Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2010, 03:41 PM

1,106 posts, read 3,533,307 times

Advertisements

2004 Dodge Ram?
Why? Because I started a bounce house business and needed a big truck. Looked for a late model truck in good shape with decent miles, V8 engine, and crew cab or extended cab for my daughter. Tried to get a 2001 GMC Sierra Denali (I love the top lights and the quadrasteer) but couldn't find a good deal on one. So I started looking at other trucks with no brand loyalty. Got the best deal on the Dodge and it was by far the best condition. I have dinged it a few times but thats what it is there for.

I got rid of my 330 Convertible BMW which I don't really miss too much. It was small enough though that I kept the inside and outside clean. Now my truck stays dirty b/c, well its a truck.

My next car would be a newer BMW M5, 540, or 530. I like the German sedans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2010, 03:47 PM

970 posts, read 2,968,093 times
I drive a 2010 Jeep Commander Overland. Great for the tough Michigan winters, and it's loaded with all kinds of gadgets. I also have a red 1958 Thunderbird, for a little occasional weekend driving on the hot summer days.

Old 07-30-2010, 05:38 PM

14,100 posts, read 28,524,892 times
silver 2003 Chevrolet Malibu. I liked the conservative body style, torque of the engine, interior space, trunk volume, four wheel independent suspension, and fuel economy for a V6 at the time. Because GM finally decided to add an anti-sway bar back in 2000, the car corners well for a family sedan with no where near as much body roll as the early models (97-99). I had a 98 model before a bad wreck so I personally felt the difference. I like the engine, but didn't like the cost of replacing the intake gasket due to GM's Dexcool coolant eating away at the gasket. Still have problems with the quirky AC controls. Sometimes have to tap or wiggle knobs to get the compressor back on. Why do I still have the car even after enduring leaking intake gaskets, passlock theft deterrant system replacement, warping brake rotors, and fussy AC controls? It's paid out in full and it's still in good condition. No rust, no tears, no sagging headliner, and I still average between 22 to 23 mpg city with a V6. Currently saving up to pay for all new struts (currently at 76,000 miles and drive on horrible roads). Another reason for keeping the car is the cost of replacing tires on newer vehicles. Even some economy cars have larger and more expensive tires than my midsize sedan. The average tire price for my car is now about $100, plus or minus depending on brand.

My wife drives a 2007 Chrysler Sebring Touring edition. She had a 1996 Mazda Protege' which was totalled when a Jeep ran a stop sign. She needed a pillow to drive the Protege' because she couldn't see over the dashboard. She tested many vehicles and decided on the Sebring because of the driver's seat. She could raise the seat to allow her to see over the dashboard without needing a pillow and without her chest pressed into the steering wheel from moving the seat forward to reach the pedals. Another reason she liked the seat is the adjustable lumbar support goes directly into the deep curve of her spine in her lowerback (S curve scoliosis) and helps to alievate pain and pressure from that part of her spine. Though the engine is buzzy on hard acceleration, it has enough acceleration for her needs. Quick acceleration hurts her spine. The front passenger seat is high and the door opens wide which makes it easier for her 84 year old father to get in and out when she brings him to his doctor appointments. She does a lot of in city driving and now averages 24 mpg with the 2.4L engine. Not bad for a car this size.

Old 07-30-2010, 07:10 PM

4,237 posts, read 24,777,350 times
What do I drive and why?

We have 3 vehicles in the household, and a 4th that's at my folk's....

1991 S-10 4X4. Because it's a decent truck, basic simple transportation, great for off roading or snow busting. Also great for when I need a utilitarian type vehicle.

1987 Regal T. Because it's stupid fast and can blow the doors off just about any Camaro/Mustang/Trans AM/Corvette/Viper/Challenger/Charger on the road, all while doing it on only 6 cylinders (with a little help from a turbo of course ) If you don't know what one of these are, it's the same as a Grand National except it's not black. Oh yeah...it also doubles as a luxury cruiser with a/c, cruise, power seat and power windows and gets fairly decent gas mileage...except when I'm dusting off some unsuspecting prey.

2007 CRV. Because the wife liked it on first sight/test drive. It's used to haul our daughter around, go on grocery runs, family vacations, etc.

1969 Nova. Because it was a graduation present from the parents upon military boot camp. But it's also a fully restored car that may not ride as smooth as newer cars or get the same gas mileage, but regardless how much you might hate american cars, it's still a joy to drive. It's also a chick magnet.

However one day when I have some money to work with, I'm going to redo the stock suspension, stock brakes, etc so this 41 year old classic will ride like a newer sports car, then I will probably drop in a World hybrid LSX block built up to a 427 and add twin turbos, along with a 6 speed and vintage air.

Motown LS Crate Engine - 427ci Small-Block/LS Head Hybrid - Super Chevy Magazine

Old 07-30-2010, 07:14 PM

226 posts, read 559,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gman6974 View Post

'98 K1500 Silverado Z71 which is driven a little on the weekends now. Why do I drive it? Because it looks damn good thats why. GM trucks have always had better styling IMO. Would like to build the 5.7 in it one day and make it into a toy.

'06 GMC Canyon 2wd/reg cab/shortbed/5-speed. Daily driver right now. Why do I drive it? Decent gas mileage, decent power, it was very cheap with low miles and all I've done is tinted the windows. Just tinting the windows makes this small truck look good and sporty. Don't have a pic of it right now.
Nice K1500 gman.

Old 07-30-2010, 07:17 PM

20,048 posts, read 18,303,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 05chevy View Post
I drive a Chevrolet Silverado 2500 Crew 4x4 Diesel. I haven't always driven large vehicles and even had a Miata for a couple of months. Yikes! With vehicles getting larger and heavier by the year, the truck puts me at ease. kinda gives me a warm....fuzzy feeling.

Oh, by the way, I do actually use it for what it was intended for -- and that's pulling!

I'm driving the best Honda on the market today.

Why? Because I hated driving that shoddy heap of crap that was the PTC!!!!

Bought the Honda at the end of '08 and have never been happier!

Well, except maybe when I bought the CRX in '90.

Or, also maybe when I bought first Honda (Prelude) in '88.

Old 07-30-2010, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by picklejuice View Post
i'm driving the best honda on the market today.

Why? Because i hated driving that shoddy heap of crap that was the ptc!!!!

Bought the honda at the end of '08 and have never been happier!

Well, except maybe when i bought the crx in '90.

Or, also maybe when i bought first honda (prelude) in '88. :d
ptc?

Old 07-30-2010, 08:28 PM

20,048 posts, read 18,303,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 05chevy View Post
ptc?
PT Cruiser (loser).

Old 07-30-2010, 08:36 PM

Quote:
PT Cruiser (loser).
Gotcha!

Old 07-30-2010, 08:46 PM

5,228 posts, read 15,288,738 times
Quote:
PT Cruiser (loser).

I had an '02 PT Cruiser Touring edition with the 5 speed manual, that I bought new in '02 and drove for 5 years and 70k miles. From Baltimore up to Maine and back, and down to Orlando and back, and monthly trips to Hartford, CT and back, as well as camping, hauling building supplies (the wood for my deck in one trip, all the replacement windows for my house in one trip, 1500 lbs of baged crused rock in one trip, etc), and even had it on track to autocross for a season with both my wife and I driving. Absolutely zero problems the entire time, only needing oil changes and brakes in that time. No rattles, squeaks, or defects. Out of the hundred plus cars I've had in the last 30 years, it was probably the best at being a car I've had. Very versatile, comfortable, and even handled track duty better than it had to.

Almost everone I've met directly that has had a PT has had similar experiences.

(that was my wife on track having a blast and getting a season trophy in class)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive