Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2010, 08:21 AM

968 posts, read 2,624,530 times

Advertisements

I have no close friends that know what they're doing when they open the hood, they just kinda like to look like they do. i was asked "whats that round silver thing with the copper wires?" (asking about the alternator) and i don't know too much about cars, just enough to keep a beater running if i need to.

So this is my serpentine belt. every morning i start my car, i go click, it goes vroom, and after the initial start up it begins an oscillating squeak incredibly similar to a hamster wheel. (its a four pot so you can imagine the comments)

so at the right of the image is my alternator. to the left (center of the image) is another silver thing that looks like its attached to the alternator. (i've never seen that before but then again i've never removed an alternator)

that little silver thing has a wheel below it, and that is whats squeaking. it moves back and forth in sequence with the squeaks.

any ideas on how to make it stop squeaking? (it has a new belt)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2010, 08:27 AM

3,189 posts, read 4,982,181 times
That is your spring-loaded belt tensioner. It's best to just replace it when it begins squealing.

Old 07-12-2010, 08:29 AM

1,290 posts, read 2,569,508 times
I think you need a new radiator cap.
Maybe a muffler bearing.
Possibly a turboenabulator.

Seriously though, I see no image, but it sounds as though you are describing a belt tensioner.

Old 07-12-2010, 08:29 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,687,668 times
Yeah, that's the belt tensioner. If it's squeaking the only fix is to replace it. It's a pretty easy repair.

Old 07-12-2010, 08:36 AM

well this has been going on since 40,000 miles, the dealer lubricated the belt, and it went away for a while. but its come back twice and now its back to stay. my cars at 57,000 miles and i'm curious if i can get it fixed under warranty (warranty expired at 50,000)

the last 3 cars i've bought have had tensioner issues (previous cars had them replaced under warranty and all 3 have made vastly different squeaks but i can see the relation)

so audi just said total cost for replacement $162.50

and i'm seeing tensioners on google for 30 bucks.

Old 07-12-2010, 08:40 AM

That's between you and the dealership.

I hope he didn't "lubricate" the belt, but only sprayed some belt dressing on it which is supposed to stop the belt from slipping and squealing. But that was not a REAL fix if the problem was the tensioner all along.

Seriously...this isn't a real expensive part, nor is it complicated to replace. I'd probably just save my blood pressure from arguing with the dealer and stick a new one on.

Old 07-12-2010, 08:45 AM

yeah, you're right, thats what i'm gonna do, the part is 85 bucks for my car online (dealers gonna call me back with their 300% markup.) (wish i still had the saturn...35 bucks for a tensioner on google.)

amazing how i've been stressing over this problem for 6 months and in less than an a half hour it gets solved on the automotive forum.

you guys are awesome, thank you!

Old 07-12-2010, 08:49 AM

What is the make, year, and model?

DON'T buy it from the dealership!

Check with a decent parts store too for the part.

Old 07-12-2010, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoobleKar View Post
What is the make, year, and model?

DON'T buy it from the dealership!

Check with a decent parts store too for the part.
its a 2007 audi a3.

what would you say is decent? Napa? auto zone? do they sell those parts?

decent is definitley not the dealer,

he came back to me with 230 bucks with part and labor. 160 was just the labor.

he also suggested that since the squeak went away when they lubricated it, to just start with the belt. he is saying the tensioner would have continued to squeak after the dressing was applied if it were the tensioner.

and this is the manager of service talking to me.

Old 07-12-2010, 09:27 AM

Oh OK......now I can see why the tensioner is $85. I'm not so sure Autozone or NAPA would have one for an Audi. Of course it would only cost you a phone call to find out.

ANY tiny garage or service station could replace it for you while you wait...don't pay dealership labor.

If you want to test the service manager's theory first, then run into any auto parts store and buy a spray can of belt dressing. Start the motor and spray the dressing onto the belt (both sides) as it turns. Just be careful that you don't over-do it and be prepared for the excess to fly off the belt and into your face....LOL. It can't hurt to try that, although you did say the belt was new and if the tensioner is doing it's job properly, it shouldn't need the belt dressing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive