Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2010, 09:52 AM

5,228 posts, read 15,282,410 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lux Hauler View Post
LOL... so in your world there are just line workers and executives? Right...

In reality, its likely that there are more than either of those comined in the engineering, design, accounting, marketing and financing departments. Oh, and thats just the in house stuff.... what about all of the independent firms these companies hire that research or design, test and build specific vehicle components? The domestic, or "domestic" as you may call them, hire more American workers than the foreign makes.
And those foreign firms have all those design and engineering faciliteis right here in the US, as well.

GM built a brand new design facility in Sweden. Ford has a nice on in the UK. How is that helping Americans? And BMW's worldwide design facility is in California (Designworks USA was an independent company that does automotive and industrial design, but back in the early '90s, BMW bought them and it becaem their worldwide design headquarters.) Subaru, Nissan and Toyota all have design and engineering HQs here, as does Honda. Honda goes one step further and builds cars her ethat get exported back to Japan, so Japanese people buying Hondas tend to put the money into American pockets.

Many of the suppliers for Japanese and European companies are based here in the US, also.

Seriously, you really have no clue what you're talking about.

Again, up until recently, profits from domestic manufacturer car sales went to buying up foreign car companies. So those "profits" went out of country, while the profits from foregn companies, from Honda to Toyota to VW, Mercedes, and BMW, went to investing right here in the US. Profits. Those things that the ignorant say stay in the country the headquarters of the car companies are from.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2010, 10:37 AM

11,334 posts, read 26,074,740 times
I purchased my 94 Accord as a used car from a Honda dealer in 1996.

Since I haven't had to make a decision since then for my own vehicle, I guess I'd have to say I still prefer Asian cars.

I've only owned four vehicles ... two Toyotas, and two Hondas, but I think the decision to go with Asian vehicles made a lot more sense in the 80's and early 90's. Now, I'm not so sure, and would probably be open to a number of American models.

Old 07-16-2010, 10:38 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,668,651 times
Also, what most people don't realize is that the foreign branches of car companies operate as seperate entities within the country the cars are sold in. For instance, Toyota's sold in North America are not sold by "Toyota", but are sold by "Toyota North America". These entities are responsible for paying all applicable corporate taxes and obeying all laws. It is still true that GM and Ford employee more American's than anyone else, but Toyota, Honda and most of the foreign car makers over the past 10 years have actually paid more money in U.S. taxes since they have generally been profitable. Yes, the ultimate profits end up overseas (with a lot of it being reinvested back in the U.S.), but we do get our share based on the cars sold here and the profits have created U.S. jobs.

However, I will reiterate that people should shop for the best car for them without preconceived notions based on nameplate or country of origin. The automotive industry is global. Reward the people who build good products with your business. I am proud that when I bought my Malibu that it was a great car and built in the U.S. 5 years ago I wouldn't have touched an American sedan with a ten foot pole. If it wasn't for people not buying the cars, the American brands would have never been driven to change. Look at a company today like Honda. They have certainly lost their way recently. If people continue to buy Honda's simply because it's a Honda, why would they change and correc their mistakes?

Old 07-16-2010, 10:44 AM

2,735 posts, read 6,733,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by outafocus View Post
The Asian cars are WAY better than anything that spews out of Detroit. Ford does have one great car, the Fusion. It is a Mazda design, built in Mexico. Not giving this important vehicle to the UAW was probably the best decision ever made at Ford.

My Asian makes were both made in the United States.

I bought my final Detroit car in 1990. I will NEVER let them shaft me again.
Really, you've test driven every car out there to make that assumption? You must be tired of so much driving!

We buy American, my family has always bought American....we haven't had any problems at all, EXCEPT when a few years ago my husband was truck shopping and was really having a hard time deciding between a Ford (or Chev, can't remember) and a Nissan Titan...he chose the Titan for looks and BIG MISTAKE....that was his lesson, stick to American...by the way, my husband works for Ford and has many happy, lifelong customers.

Old 07-16-2010, 10:46 AM

78,339 posts, read 60,527,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calisnuffy View Post
What is your preference?
All things being equal, I try to buy american.
However, if they aren't making what you need then I will buy asian etc.
(There was NOTHING domestic in the category of a Toyota Highlander that met it's size without going to a truck frame....and when I bought my no-frills corolla back in 2000 there was nothing domestic even close to it.)

I personally feel that anyone that is highly brand loyal to a certain manufacturer like Toyota, Ford etc. is doing themselves a disservice because no one manufacturer has the best model across the board.

Also, American quality has closed the gap and I think you are paying a bit more for comparable Asian cars right now since some people have the old quality perception.

I've spent roughly 80k on American cars and 40k on Asian cars in my adult life to date. 1 Ford, 1 Chevy, 2 toyotas.

Old 07-16-2010, 11:03 AM

7,688 posts, read 29,143,792 times
I bought my Ford Fusion because it was a really good car that I was able to get cheap, because everyone thought Ford would go bankrupt and they were staying away in droves. Two years later, Ford is still around and I have a great car..

Had a Honda and a Toyota before. Still would consider them again if my car got totaled.

Old 07-16-2010, 11:04 AM

3,306 posts, read 12,215,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc63 View Post
And those foreign firms have all those design and engineering faciliteis right here in the US, as well.

GM built a brand new design facility in Sweden. Ford has a nice on in the UK. How is that helping Americans?
How is it not helping Americans is the real question. Are these facilities expansions or transplants? Or are you just blurting out random facts?

Quote:
And BMW's worldwide design facility is in California (Designworks USA was an independent company that does automotive and industrial design, but back in the early '90s, BMW bought them and it becaem their worldwide design headquarters.) Subaru, Nissan and Toyota all have design and engineering HQs here, as does Honda. Honda goes one step further and builds cars her ethat get exported back to Japan, so Japanese people buying Hondas tend to put the money into American pockets.
So are you trying to say that all of those companies employ more American engineers and designers than people of their country of origin? I could care less where they lay down their bricks, who they are predominantly hiring is the larger issue. I find it hard to believe that BMW for instance has more American engineers and designers than they do Germans. I could only hope that's true.

Quote:
Many of the suppliers for Japanese and European companies are based here in the US, also.

Seriously, you really have no clue what you're talking about.
Or do you just have trouble reading? I never said anything contradictory to what you have typed thus far.

Quote:
Again, up until recently, profits from domestic manufacturer car sales went to buying up foreign car companies. So those "profits" went out of country, while the profits from foregn companies, from Honda to Toyota to VW, Mercedes, and BMW, went to investing right here in the US. Profits. Those things that the ignorant say stay in the country the headquarters of the car companies are from.
No matter how much spin you try and put on this discussion at the end of the day the domestic companies will have put more food on the dinner tables of American families than the foreign manufacturers.

Old 07-16-2010, 12:15 PM

1,710 posts, read 4,129,944 times
[.

No matter how much spin you try and put on this discussion at the end of the day the domestic companies will have put more food on the dinner tables of American families than the foreign manufacturers.[/quote]

Yeah, on the tables of tow truck drivers, mechanics, and salvage yard operators. Lets not forget the people in the middle east that benefit from Detroit guzzlers, too.

I want value for my dollar, and only Asian car companies deliver it. If an American builds that car, that's icing on the cake.

Old 07-16-2010, 12:38 PM

24,508 posts, read 33,295,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by outafocus View Post
Yeah, on the tables of tow truck drivers, mechanics, and salvage yard operators. Lets not forget the people in the middle east that benefit from Detroit guzzlers, too.
Europe and Japan also build gas guzzlers.

Last edited by Fleet; 07-16-2010 at 12:47 PM..

Old 07-16-2010, 12:54 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,159,468 times
I don't care where the vehicles I buy are made nor where their headquarters are. I would only care if they were made in a country that openly is hostile to the USA and sponsors terrorism against us.

If two vehicles were identical and one was made in the USA, the other not, I would choose the USA vehicle.

If two vehicles were identical USA made, and one was made with UAW workers, the other not, I would choose the non-union vehicle.

Since the above scenarios never actually happen, I buy each and every vehicle on a case by case basis. I buy the best vehicle I can afford that meets my needs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive