Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2010, 08:19 PM

3,306 posts, read 12,225,602 times

Advertisements

Yes, I know these things are illegal in many places but I would like to install one purely for functionality. Any suggestions where to get a heavy duty unit? I see a bunch on the web but they look very chinsy and pretty much just sold as another "hot rod" accessory. I want one that will work well, one that won't fall apart on me. If it has a grease fitting, its probably a strong unit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2010, 09:49 PM

17,475 posts, read 66,074,768 times
These are probably the best and most expensive on the market. Some of my boating friends swear by them- especially those with multi- outboard engines.

Edson PowerKnobs

Old 08-04-2010, 10:40 PM

5,994 posts, read 20,097,411 times
I could be saying this in pure ignorance (so correct me if I'm wrong) but how lazy does one have to be to need assistance in turning a powered steering wheel. This isn't exactly a difficult task to begin with. I understand that these knobs were popular when many cars were not equipped with power steering but today this seems to be a non issue.

If you're doing this purely for cosmetic purposes for some type of classic show car or boat/tractor/disability/etc, then disregard this post.

Old 08-05-2010, 06:26 AM

2,324 posts, read 7,626,328 times
I knew them as necker knobs when I was a teenager, I guess so a guy could drive and corner with one hand while holding on to his girlfriend. One bad result of the knob is if you went around a corner and then let go, the wheel would spin and the knob would hit you in the elbow, hard.

Old 08-05-2010, 06:40 AM

3,306 posts, read 12,225,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iTsLiKeAnEgG View Post
I could be saying this in pure ignorance (so correct me if I'm wrong) but how lazy does one have to be to need assistance in turning a powered steering wheel.
Understandable. The vehicle I am installing it on is about 4.5 turns lock to lock. The effort to turn the wheel is quite a bit more than a typical car. Maneuvering around parking lots, city streets and generally tight places can be a bit of a chore when you need to make a tight turn quickly. It often requires me to slow down significantly and do a quite a bit of hand-over-hand or some heavy "palm" spinning. The truck is also a manual so that is just another thing to coordinate. All the same reasons why you see them on buses, tractors and other large vehicles.

Could I manage with what I have? Absolutely. I have been since I bought the thing however I don't think one is necessarily lazy just because they would like to improve the amount of control they have over their vehicle.

Old 08-05-2010, 06:54 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,702,592 times
They're dangerous, but I'm sure you know that. I know quite a few truckers with broken thumbs and other injuries from them. Not knocking your decision, because it's yours, just making a statement. You may want to check local laws as they are banned in some states and you can be ticketed for them.

With that said, the best place to find them is going to be a website or store that sells trucker accessories.

Old 08-05-2010, 07:02 AM

8,733 posts, read 15,943,948 times
My JD tractor has one actually built into the steering wheel, and , I have full hydraulic power steering.Would be hard to operate without it, having four wheel steering and four wheel drive all at the same time.

Old 08-05-2010, 07:41 AM

5,994 posts, read 20,097,411 times
Ahh, makes sense.

Old 08-05-2010, 07:58 AM

8,733 posts, read 15,943,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iTsLiKeAnEgG View Post
Ahh, makes sense.
yes , a far cry from the "girly" knobs we bought at the Western Auto to put on our old Fords...so long ago.....And , they did break off as I recall, caused several accidents.

Old 08-05-2010, 04:45 PM

15,436 posts, read 25,822,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
They're dangerous, but I'm sure you know that. I know quite a few truckers with broken thumbs and other injuries from them. Not knocking your decision, because it's yours, just making a statement. You may want to check local laws as they are banned in some states and you can be ticketed for them.

With that said, the best place to find them is going to be a website or store that sells trucker accessories.
Can someone explain the danger? I have one as part of my hand controls (disability). Which states ban them?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive