Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2010, 09:16 AM

408 posts, read 809,351 times

Advertisements

Hm...my car says:

-I'm probably still in my mid-20's or younger
-No kids
-Apparently, I like to drive fast or people think my car is fast (which it isn't)
-My mom & dad bought it for me
-Either in high school or college
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2010, 11:00 AM

8,518 posts, read 15,639,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
I join with those who do not care what impression others may get from seeing my vehicle, because I know that their impression is wrong.
Once again, the issue is not whether you care what others think. I don't care what people think of how I dress or let it influence what clothes I buy. But I'm at least aware of the impression it might leave on others.

Old 07-22-2010, 11:25 AM

5,228 posts, read 15,288,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyCrane View Post
But what does your car say about you?
According to that other thread, apparently cars are simply tools that are interchangeable and say nothing about you, and no one can or should make any inferences about the owner from the car they drive/get out of.

Or so I was told.

Frankly, I find that to be a crock. Anyone saying they don't get an intial impression from the car someone drives, or the clothes they wear, or the apartment/house they live in is full of it.

My problem is my cars are so varied that they tend to say wildly divergent things to different people.

This:

and this:

At the same time confused people.

So did this:

and this:

at the same time,

or these:

and this:

at the same time.

All my cars SHOULD say is that I'm a car enthusiast of ALL kinds of cars, in all genres.

Old 07-22-2010, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Once again, the issue is not whether you care what others think. I don't care what people think of how I dress or let it influence what clothes I buy. But I'm at least aware of the impression it might leave on others.
Exactly. Anyone who says they don't care, or are not at least aware of how and why apperances influence other people's judgement, or never makes even an internal initial judgement of someone based on appearances/cleanliness/clothes/style/house/car is either lying or a saint.

If you say you don't immediately form an initial opinion on these people from the clothes they wear, that's impressive. Or a lie.

And if you think you'd get the same result at a typical job interview regardless of which you looked like, you're a fool. Whether you LET other people influence youre choice of clothing, or style, or car, etc or not, you SHOULD at least be aware of the initial impression it leaves on others.

Old 07-22-2010, 11:44 AM

1,302 posts, read 2,948,311 times
holy crap, is that a girl in the first pic? or a guy who has a fetish for high heel shoes?

Old 07-22-2010, 11:59 AM

8,518 posts, read 15,639,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc63 View Post
Exactly. Anyone who says they don't care, or are not at least aware of how and why apperances influence other people's judgement, or never makes even an internal initial judgement of someone based on appearances/cleanliness/clothes/style/house/car is either lying or a saint.
Exactly. I get the impression that some responders are feeling defensive, as if there's something wrong in admitting that you know what others think of you. Being aware of what they think and actually caring are two different things. The guy who sports a mohawk probably doesn't care if people think he's a punk. But he's not stupid or blind and knows that's probably what they think of him.

Old 07-22-2010, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Exactly. I get the impression that some responders are feeling defensive, as if there's something wrong in admitting that you know what others think of you. Being aware of what they think and actually caring are two different things. The guy who sports a mohawk probably doesn't care if people think he's a punk. But he's not stupid or blind and knows that's probably what they think of him.
Caring is also important, which is why we have the term "dress for success" And since time immemorial guys and girls have spent time primping before going out and either trying to meet someone, actually going out on dates, or meeting the parents...

Even the guy with the mohawk probably cares what his chosen friends think of him and wouldn't dress/groom much different than them.

And the people here saying they don't care what others think of their cars probably also wouldn't buy a car that is "too flashy."

Old 07-22-2010, 12:14 PM

747 posts, read 2,758,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc63 View Post
Exactly. Anyone who says they don't care, or are not at least aware of how and why apperances influence other people's judgement
Let's not confuse the two. Knowing (technically, what's happening in this thread is people are assuming or guessing what others think) and caring about it are two completely different things...

Quote:
or never makes even an internal initial judgement of someone based
...as is making one's own judgments vs caring how others see/judge you. And that's not a contradictory or hypocritical stance, either. I'm not faulting anyone for being more or less judgmental than I am; it's just that I don't always care what the judgment is.

The other funny thing about this thread is how many nice things people believe their car says about them (and not a single embarrassing one). It's almost like your cars are moving eHarmony profiles. I'm surprised the list of attributes didn't reach 29 or whatever the magic number is. The best ones are the plainly contradictory ones, e.g. I don't like to blend in, but I don't like to stand out or I like to keep my money in my pocket, but I like to pay cash outright.

I'm a car enthusiast like many of you. I know my cars' strengths and weaknesses very well, and I know exactly why I got them. I too could play the guessing game about what other people think. But A. I don't care what they think, and B. out there in the real world, outside these forums, most people don't know jack: all they see is a color and a badge... and if they tax their brains any more than that, they'll make a (probably faulty) guess on how much you make or console themselves thinking you're insecure/overcompensating/etc.

Old 07-22-2010, 12:40 PM

5,696 posts, read 19,141,697 times
My car says I need a new one.

Old 07-22-2010, 12:48 PM

3,674 posts, read 10,603,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fallingwater View Post
My car says I need a new one.
I have one of those too.

I also have one that says "Heh! they sure saw him getting off the boat"

I wish I had one that screamed "He has a microscopic pecker and a Huge Ego!" but alas the one that smirks and says " he is too cheap to pay sticker for a skateboard" is always with me working on my impulse buying.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive