Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2010, 01:07 PM

211 posts, read 283,624 times

Advertisements

Hello people!

I am new to the east bay area (from Australia) and have got my more immediate things sorted – SSN, banks, accommodation, credit cards etc. I am now dealing with DMV for my license conversion which is not going great. The whole thing is so inefficient but I will stop at that.

I need some help with Cars. I am looking to buy a car with no fixed make/model in my mind although I am absolutely hung up on Acura TL. I will be commuting from Walnut Creek to Dublin/Danville every day for work.

I originally started with a 10-12k pre tax budget however the cars that I drove were something I would want to buy. I mean nothing wrong with the cars but I like driving a decent car and the 10-12k budget did not cut it for me. Add to that the obsession on buying a TL or TSX.

I completely understand that for a few grand more I could buy a new Civic or Corolla or whatever but as I said, I am in for the experience of driving vs. owning the most economical cars.

I drove a sports mazda 3 when I was in Australia. I plan to visit few more dealers this weekend. Any help from you would be appreciated. Yes I am in touch with kbb.com, vehix.com and craiglist.org.

How would you guys rate TL or TSX. What are the things to watch out for when I buy a second hand car (craiglist or dealers). How much are the prices negotiable? Any other advice? Lots of questions sorry.[/SIZE]

Thanks!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2010, 01:52 PM

6,664 posts, read 30,668,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastbound1 View Post
,,,,,What are the things to watch out for when I buy a second hand car (craiglist or dealers). How much are the prices negotiable? Any other advice? ,,,,.
If you are going to make payments prearrange the loan with your bank or credit union. Do not purchase GAP insurance from dealers, cheaper from your own auto insurance.
Prices are always negotiable, dealers will have additional costs. If you are purchasing new try costco, AAA club or sams club, they have auto purchasing plans. I had my price lowered $5000 below invoice with costco.

Old 07-28-2010, 02:15 PM

Thanks for your note. I am going for a used car. I am just having trouble deciding if it's Acura TL/TSX or for a little more money I can get Civic new. I love the Acura so that's where I am leaning.

I will pre arrange loan with the credit union but being very new to the country means it will be difficult to get any decent rates I guess?!?

Old 07-28-2010, 02:20 PM

11,157 posts, read 29,394,424 times
Quote:
Thanks for your note. I am going for a used car. I am just having trouble deciding if it's Acura TL/TSX or for a little more money I can get Civic new. I love the Acura so that's where I am leaning.

I will pre arrange loan with the credit union but being very new to the country means it will be difficult to get any decent rates I guess?!?
the acura is based off the honda accord platform and has all the the same underpinnings and motors. getting a new honda civic might be the better route to go because of factory warranty or even get a V6 honda accord EX fully loaded/optioned out and you pretty much have a acura TL for thousands less.

Old 07-28-2010, 02:26 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,254,285 times
The TL and the TSX are not based on the Accord sold in the US. They are based on platforms used in Europe.

They are both very capable mid-luxury sedans. Well made, reliable, reasonably quick, and comfortable. The prior generation TL in particular is a very nice car. The torque steer is relatively mild for a FWD car with that amount of power. You can stil find these cars with manual transmissions, which is a plus for me.

I think most Acuras require (run best with) premium fuel compared to Hondas that spec regular.

Old 07-28-2010, 02:26 PM

I am not going for a new car for now and hence my predicament in terms of used TL or spend few thousand more and new Civic.
I want a car that can sit 5 people as my parents will visit us time to time and don't drive.
TL fits the bill in terms of machine, reputation, moon roof, leather seats, and it's Honda of course.

Old 07-28-2010, 02:28 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,254,285 times
Quote:
I am not going for a new car for now and hence my predicament in terms of used TL or spend few thousand more and new Civic.
I want a car that can sit 5 people as my parents will visit us time to time and don't drive.
TL fits the bill in terms of machine, reputation, moon roof, leather seats, and it's Honda of course.
A Civic will not seat 5 adults comfortably unless the rear seat passengers are thin. It is comfortable for four.

Old 07-28-2010, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
The TL and the TSX are not based on the Accord sold in the US. They are based on platforms used in Europe.

They are both very capable mid-luxury sedans. Well made, reliable, reasonably quick, and comfortable. The prior generation TL in particular is a very nice car. The torque steer is relatively mild for a FWD car with that amount of power. You can stil find these cars with manual transmissions, which is a plus for me.

I think most Acuras require (run best with) premium fuel compared to Hondas that spec regular.
My extended family owns both TL and Civic and both are excellent cars. I am looking for 2006 (ish) TL model. I have driven both the cars and prefer the TL given the power and comfort to be honest.
Also, is it true cars are generally cheaper in LA vs. Bay Area? Are there any benefits from buying in LA as opposed to here?

Old 07-28-2010, 03:52 PM

1,955 posts, read 11,000,124 times
Quote:
Also, is it true cars are generally cheaper in LA vs. Bay Area? Are there any benefits from buying in LA as opposed to here?
It depends. Generally speaking, things are more spread out in SoCal - 15k miles/year is typical, with more of it being highway miles. It's much more concentrated in the Bay Area, so cars tend to have fewer miles, but a greater proportion being "city" miles. Proximity to the ocean and the fog could have an accelerated effect on corrosion.

Old 08-01-2010, 01:31 AM

77 posts, read 174,889 times
a few things to know as a california driver...
kbb.com kelly blue book online, tells what cars are really worth
carfax.com tells you all about the cars history,definatly worth spending under $40
aaa.com this is a great insurance company, they may be a bit expensive, but the AAA can do no others really can is to act as the DMV in the office, meaning anything you have to goto DMV for, AAA can do without those LONG lines at DMV..that alone is really great,ill tell ya..!!
carefull on cragslist, ALWAYS spent that $100 or whatver to have a mechanic look at the car BEFORE you buy it, Never Buy the first pretty shiney car you see, no matter how tempting..
and last, theres an old saying ' never buy a car from a friend, if you like the friend..' friends/family ( other than sombody else paying for it) is always bad just because it always is...
good luck, im in that boat myself..i love my 97 crysler sebring convertable, but it doesnt always want to run and its getting real expensive to fix..but i LOVE this car!! my dad just bought me a 95 lincoln towncar,hoping ill like it better and forget my sebring, haha, no such luck, sorry dad...when my sebring runs, its bitchen car to drive!!
see? gorgeous car..sebring says 'single female' ( and i am) lincoln kinda says 'old man'..if i tint the windows, lincoln could say 'mafia staff car'..( thats a joke, nobody trip..lol)
Attached Thumbnails
Car help!-image001.jpg   Car help!-lincoln2.jpg   Car help!-lincoln.jpg   Car help!-sebring.jpg  
Attached Images

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive