed headlight & turn signal, slight body damage (pushed in a bit). It was 115.00 for the police release fee and 615.00 for impound fees.

I know who the "witness" is - found the person online - and am thinking of sending a warm "Thank You" note...

Thanks for all the advice and different opinions everybody!!!

Old 07-20-2010, 05:53 PM

10,914 posts, read 31,394,981 times
Don't say anything to the witness. I would let the situation go, and keep hold of the resources you found should you need them at some point in the future. I have no doubt that they were trying to get as much in fees out of you as possible, and seemed to be trying to make a case where there was none. It should die down, but I wouldn't do anything to spark interest, just document everything.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 07-20-2010, 08:11 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,673,901 times
Yes I would pay up, leave the "witness" alone and move on with life chalking it up to experience.

Somethings in life are worth paying for and then moving on from, rather than dragging it out to all eternity and complicating things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive