Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2010, 12:58 PM

5,228 posts, read 15,285,380 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fallingwater View Post
My car says I need a new one.

Hahaha! I've had a few of those!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2010, 01:02 PM

11,039 posts, read 16,854,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Cat View Post
Is that an abandoned gas station?
Yep, abandoned gas station on an abandoned naval station.

Old 07-22-2010, 01:05 PM

795 posts, read 2,298,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyCrane View Post
What Does Your Car Say About You?
Driving Miss Patty.

Old 07-22-2010, 01:08 PM

795 posts, read 2,298,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinsanity View Post
holy crap,
Has that got something to do with the pope?

Old 07-22-2010, 01:15 PM

5,228 posts, read 15,285,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G.Costanza View Post
Let's not confuse the two. Knowing (technically, what's happening in this thread is people are assuming or guessing what others think) and caring about it are two completely different things...
Again, are the "dress for success" proponents full of it? HAve you never cared what you looked like (i.e. what first imopression you were going to make) when going ot to meet someone, be it a potential date or a potential job?

I've met a LOT of cool people through cars. I've had a girl pull up next to me on the interstate while I was in that Daytona Spider and ask me to dinner, and we had a great time talking cars. I often got compliments and had interesting conversations at stores and gas stations when pulling up in that lowered old Falcon. I've had that car left out in front of fancy restaurants with the Ferraris and Rolls Royces (whether that was because the valets thought it was as cool as most people seemed to, or that they just couldn't drive an old 3-on-the-tree manual trans, I'm not sure, but I'll stick with the story that it was just due to being cool...).

I build these cars because I like them, but also because I am not an "off the rack" person and LIKE it being obvious that I'm not bland or desire to "blend in." I'm not at the "art car" level of eccentricity, and never will be. It's not about "ohh, look at me," but more like, if you DO look, know right off where I stand, much like a good haircut and clean clothes don't scream "look at me" but DO say, "if you look, you'll know I'm not a slob." And if the shirt is a vintage Hawaiian broadcloth shirt from the '50s or '60s, you'll also get an inkling of my personality beyond that. And yeah, I do care if people think I'm a slob or not, and I can't see how that's a bad thing.

Old 07-22-2010, 02:12 PM
NSX

877 posts, read 2,167,645 times
I drive both a black Z06 and orange Lotus, which I love driving and feel complement each other well. Have no idea what either one says about me...but always wondered

Old 07-22-2010, 02:26 PM

8,518 posts, read 15,637,996 times
Quote:
Let's not confuse the two. Knowing (technically, what's happening in this thread is people are assuming or guessing what others think) and caring about it are two completely different things...
They are two different things, but some people are reacting as if they think they're the same.

Quote:
The other funny thing about this thread is how many nice things people believe their car says about them (and not a single embarrassing one). It's almost like your cars are moving eHarmony profiles. I'm surprised the list of attributes didn't reach 29 or whatever the magic number is. The best ones are the plainly contradictory ones, e.g. I don't like to blend in, but I don't like to stand out or I like to keep my money in my pocket, but I like to pay cash outright.
Not all of it's nice. In my opening post, I admitted that I didn't buy into the 'Be American, Buy America' pressure. But that's not exactly a positive since it means that someone could look at me and think I'm being disloyal to my country. Again, knowing and caring it are too different things. Do I care if people think that about me? No. But I'm not ignorant of the fact that it's out there. As for your second point about being plainly contradictory, there's nothing contradictory in saying that I don't like to blend in, but don't like to stand out either. There's a middle ground between those two. If I bought a Honda Accord or Toyota Camry, I'd obviously blend in since there are so many of them. If I bought a Toyota Prius, I'd obviously stand out since those cars aren't common and send a message that you're probably concerned about being green. But there are plenty of cars that fall between these extremes. It's called buying a car that isn't that common, but doesn't have styling or a name that would really cause people to notice.

Quote:
out there in the real world, outside these forums, most people don't know jack: all they see is a color and a badge... and if they tax their brains any more than that, they'll make a (probably faulty) guess on how much you make or console themselves thinking you're insecure/overcompensating/etc.
Which is part of why I started this thread. The person who sees your car may get the wrong idea about you. You've made it clear that you don't care. But I would think you'd at least be aware of it, if for no other reason than to understand why they think that so that you're not left scratching your head wondering "why does this guy think I'm a show off or why does this girl think I'm overcompensating?"

Old 07-22-2010, 02:37 PM

4,472 posts, read 17,694,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NSX View Post
I drive both a black Z06 and orange Lotus, which I love driving and feel complement each other well. Have no idea what either one says about me...but always wondered
Probably that you like to live carefree and have fun!

I have to ask though...why do you have two performance cars?

Not criticizing at all, I love both of them but most folks usually have their primary vehicle such as an SUV or sedan and then have a sports car for weekend driving...I just find it odd that you'd have two sports car. Nonetheless, I like both.

Old 07-22-2010, 03:13 PM

747 posts, read 2,758,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc63 View Post
Again, are the "dress for success" proponents full of it? HAve you never cared what you looked like (i.e. what first imopression you were going to make) when going ot to meet someone, be it a potential date or a potential job?
I don't know why you insist on confusing two obviously different ideas. An interview, your workplace, etc. has a certain expectation to it. Sometimes a written dress code. Most important, there is a defined set of counterparties or an audience that people either try to impress or at least avoid a negative reaction/perception: your boss, clients, co-workers.

My car has no such counterparty or audience. I don't mind compliments from strangers, but I don't care too much to guess what they might be thinking. Most important, I bought the car for myself, for own needs, and for my own pleasure.

The only place these disparate ideas (cars and clothing) converge is that, when you're a conscientious buyer who cares somewhat about quality, a good choice has the secondary quality of sometimes impressing people. But the suit or the car that I chose above a hundred others has to fit my taste first...and yes then it will probably go down well with similar-minded people.

Old 07-22-2010, 03:36 PM
NSX

877 posts, read 2,167,645 times
Definitely enjoy them both. Got the Lotus and the Z because they are as different as two sports cars can get, but both very fun in their own ways The Corvette is extremely comfortable for a warm weather daily driver, gets 28 mpg on the highway and can fulfill 99% of my daily driving needs. Also have a red Ford Escape (can kind of be seen in the back) when I need to carry cargo or the weather is bad...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyAZ View Post
Probably that you like to live carefree and have fun!

I have to ask though...why do you have two performance cars?

Not criticizing at all, I love both of them but most folks usually have their primary vehicle such as an SUV or sedan and then have a sports car for weekend driving...I just find it odd that you'd have two sports car. Nonetheless, I like both.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive