Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2010, 05:45 PM

4,500 posts, read 12,268,604 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by getmeoutofhere View Post
Well, given that automobiles make up a tiny percentage of the leading causes of pollution and global warming (which is not a good argument to use since it's not firm fact), I'd tend to focus more on things that actually cause real pollution.
Like I said, disregard Global Warming.

Look at fact like children living in close proximity to the shipping and docking lanes of cargo ships in SF developing cancer types and illnesses usually linked with OAP, look at the continuous rise in people who get Asthma, and how this is particularly prevalent in densely trafficked areas as well as areas with a lot of farming equipment/trucking (diesel fumes).

And would you agree that cars pollute? If so, what's wrong with trying to make them pollute less? Lotus didn't make a great car out of the Elise only by focusing on the big things, they made it great by saving weight on stupid little things like hollowing out the gear knob.

But for the sake of argument, what things to you focus on to solve the real pollution?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2010, 05:47 PM

5,007 posts, read 15,349,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheViking85 View Post
But for the sake of argument, what things to you focus on to solve the real pollution?

I'm thinking the chemical factory on the way to my parents house that I see when I visit puts out more pollution in one hour than all the cars on the road in Dallas do in that hour.

Old 07-16-2010, 05:49 PM

4,500 posts, read 12,268,604 times
Quote:
I'm thinking the chemical factory on the way to my parents house that I see when I visit puts out more pollution in one hour than all the cars on the road in Dallas do in that hour.
So surely we should do something about that too, shouldn't we?

Old 07-16-2010, 05:53 PM

5,007 posts, read 15,349,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheViking85 View Post
So surely we should do something about that too, shouldn't we?

Yes. Probably before you get started on cars, too.

In fact, I wouldn't worry much about cars. We should be getting the promised flying cars / hoverboards anytime now.

Old 07-16-2010, 06:31 PM

5,494 posts, read 9,431,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Dawg View Post
And this is why people detest liberalism. All you liberals want to do is control the behavior of everyone else through taxation and/or government regulation. It's not enough to be left alone and to leave others alone, you liberals have to have the government control every aspect of everyone's daily lives like parents of small children. We live in a free country. If you want to drive around in a little green golf cart then that's your right. But where do you get the nerve thinking you can legislate others out of their cars and into golf carts? Either regulate the auto industry into only making little green golf carts or tax everyone so much that they're forced into giving up their cars in favor of golf carts? Where's the liberty in that? There are plenty of fascist dictatorships in this world you can live in if you hate freedom so much (Cuba, Venezuela, Zimbabwe). But don't tell me to leave my country because I don't want to live my life according to your rules. You have no right.
Just who is being liberal here? I'm just proposing that gasoline taxes are raised enough to fully pay for the maintenance of existing roads/highways, and the construction of new ones. Those opposed to higher fuel taxes seem to feel they are entitled to government subsidized roads and highways.

Old 07-16-2010, 07:20 PM

35,309 posts, read 51,976,495 times
I'd say all cars are taxed at the pump, you want a big car you are going to use more gas and thereby pay more tax,I dont like paying extra tax just to drive around so i fill up my Yaris once a month for about $35, my brothers Dodge Duellie will go through a few hundred dollars a week. Funny thing is he hates the current government and he gets irritated when i remind him of all the taxes he's shelling out to them.Says he needs a big truck for towing stuff but he's so broke he doesnt have any toys left to tow.
As for economizing as a nation? wont happen until gas prices get north of $5gal, for the moment theres no incentive to get out of the 20mpg cars and into the 40mpg+ cars

Old 07-22-2010, 10:02 PM

1,758 posts, read 3,813,917 times
I own big heavy vehicles that I really don't "need" but I economize by planning my trips and eliminating any frivolous cruising. The reason I drive the big behemoths is the safety factor of having a large heavy vehicle with a true frame. All the tractor-trailers get larger and heaver, with double and triple trailers in some states. So, why should I jeopardize my own safety by going out there riding on a flimsy little roller skate. If they tax me, I'll just pay it. And buy less Chinese crap at Wal-Mart to make up for it, lol. In a rollover, a head-on, or a high speed collision, my vehicles are designed to take the abuse and protect the passengers.

Old 07-22-2010, 10:08 PM

1,758 posts, read 3,813,917 times
Quote:

They flare some stuff and they continuously vent loads of steam. Maybe shake down the boilers once in a while and there might be a little flyash. The Feds get irate about true pollution, but some of that stuff has a really strong odor and a little release is noticed. I'm curious about what pollution they are releasing.

Old 07-27-2010, 03:06 PM

968 posts, read 2,611,468 times
i love "cruising" i'll hop on the highway and just drive because its therapeutic.

and they need to use the taxes we're already giving them, more efficiently.

like telling your kid to spend his lunch money on lunch, and then he buys comics and then he tells you to buy him lunch.

no.

Old 07-27-2010, 03:31 PM

13,715 posts, read 30,993,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SorryIMovedBack View Post
I own big heavy vehicles that I really don't "need" but I economize by planning my trips and eliminating any frivolous cruising. The reason I drive the big behemoths is the safety factor of having a large heavy vehicle with a true frame. All the tractor-trailers get larger and heaver, with double and triple trailers in some states. So, why should I jeopardize my own safety by going out there riding on a flimsy little roller skate. If they tax me, I'll just pay it. And buy less Chinese crap at Wal-Mart to make up for it, lol. In a rollover, a head-on, or a high speed collision, my vehicles are designed to take the abuse and protect the passengers.
Your heavy vehicles take 30-100 more feet to stop from 60 MPH and are far worse avoiding accidents.

But so what, right? Whoever you collide with will suffer more than you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive