Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2010, 11:03 AM

3,306 posts, read 12,220,282 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSX View Post
Agreed. 99% of the time the people who complain that $100k+ cars are too "ostentatious" and are a tasteless way of "flaunting wealth". What they are really trying to say is: "I'm jealous and can't afford it, so I'm going to make a futile attempt to make you feel bad for being successful."
I would disagree... there are certainly more than 1% of people that have legitimate criticism. Such as those wealthy enough to own such automobiles yet decide to invest it into something that is generally considered more practical. Believe it or not there are many down to earth super wealthy people, they just don't feel the need to make themselves known through driving expensive cars or being lavished in fine jewelry.

I'm all for people buying whatever makes them happy... I could care less since its not my money. However to say that others are wrong to peg people for being obvious attention hogs is just as bad as saying people are wrong for how they spend their money. It goes both ways. Pride is nothing to be proud of but neither is envy.

Old 07-18-2010, 02:28 PM

5,007 posts, read 15,421,033 times
The problem is that people who can't realistically look at a $100K car can't comprehend the mindset of someone who can.

For your typical buyer of 6-figure cars, $100K isn't really a lot of money. It's the equivalent of someone with average income deciding to buy a couch or something.

Old 07-18-2010, 03:48 PM
NSX

877 posts, read 2,167,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by getmeoutofhere View Post
The problem is that people who can't realistically look at a $100K car can't comprehend the mindset of someone who can.

For your typical buyer of 6-figure cars, $100K isn't really a lot of money. It's the equivalent of someone with average income deciding to buy a couch or something.
That's exactly right and most people aren't able to comprehend that.

While it's anti-intuitive, people who buy $100K cars are spending less of their money on cars then the guy who buys the $20K Prius. For example, over 90% of Toyotas are financed, while 85% of new Bentley's are cash purchases.

I spoke of my friend who owns a Lamborghini Diablo earlier, and he often gets the condescending "How much did you pay for that?" question and comments like "It's stupid you would spend that kind of money on a car! You could buy a HOUSE for that kind of money!!"

His response: "Why would I need a third house?"

Them:

Just goes to show it's all relative.

Old 07-18-2010, 06:31 PM

78,376 posts, read 60,566,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lux Hauler View Post
I would disagree... there are certainly more than 1% of people that have legitimate criticism. Such as those wealthy enough to own such automobiles yet decide to invest it into something that is generally considered more practical. Believe it or not there are many down to earth super wealthy people, they just don't feel the need to make themselves known through driving expensive cars or being lavished in fine jewelry.

I'm all for people buying whatever makes them happy... I could care less since its not my money. However to say that others are wrong to peg people for being obvious attention hogs is just as bad as saying people are wrong for how they spend their money. It goes both ways. Pride is nothing to be proud of but neither is envy.
Wow. So I bought my card out of pride? gee...I thought I bought it because I love performance cars and had just gone through 5 miserable years of chemotherapy and didn't have to pay 10k+ in out of pocket medical costs each year.

Glad to know Im an attention hog. Frankly, I find your POST juvenile and lacking in worldly experience.

Your post is offensive and stupid. I'm not attacking you of course since thats against the TOS...but your post is shallow.

Old 07-18-2010, 06:57 PM

8,733 posts, read 15,937,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Wow. So I bought my card out of pride? gee...I thought I bought it because I love performance cars and had just gone through 5 miserable years of chemotherapy and didn't have to pay 10k+ in out of pocket medical costs each year.

Glad to know Im an attention hog. Frankly, I find your POST juvenile and lacking in worldly experience.

Your post is offensive and stupid. I'm not attacking you of course since thats against the TOS...but your post is shallow.
That was a strange statement " pride is nothing to be proud of". Not sure at all where this person is coming from...or going.... You don't have to look very hard to see those that have little pride, it shows in the lifestyle, ambition, and last....their front yard.

Old 07-18-2010, 07:33 PM
NSX

877 posts, read 2,167,971 times
Quote:

Completely agree, Mathguy. Glad you made it through everything you went through. I know you're a stand up guy from your posts and hope you're enjoying your awesome Z06 man.

To the people who want to judge: Just because a person buys a flashy car in no way means they are trying to show off. I bought my C5Z06 because I love the looks, acceleration and handling and think it's the best car for the money period. I bought my Lotus Elise because I view it as a beautiful work of art and nothing else on the road handles like it. With both of my cars, certain people around town have yelled derogatory comments like "Show off!" "What are you compensating for?" (Oldest and most stupid cliché in the book) and are too dumb to understand that I did not buy my cars to impress them; I bought them because I'm a car guy through and through.

Everybody has different reasons for buying their vehicles. For a person to negatively judge or making a rude comment to a person for the sole fact that they drive a nice/luxurious/flashy/fast/(fill in the blank) car says a whole lot more about the person making the comment than the person driving the car. It just shows insecurity and lack of class for starters.

On vacations to Florida, I often see cars that are much nicer than mine. One I happened to see up close was a blue Murcielago roadster. I did not get jealous, if anything it gives me something to aspire too. People may assume that these people would automatically be snobby. Nothing could have been further from the truth. I walked up to the guy to the Murcielago and told him he had a beautiful car and he was as nice as could be, spent five minutes talking to me about the car and I didn't sense one ounce of arrogance. On the other hand, the arrogant people who I've met on the road are mostly the people who have the $20K Priuses (Or Prii, whatever the plural), one had the nerve to walk up to me and make a derogatory comment about my Corvette's horrible fuel economy and tried to pick a fight.

My basic point is this: Try to live and let live and don't judge a book by its cover. If you take this attitude, life will be nicer for you and those around you.

Old 07-18-2010, 08:26 PM

3,306 posts, read 12,220,282 times
Quote:

I'll give you the opportunity to re-read my post. I was talking about the critics. The point I was trying to convey is that while not every owner of a high price automobile has them to flaunt wealth there are most certainly people out there that do own them for that reason. If you still deny that to be truth then I have no idea what world you live on. So, again, to say that all critics are envious people does not really make sense.

Old 07-18-2010, 08:47 PM

5,007 posts, read 15,421,033 times
Quote:
CNothing could have been further from the truth. I walked up to the guy to the Murcielago and told him he had a beautiful car and he was as nice as could be, spent five minutes talking to me about the car and I didn't sense one ounce of arrogance.

I've got an ex-baseball player across the road from me who has a garage I can only dream of. I often see him on weekends taking neighborhood kids out in his Lamborghini for rides and such. He's about as nice as you can find.

He bought the cars because he loves them. Period.

Old 07-18-2010, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lux Hauler View Post
I'll give you the opportunity to re-read my post. I was talking about the critics. The point I was trying to convey is that while not every owner of a high price automobile has them to flaunt wealth there are most certainly people out there that do own them for that reason. If you still deny that to be truth then I have no idea what world you live on. So, again, to say that all critics are envious people does not really make sense.
Choose your words more carefully rather than blame others for misinterpreting your comments.

Old 07-18-2010, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Completely agree, Mathguy. Glad you made it through everything you went through. I know you're a stand up guy from your posts and hope you're enjoying your awesome Z06 man.

To the people who want to judge: Just because a person buys a flashy car in no way means they are trying to show off. I bought my C5Z06 because I love the looks, acceleration and handling and think it's the best car for the money period. I bought my Lotus Elise because I view it as a beautiful work of art and nothing else on the road handles like it. With both of my cars, certain people around town have yelled derogatory comments like "Show off!" "What are you compensating for?" (Oldest and most stupid cliché in the book) and are too dumb to understand that I did not buy my cars to impress them; I bought them because I'm a car guy through and through.

Everybody has different reasons for buying their vehicles. For a person to negatively judge or making a rude comment to a person for the sole fact that they drive a nice/luxurious/flashy/fast/(fill in the blank) car says a whole lot more about the person making the comment than the person driving the car. It just shows insecurity and lack of class for starters.

On vacations to Florida, I often see cars that are much nicer than mine. One I happened to see up close was a blue Murcielago roadster. I did not get jealous, if anything it gives me something to aspire too. People may assume that these people would automatically be snobby. Nothing could have been further from the truth. I walked up to the guy to the Murcielago and told him he had a beautiful car and he was as nice as could be, spent five minutes talking to me about the car and I didn't sense one ounce of arrogance. On the other hand, the arrogant people who I've met on the road are mostly the people who have the $20K Priuses (Or Prii, whatever the plural), one had the nerve to walk up to me and make a derogatory comment about my Corvette's horrible fuel economy and tried to pick a fight.

My basic point is this: Try to live and let live and don't judge a book by its cover. If you take this attitude, life will be nicer for you and those around you.
Brilliant post.

Does the guy that collects expensive artwork get accused of being an egocentric? How about the person that has a really nice house?

Basically, I do NOT golf or have other expensive habits....I just like cars and to me they are a work of art and incredibly fun to drive. I am from a family where we ALL cleaned a bank at night (I was 10) to be able to afford disney world (2nd jobs) and both my parents never went to college...we had a garden for extra food and drove really old cars. (I happen to be gifted with an aptitude for the mental, so I make a fraction of any pro-player but yeah....we all cheer for them.)

So, my wife gets cancer. We lived very very frugally hoping she would survive and also paying a lot of out of pocket medical expenses....She was an awesome mom and the kind of woman I hope my sons one day meet. So she dies....I've been cooking meals and trying my best to raise 2 young kids along with what she can contribute despite being bed-ridden and after she dies suddenly...I realize I have 250k sitting in my lap from life insurance and no longer have so many expenses. You know you have been in denial when you suddenly remember while trying to figure out how you are going to afford you funeral expenses....that you had life insurance. ugh.

So, I secure my kids college, I pay down my mortgage to end in about 2 more years, I bump my 401k back to the max and I buy a sportscar because unlike some of the *special people* in this thread I figured out that life is too short and you have to make your own decisions regardless of what others might think. So, I paid cash for a high-end sportscar and have not looked back. It's been quite theraputic and per my nature was a huge bargain.

If you knew me in real life and came by and made some of those comments in front of your friends and family....they'd be ashamed of you.

I think that making hateful comments in general is the venue of racists and other small minded morons. Please weigh your words as they are the measure of your character. I expect this will end this thread. Goodnite.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive