U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-30-2010, 01:31 PM

3,306 posts, read 11,005,813 times

Advertisements

I would like to start running synthetic fluid in my truck's power steering. I have a few bottles of synthetic ATF left over from a transfer case fluid change and was going to swap it out for the conventional stuff I have in the PS system right now.

Its just a typical Saginaw rotary vane pump and I have heard that running ATF is fine but nothing has been confirmed. My current understanding of these two hydraulic fluids is that the main differences between ATF and PS fluid is the addition of red dye in ATF for leak diagnosis. If I could actually find synthetic "power steering fluid" I would just buy it but oddly enough I have not come across it in any stores and I don't feel like ordering some online if I can just use synthetic ATF.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2010, 01:36 PM

15,888 posts, read 51,508,512 times
The difference between ATF and purpose-made PS fluid is small, if anything. IMHO the best you can get is Redline PS fluid, but very likely the ATF you have in hand is better than what's in the system right now.

Back in the 60's and 70's, power steering systems called for ATF, I forget when exactly PS fluid as such went on the market.

Of course I am not giving you a definite answer since I don't really have one, I don't know what ATF you have, or what truck you have, and I probably don't have any first-hand experience with either one.

Old 07-30-2010, 02:06 PM

3,306 posts, read 11,005,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
The difference between ATF and purpose-made PS fluid is small, if anything. IMHO the best you can get is Redline PS fluid, but very likely the ATF you have in hand is better than what's in the system right now.

Back in the 60's and 70's, power steering systems called for ATF, I forget when exactly PS fluid as such went on the market.

Of course I am not giving you a definite answer since I don't really have one, I don't know what ATF you have, or what truck you have, and I probably don't have any first-hand experience with either one.
I have Mobil 1 ATF on hand and the truck is a 2nd gen. Cummins Ram. I have 4" taller than stock tires, a 400lb winch bumper and that very heavy Cummins motor, it all makes steering a little tight if you can imagine. It is still manageable but definitely not one-finger steering you would find in a Cadillac.

So far I have modified the pump for more flow (quicker steering) but have not yet changed pressure since there is no way for me to really increase it incrementally or safely. The synthetic fluid route is probably my best bet at this point to ease up effort, next step would be to install a hydraulic ram assist... but thats money that is better spent elsewhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive