U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2010, 07:26 PM

19,023 posts, read 24,218,757 times

Advertisements

GTO. You know as well as I that is final drive gearing and has nothing to do with the tranny.

Any tranny that ends with 1:1 will be different than another depending on what the final drive is, but that won't change the tranny being 1:1.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2010, 07:31 PM

3,190 posts, read 4,634,461 times
I once paid $40.00 for a Chevy Nova II with a 4 cylinder and "3 on the tree".

I stuffed a 327ci - 4 BBL in it, but kept the three speed (I was poor). That thing would boil the rubber off the tires!

Old 07-27-2010, 07:39 PM

12,120 posts, read 31,148,585 times
Default Fleet

I remember that road test of the mid sized 75 Fury. Wasn't very impressive. We got the Century because it was top rated in that same report

Old 07-27-2010, 11:58 PM

6,664 posts, read 28,674,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoobleKar View Post
I once paid $40.00 for a Chevy Nova II with a 4 cylinder and "3 on the tree".

I stuffed a 327ci - 4 BBL in it, but kept the three speed (I was poor). That thing would boil the rubber off the tires!
I bought one for $200 with a rebuilt motor in it, I planned on using the motor in a International Scout. A friend found me a rebuilt long block for the International the same night. I drove that Chevy II a few weeks before the Scout was road worthy.

Old 07-28-2010, 06:04 AM

5,229 posts, read 13,446,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoobleKar View Post
Actually the V-6 engine's been around for quite a while! Willys Jeeps had the V-6 in the 50s. My Mom had a 1960 Buick Skylark convertible with the Buick V-6.

That Buick V-6 was used in many foreign cars too..especially in Britain where Rover made use of it and eventually bought the rights to it completely.
While the Buick V6 was around quite a while, the Buick engine that Rover bought was the 215cid (3.5 liter) all aluminum V8 originally used in the '62 Buick Special and Olds F85. British Leyland used it in everything, and it was the UK hot rodder's engine of choice. used it in everything. It was also the basis of the V8 used in Land Rovers and Range Rovers up to my own '01 4.6 HSE (being replaced in '03 with the BMW sourced 4.4 liter DOHC V8, whcih almost immediately got replaced with the Jaguar AJ8 V8)

3 on the tree was fairly common in the '50s and '60s. My '62 Falcon had it:

Old 07-28-2010, 08:43 AM

3,698 posts, read 10,763,097 times
The old straight 6 and the slant 6 were absolutely bulletproof engines. If you kept them in oil they ran forever.

Old 07-28-2010, 06:15 PM

12,120 posts, read 31,148,585 times
Default how many

guys here would feel "weird" driving a top line standard(Caprice, LTD, Gran Sedan) from the big 3 with a 3 speed column shift,and to top it off with nice upholstery and other nice trim, vinyl roof

i gotta get this out of my system, it's like nails on a chalkboard. woujd passengers comment like "hey why a 3 speed tranny when the car is so big?!"

Old 07-28-2010, 06:26 PM

11,029 posts, read 25,872,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlrl View Post
guys here would feel "weird" driving a top line standard(Caprice, LTD, Gran Sedan) from the big 3 with a 3 speed column shift,and to top it off with nice upholstery and other nice trim, vinyl roof

i gotta get this out of my system, it's like nails on a chalkboard. woujd passengers comment like "hey why a 3 speed tranny when the car is so big?!"
no I had a lifted full-sized 83 ford bronco XLT with a 351 windsor and holley 4-bbl mated to a C4 3-speed automatic. no one said much but it was one tough truck and I was in community college when I owned it so I beat the doo-doo out of it.

it was top of the line for a 1983 bronco with fake wood interior trim A/C and power windows and power door locks and the classic removeable rear roof section for summer .

people said more about my loud burned out set of true dual cherry bomb mufflers than my 3-speed auto tranny

Old 07-28-2010, 06:42 PM

10,838 posts, read 19,802,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOlover View Post
no I had a lifted full-sized 83 ford bronco XLT with a 351 windsor and holley 4-bbl mated to a C4 3-speed automatic. no one said much but it was one tough truck and I was in community college when I owned it so I beat the doo-doo out of it.

it was top of the line for a 1983 bronco with fake wood interior trim A/C and power windows and power door locks and the classic removeable rear roof section for summer .

people said more about my loud burned out set of true dual cherry bomb mufflers than my 3-speed auto tranny
I believe he was refering to a 3 on the tree, not a 3 speed auto.

Old 07-28-2010, 11:06 PM

7,305 posts, read 25,832,444 times
Yeah it is weird to see a 71 Caprice or 71 Sport Fury 4dr with a 3-speed manul and it is very rare... not sure though why one would order a luxury 4dr like that.

Neat info on that 71 Fury Gran sedan (according to the book though, the top level Fury in 71 was the Sport Fury (even the 4dr), but there was a Caprice about like that.... about 8 years ago someone had a '71 Caprice 4dr on ebay... it was LOADED, power windows, power locks, A/C, power seat, etc... the odd thing? It was a 3-speed manual on the column!! It had the 400 V8. Not sure about Mopars and Fords, but on GM cars, the big cars (Biscayne, Impala, Caprice, Catalina, Bonneville, Grand Ville, Delta 88, Delta 88 Royale, LeSabre and Centurion had a standard 3-speed manual for the "early" 1971 models, but it was very, very rarely seen. Most all had the automatics. By mid 71, automatic became standard on all of them.. I do believe. In 71 (probably even as early as the mid 50s) ALL of the Cadillacs and the Buick Electras and Oldsmobile Ninety-Eights were automatics.

Some more rarities, someone had a 71 Buick Estate wagon with a 3-speed manual on the column and someone had a 71 Bonneville convertible with a 3-speed manual shift on the column - then there was a 71' Delta 88 4dr with a 3-speed on the tree. I had some stats somewhere for the 71 Pontiacs... there were like 36 Catalinas in 71 with a 3-speed manual, 6 Bonnevilles and 3 wagons and 2 Grand Villes!! I am sure the most that had the manuals were the base Biscayne Chevy and Bel-Air, but most of those were police cars or taxis, so I am sure even most of those were automatics.

That particular 71 Fury Gran could have either been a 6-cylinder, or an 8, not sure how Mopar did it, but some of the upper models only had V8s, even if they were manual shift. I will see if I can look it up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlrl View Post
available on full sized cars in the late 60's/early 70's? This is something I have not thought of

when i saw a 1971 Plymouth Fury Gran Sedan with a 3 speed manual tranny column shifter parked in a bus station in 1980, i though to myself "WEIRD".

did that car have a V8 engine or a 225 6? I don't know how a Gran Sedan was available with a manual tranny back then (unless someone went outside of the manufacturers offerings and put a 3 speed manual in the car)

i think the only other full sized car i remember was my first grade teacher's 1968 Chevy Biscayne that had a 3 speed manual on the column, and i often wondered if it was a V8 or a 6

could you imagine an LTD or Caprice with a 3 speed manual?

Last edited by Tennesseestorm; 07-28-2010 at 11:29 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive