Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2010, 01:55 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,299,308 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgz View Post
I had heard some mention about the Yaris as having high mpg, but when I went to the Toyota site, it's listed only at 29/36.
I dont get that figure as i'm getting between 40 and 45mpg with my 08 Yaris sedan and so is every one else on the YarisWorld forum A few of us have actually got above 50mpg with the Yaris.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2010, 03:15 PM

20,868 posts, read 23,550,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 12GO View Post
The way you defend toyota, do you work for them or just that blinded by them?
Your obvious hatred of all things Toyota has blinded your common senses. Bet you have never even owned one before and are probably a big Ford or Chevy guy.

Old 07-20-2010, 11:08 AM

3,046 posts, read 6,288,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trlhiker View Post
Your obvious hatred of all things Toyota has blinded your common senses. Bet you have never even owned one before and are probably a big Ford or Chevy guy.

Answer my question first, then I'll answer yours. do you work for toyota, or are you just that blinded by them?

Old 07-20-2010, 07:40 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,379,844 times
Prius or Insight? Hmmm tough decision! Would you rather gouge your eyes out with a soup spoon or experience blunt force castration?

Old 07-20-2010, 09:16 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,848,488 times
That is the delimma;without previous tax credit the prius isn't going to pay for the difference in cost mileage wise. But you can get a common civic or carolla and cone=me out better over all test have shown.If your a environmentalist then get what you want by all means. Its your choice not ours.

Old 07-21-2010, 07:46 AM

4,697 posts, read 6,447,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herc130 View Post
There is also the Ford Fiesta that gets 40mpg highway 29 city and I think is more then $10k less then the Pruis for the base model, not sure about the Honda and also not sure what you get with the Fiesta base model compared to the Prius. However, it'll probably take 150,000 miles of driving the Prius before you make up for the price difference from the money you save from better gas milage.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
I spelled out a comparison in another thread that showed a Corolla versus a Prius and it proved out that the Prius does not begin to save money until gas is pushing $6.50+ per gallon. The simply logic is that the hybrid options cost more than comparable "fuel efficient" cars. That difference requires a lot of gas to be made up. Remember, a Prius is a $22k car in base trim.
I've seen a lot of these kinds of comparisons, and while the math is impressive, it also doesn't mean a whole lot since it's an "apples and oranges" comparison. The comparison is valid only when you look at the hybrid version and gas version of the same vehicle - Honda Civic, Ford Escape, Cadillac Escalade, etc.

There is no gas version of the Prius, and therefore no comparison to be made. The Corolla is closer than the Fiesta, but neither one is a gas version of the Prius. To have a true comparison, the specs and features (save the hybrid elements) on each vehicle would have to be the same.

However, if it's an "apples and oranges" comparison that you're looking for - and a real world example, not something made up - in 2006 we traded in an '04 Honda CR-V for an '06 Prius. Very different vehicles. But with the Prius, we got a vehicle:

• with an "out the door" cost in 2006 that was lower than the CR-V cost in 2004;
  • that consequently had lower payments;
  • that cost less to insure;
  • that got more than twice the gas mileage (and the CR-V miles per gallon weren't bad);
  • and - most importantly to us - got us into the HOV lanes in N. Virginia.

The hybrid we bought - a Prius - is clearly the least expensive of the two vehicles, both in initial cost and monthly expenses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOlover View Post
yes you do you pay around $7K-$10K more over a regular gas version of the same car.
No argument here - a hybrid version of a vehicle costs more than the gas version of the same vehicle ... just as automatic costs more than manual, convertible costs more than hardtop, etc., etc.

Old 07-21-2010, 07:52 AM

848 posts, read 1,952,868 times
What ever happened to Honda's VX engine?

We had a Civic with one in the early 90's and it routinely got about 52 mpg.

Old 07-23-2010, 07:04 AM

232 posts, read 632,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenGene View Post
I've seen a lot of these kinds of comparisons, and while the math is impressive, it also doesn't mean a whole lot since it's an "apples and oranges" comparison. The comparison is valid only when you look at the hybrid version and gas version of the same vehicle - Honda Civic, Ford Escape, Cadillac Escalade, etc.

There is no gas version of the Prius, and therefore no comparison to be made. The Corolla is closer than the Fiesta, but neither one is a gas version of the Prius. To have a true comparison, the specs and features (save the hybrid elements) on each vehicle would have to be the same.

However, if it's an "apples and oranges" comparison that you're looking for - and a real world example, not something made up - in 2006 we traded in an '04 Honda CR-V for an '06 Prius. Very different vehicles. But with the Prius, we got a vehicle:

• with an "out the door" cost in 2006 that was lower than the CR-V cost in 2004;
  • that consequently had lower payments;
  • that cost less to insure;
  • that got more than twice the gas mileage (and the CR-V miles per gallon weren't bad);
  • and - most importantly to us - got us into the HOV lanes in N. Virginia.
The hybrid we bought - a Prius - is clearly the least expensive of the two vehicles, both in initial cost and monthly expenses.

No argument here - a hybrid version of a vehicle costs more than the gas version of the same vehicle ... just as automatic costs more than manual, convertible costs more than hardtop, etc., etc.

The comparison is MPG to cost, pretty simple. The Prius is most certainly a gas car amongst also having an electric motor that is recharged via the gas motor and even if it was not, comparing MPG is still "apples to apples". MPG between any car directly compares. I don't understand what your gripe is.

The comparison is how far each vehicle goes per gallon with the non-hybrid car getting a $$$ handy cap for fuel based on the extra cost of the Prius. This is not the cost difference between a lollipop and a sucker, a hamburger or a steak, leather seats or cloth. This was taking an expensive more fuel economical commuter type car that people would buy because of fuel econmy and comparing it to a less fuel economical car that also cost less and showing that the extra cost of the first car cost more then extra fuel savings over the second car.

One car cost $14000. The other Cost $23000. The $23000 car gets far better gas milage, but durring it's life span....hell, exceeding it's life span, it never makes up for the price difference over the first car in fuel savings. That is all the comparison was. I am sorry I cannot make it any more simple for you.

Old 07-23-2010, 08:11 AM

3,306 posts, read 12,221,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenGene View Post
Yes, but usually you pay more to get more. That is not the case with the Prius.

Old 07-24-2010, 12:23 AM

3,046 posts, read 6,288,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Prius or Insight? Hmmm tough decision! Would you rather gouge your eyes out with a soup spoon or experience blunt force castration?

That's a good one! And either car mentioned is like that to your dignity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive