Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2010, 01:17 PM

811 posts, read 1,738,436 times

Advertisements

Just got a hold of a new Hyundai Santa Fe. I skipped the navigation package but I do plan to install a portable one.

I'll be hardwiring it to the fuse box so to keep it looking clean and not have to plug it in all the time. I'll just run the cord along the windshield/dash seem.

Just want to get a take on what positions on the windshield you guys like to place your gps to get the most functionality while driving but also not blocking out your view.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2010, 02:32 PM

7,284 posts, read 16,679,746 times
Next to the rear view mirror is my favorite place. The unit is in the tinted band of the windshield, so it's out of sight from outside, and it doesn't obstruct the view of the road. I guess a lot depends on the car and the seating position. I rarely use one in my own cars, but frequently do in rentals.

Old 07-26-2010, 01:50 AM

890 posts, read 3,700,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 43north87west View Post
Next to the rear view mirror is my favorite place. The unit is in the tinted band of the windshield, so it's out of sight from outside, and it doesn't obstruct the view of the road. I guess a lot depends on the car and the seating position. I rarely use one in my own cars, but frequently do in rentals.
I've never understood why people do this. I tried it myself once and found it incredibly distracting, not to mention the power cord doesn't reach but to each his own.

I put mine on the lower center of the windshield. It's out of my line of sight and doesn't distract me but it's easy to view at a glance.

Old 07-26-2010, 04:27 AM

2,256 posts, read 6,955,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosecitywanderer View Post
I've never understood why people do this. I tried it myself once and found it incredibly distracting, not to mention the power cord doesn't reach but to each his own.

I put mine on the lower center of the windshield. It's out of my line of sight and doesn't distract me but it's easy to view at a glance.
Agreed. The center or near center on the lower part of the windshield.

Old 07-26-2010, 05:01 AM

273 posts, read 957,168 times
Also depends on also on screen size (mine is 3.5"), eyesight, cord length, sound/noise/hearing , operator's reach, and of course the vehicle itself. When driving alone, I often suction attach it just below the top left corner of the windshield.

I drape/snake the cord over the steering column and across/loop over some dash parts to get it stable. This provides a close position without obstructing normal line of sight. May be technically illegal in some states(?) , but then so would be some other positions on the windshield. Practically, it is not in my line of sight for normal driving.

Plusses are: I can see it with a glance; touch it without reaching or looking by resting my elbow on the window ledge; and hear driving instructions and my cell which is connected via bluetooth. Another benefit is that the BT/cell mic is closer to me here than in some other positions.

YMMV, but this works for me most of the time.

Last edited by Huskyz; 07-26-2010 at 05:14 AM..

Old 07-26-2010, 05:14 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,288,448 times
Leaving an unintegral unit in the car is going to invite criminals to smash your window and take it.

Old 07-26-2010, 05:15 AM

6,590 posts, read 11,282,338 times
I prefer it not on the windshield at all. I got an adapter for the air vent louvers and use it in the center of the dash (where a built-in one would typically sit).

But I have to agree with Huskyz, it will depend on the type of car and one's preference. On a SUV, it probably wouldn't matter where on windshield you put it since there so much real estate there... as opposed to a small compact or sports coupe where the windshield is much smaller.

Old 07-26-2010, 06:15 AM

7,005 posts, read 21,332,413 times
Inside the glove box. I just follow directions by ear.

Old 07-26-2010, 09:31 AM

568 posts, read 2,419,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 43north87west View Post
That's where I like mine too. It's out of my primary field of view, but close enough that I can glance at the screen without really taking my eyes off the road.

The other spot I like is to the left side of the windshield next to the a-pillar, low and close to the dash. My problem with that is that I'm right-handed and I feel like a retard trying to input directions with my left hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosecitywanderer View Post
I've never had a problem getting the power cord to reach.

Old 07-26-2010, 11:37 AM

273 posts, read 957,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1badgmc View Post
The other spot I like is to the left side of the windshield next to the a-pillar, low and close to the dash. My problem with that is that I'm right-handed and I feel like a retard trying to input directions with my left hand. .
For me, with the GPS mounted higher on the left side, resting my elbow on the door shelf/top (by the drivers side window), helps ease/stabilize using left hand for screen navigational touches, and the unit is close to my eyes and ears too . FWIW...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive