Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2010, 01:19 PM

4,923 posts, read 11,185,872 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Also, I think the extreme biker craze attracted over a lot of the previous fast n furious crowd....the guys posting their helmet cam videos up on you-tube and I've even seen them pulling 70mph wheelies down the interestate recently. Granted, this fad will go away as the body count goes up.
You might be right about the bikes...I hadn't thought about them. I guess because when I was a teenager a lot of the guys that were into one was into the other (usually off-road bikes, motocross or enduro), but not always. I know there was a time when I couldn't afford both, but maybe one. Also, the bikes then were either big street hogs or choppers, or dirt bikes...didn't have the crotch-rockets like today.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2010, 02:40 PM

11,155 posts, read 29,304,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc63 View Post
Again, that's not even slightly new. Most of the tens of thousands of "hopped up" economy cars and low trim muscle cars of the '60s and '70s were trashed by their young owners.

The point is not that the car should be left as an economy car, but that it's too bad so many young enthusiasts don't know what they are doing.
yeah same could be said for the 80's-90's 5.0 fox body mustangs and Iroc-z camaro's back in high school in the mid-late 90's they were the car to have and to some extent LT1 4th gen camaros but they were just out of reach for a high schooler with a part time job.

my generation just beat on them till most were either wrecked or thrashed beyond repair and just never well taken care of.

they are still a few nice ones out there but tell me when was the last time you saw mint 1985-1990 Iroc in good condition. most of the remaning fox body stangs have been turned into full on drag cars. there still a few on the street but not as many as I used to see.

Old 08-04-2010, 04:18 PM

9,726 posts, read 16,735,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc63 View Post
Again, that's not even slightly new. Most of the tens of thousands of "hopped up" economy cars and low trim muscle cars of the '60s and '70s were trashed by their young owners.

The point is not that the car should be left as an economy car, but that it's too bad so many young enthusiasts don't know what they are doing.
Yeah, it's definitely nothing new. Years ago when my brother was looking for old American iron to fix up we found TONS of trashed muscle cars and old pickups. It was depressing. I guess I'm the kind of guy who just appreciates older cars, even bottom end economy cars, that are stock and have been well taken care of and properly maintained. My own car (89 Civic wagon) was obviously neglected by a previous owner somewhere down the line, and I've been trying to bring it back to good condition as best I can, but it has some unfortunate rust on the rear fenders which I just can't afford to fix correctly. But if I keep it long enough and have the money I'll have the body fully repaired. I'd love to have this car 100% stock and in pristine condition, even though it's a car most people wouldn't give a second look to!

Old 08-04-2010, 06:47 PM

5,994 posts, read 20,072,505 times
A lot of the 1980's+ muscle car and truck/suv drivers tend to drive like morons on a consistent basis regardless of whose around them. I don't think they care.

Old 08-04-2010, 07:09 PM

78,345 posts, read 60,539,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinem View Post
You might be right about the bikes...I hadn't thought about them. I guess because when I was a teenager a lot of the guys that were into one was into the other (usually off-road bikes, motocross or enduro), but not always. I know there was a time when I couldn't afford both, but maybe one. Also, the bikes then were either big street hogs or choppers, or dirt bikes...didn't have the crotch-rockets like today.
For every 45 registered super sport motorcycles....there is a death each year.
That's worse than the average death rate for guys over in Iraq. (Granted some jobs over there are a lot more dangerous than others.) Pretty scary numbers.

Old 08-04-2010, 07:26 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,957,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lux Hauler View Post
How many lanes in each direction? That sort of situation is one of the few things in life that infuriate me... I can't stand inconsiderate selfish drivers. Especially on the highway when you are trying to make good time by maintaining a decent, constant speed. They are parasites to the road system!

When I am out for a slow leisurely drive I am sure to pull off and let traffic pass. People should get a clue when they look in their mirror and see a line of traffic behind them.

One lane in each direction on curvey roads in the east coast mountains. BUT these roads are posted 45 and 55 mph. Passing is done on a dotted center line, there is no break down lanes, and on coming traffic prevented me from safely passing the semi and the cage.

Old 08-05-2010, 07:28 AM

232 posts, read 632,553 times
Usually corvette drivers. Can't pass them without them thinking it has something to do with them. Some even drive in the left lane at all times, not passing....unless you're trying to pass them, then all of sudden they'll drive faster. Drivers of any car may do that from time to time, but it is almost a guarantee when it's a vette driver.

On highways, I sometimes drive 80mph and if I have to switch lanes to pass someone going slower, then I increase speed to maybe 85mph to pass quickly. Vette drivers almost always take it as if it were a challenge. Rarely does any other car driver. Next thing I know the vette driver will be doing 100mph....while I am still doing my planned speeds. Guess he showed me. Then the vette usually slows down at some point when hopefully he realizes that what I am doing does not revolve around him.

Old 08-05-2010, 08:07 AM

4,923 posts, read 11,185,872 times
I don't see that with 'vette drivers around here. Most of them are older and seem to have most of that out of their system.

Old 08-05-2010, 08:33 AM

14,993 posts, read 23,880,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinem View Post
I don't see that with 'vette drivers around here. Most of them are older and seem to have most of that out of their system.
Vette's are cop magnets. An owner usually learns quickly to drive them slowly and sanely, and yeah most of the owners are older.

Old 08-05-2010, 08:53 AM

3,041 posts, read 4,999,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
Vette's are cop magnets. An owner usually learns quickly to drive them slowly and sanely, and yeah most of the owners are older.
I forgot this is one of the reasons I love minivans. You could be drifting a minivan on the highway doing double the limit and all the police would see is the vette behind you doing 5 over.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive