U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2014, 07:10 PM

6,864 posts, read 11,146,998 times

Advertisements

I replaced my ecu about 3 weeks ago for my Honda. Intermittent signal to injector. As a previous post noted, you can purchase a rebuilt/tested ECU or ECM from Cardone. [major ECM rebuilder] They are business to business only but you can order it from any auto parts store. My cost $200 plus $40 core. It's an easy job. ECU is usually in the engine compartment, at the passenger feet or under a seat. Takes 5 minutes. A few plugs and a few bolts/nuts. Mine didn't need programming.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2014, 10:58 PM

20,605 posts, read 21,454,109 times
I would only trust a company that does REAL repair/remanufacturing of ECM's/PCM's and other component level auto electronic work.

There is a lot involved in doing a proper rebuild of a car's computer.....mainly, properly diagnosing what is wrong with the PCM they are going to rebuild. I would look for a rebuilder who has a long and reliable track record in this area.

Old 04-04-2014, 06:44 AM

2,600 posts, read 7,985,521 times
Buy a working one from a salvage yard with a warranty and then have it reprogrammed for your vehicle.

Old 02-08-2015, 09:00 AM

2 posts, read 2,623 times
the same thing happen to me i owned an Opel Vauxhall Vita Corsa b automatic year 1998 i went in 5 with 6 technicians from auto electrician to key maker then to car enginneer mechanic and another electrician then the last electrician try to make surgery he remove three small eeprom ics cause the said its problem with immobiliser try to fix the ecu ,but he didnt he just said after it was touched faulted from before and cannot be repaired .Also if for another one it will cost 500euro
what is your comment?
my email andreoundreas29@yahoo.com

Old 02-08-2015, 06:23 PM

384 posts, read 634,902 times
Take it to another dealer

Old 02-24-2015, 12:40 AM

2 posts, read 2,623 times
as i remember only him he open and make surgery on my car ecu and he show to me the ics that he remove ,he told me to try the ecu and if it will not work to bring to him back and he will try again ,at the end of this story he didnt do nothing to help me with my problem he just said that someone touch it from before and it was faulted
cannot fixed or programmed and if he found another ecu cost 500euro that is the value of this car today.

Old 07-27-2015, 06:34 PM

1 posts, read 1,146 times
I have a 1996 Hornet motor home with a f350 chassi and a 7.5 V8 that's in the shop. Been there for 6weeks now. They keep finding things wrong. All started with a tune up. Then they suggested I need to decarbonize the engine, since it was sitting for a couple years. The injectors kept clogging so they did it again. Then they said it was the ECM, which needed to be replaced for $900.00. They just sent me an email now saying it's being rebuilt. I think I'm being taken to the cleaners. Any suggestions on how to confront them when they give me the bill.

Old 07-27-2015, 06:45 PM

5,940 posts, read 3,269,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bam531 View Post
Hi all..I have a 2005 Kia Sportage and the air conditoner is blowing hot air. Took it to the Kia dealer and had an test done on it and they have said I need an new ECM. They first said it was still under warranty and then a week later they said no, it is not under warranty. (It has 92,00 miles on it)Unfortunnately the ECM is only covered for 8 year, 80,000 miles. The ECM will cost me around $1,300 to get it replaced (at the dealership). Here is my question..there is a garage in a nearby town that says they can rebuild the ECM for around $500. Can this be done? I have had other people tell me that you cannot fix an ECM, that it needs to be replaced. I called Auto Zone to see if I can buy the ECM there instead of at the dealership...I can..but they can't find the price for it. Any ideas?? Thanks!!

Get a 2nd opinion. Unfortunately many people and technicians will assume its the most complicated part that causes a problem, when in fact, most of the time its a simple common problem, like in your case, maybe the compressor is not running due to low Freon, and the pressure switch cut it off. or a faulty pressure switch, or relay. It could be anything.

If it is the ECM, you may have to take the part numbers off the old one, and the scrap yards can check and most times match the part number. All ECMs are not unique, or made specifically for that vehicle. They are made for a vehicle that has all the same equipment, engine size, etc., etc., and will interchange with any vehicle that's just like yours, which may have been made in the thousands. In your case, any 2005 KIA Sportage that has all the same equipment that your has, will have the same ECM.

Old 07-27-2015, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crestliner View Post
I would not go back to that KIA dealer..NEVER . I have never known of the central ECM being related to an air conditioner blowing warm air.....
Its possible if the vehicle has an AC cutoff for Wide open throttle, which the signal would originate from the TPS and be sent to the ECM, I would think. However, have never heard of one quitting due to that.

Old 07-27-2015, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradmorrispgh View Post
I've been reading everything and want to ask....I have a 1996 Chrysler Town and Country that is not firing on all cylinders and have done everything except replacing the ECM and wiring harness leading to it. My question is......I can find a used one for $90, but will my van run when it is installed?
Instead of "Shotgun" replacing parts, hoping to hit the problem, have it checked out and ask for an estimate. Doesn't sound like an ECM problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive