Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2010, 02:02 PM

4,500 posts, read 12,343,711 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lux Hauler View Post
I guess your missing something here. You have two opposing sides here trying to promote what they think is best. The minority opinion typically loses. The opinion of the OP is certainly in the minority. Why? Because thats how were are over here... everyone who doesn't like it can either try to change it and likely fail or they can just leave. They have the right to that choice.

So when you see that the majority of this thread is most certainly opposed to the OP it is quite clear that the American way is at work. That's why I love this country. However when you start to shift the power from the people to the government that is when the sh*t hits the fan for Constitutional Americans such as myself. We are not intended to be a people run by the government, it's the other way around... completely. For the government to coerce its people to only own only property they deem acceptable, as in this case, is ridiculous.

It's not going to happen. I'm going to drive whatever I wish to drive. And I expect to be treated just the same as any other driver on the road.
And what on earth have I said to oppose this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2010, 02:08 PM

3,306 posts, read 12,221,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheViking85 View Post
And what on earth have I said to oppose this?

Well you just seem awfully perplexed as to why we despise government control and why people tell other people to take a hike when something as ridiculous as this comes up. You also seem to think that national changes are easily accomplished by working at a community level... Wanting something done on a state level is one thing but asking something like this on a national level is absurd. That is just the impression I am getting from you here...

Old 07-16-2010, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Well you just seem awfully perplexed as to why we despise government control and why people tell other people to take a hike when something as ridiculous as this comes up. You also seem to think that national changes are easily accomplished by working at a community level... Wanting something done on a state level is one thing but asking something like this on a national level is absurd. That is just the impression I am getting from you here...
I'm perplexed when someone openly tells someone else to disregard the constitutional rights he has, just as you, yes.

Telling someone to take a hike is quite possibly the worst argument in history, and only displays the, at best, ignorance and short sightedness of those who say it.

I never said that national changes are easily accomplished by working locally, but sitting on your ass and complaining whilst doing nothing (for some, not even vote "because there's no point") is most certainly the easiest way not to get things accomplished. What I DID say was that there is a lot one CAN do locally, and that those changes often times have a far more direct impact in your life.

And when was "it's not like we can change it" ever a good reason not to discuss something? If that's the case we might as well stop talking all together.

What I did say in my initial reply, was that meeting an argument you don't like with "Then move" is about as intelligent as making babies with your sister.

Old 07-16-2010, 02:49 PM

Quote:
What I did say in my initial reply, was that meeting an argument you don't like with "Then move" is about as intelligent as making babies with your sister.
It's not an argument, merely a suggestion. And believe it or not many people do move... or they just sit around whining and complaining all day. Very few actually act on convenient thoughts. Like I mentioned earlier, amateur armchair enthusiasts... they sit at their computers maybe raise a saber into the air once and a while and start proclaiming what so and so should do and how they should act. They think people's rights and free will are part of some board game.

Old 07-16-2010, 02:58 PM

Quote:
It's not an argument, merely a suggestion. And believe it or not many people do move... or they just sit around whining and complaining all day. Very few actually act on convenient thoughts. Like I mentioned earlier, amateur armchair enthusiasts... they sit at their computers maybe raise a saber into the air once and a while and start proclaiming what so and so should do and how they should act. They think people's rights and free will are part of some board game.
You shouldn't underestimate the power of enough people with computers, Facebook groups (amongst other things) have had massive impacts before, so has, technically legal, online demonstrations as well.

And believe it or not, but if the majority of the population renounced some of their rights, they would most likely be removed.

You seem to mistake favoring a certain type of legislation and forcing people to do a certain thing though.

Old 07-16-2010, 03:08 PM

5,760 posts, read 11,545,794 times
Would not placing additoinal tax on Oil based motor fuels do the same thing as the OP was suggesting?

Fewer Oil based miles driven, cleaner air, help balance the .gov budget, and cut down on Oil imports.

What's not to love?

Old 07-16-2010, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip T View Post
Would not placing additoinal tax on Oil based motor fuels do the same thing as the OP was suggesting?

Fewer Oil based miles driven, cleaner air, help balance the .gov budget, and cut down on Oil imports.

What's not to love?
And what about transportation, freight, construction, contractor, delivery, etc. vehicles? Does everyone have to suffer so that hybrid driving, desk job Joe Schmo can come home to suburbia ever day and rest assured that little Johnny has only the purest air running through his lungs?

Old 07-16-2010, 03:32 PM

1,302 posts, read 2,948,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip T View Post

What's not to love?
Why is taxing everything the liberal/Democrat solution to everything?

Old 07-16-2010, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinsanity View Post
Why is taxing everything the liberal/Democrat solution to everything?
What's your solution?

Pretend like there's no Global Warming debate for a second and simply deal with the fact that pollution is still dramatically on the rise, and this has direct, measurable effects on our health, air pollution is one of those thongs, and cars, trucks etc pollute the air with fumes from the engine as well as dust from the roads.

What should we do to meet this steady increase in dangerous toxins?

Old 07-16-2010, 04:35 PM

5,007 posts, read 15,422,379 times
Quote:
What's your solution?

Pretend like there's no Global Warming debate for a second and simply deal with the fact that pollution is still dramatically on the rise, and this has direct, measurable effects on our health, air pollution is one of those thongs, and cars, trucks etc pollute the air with fumes from the engine as well as dust from the roads.

What should we do to meet this steady increase in dangerous toxins?

Well, given that automobiles make up a tiny percentage of the leading causes of pollution and global warming (which is not a good argument to use since it's not firm fact), I'd tend to focus more on things that actually cause real pollution.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive