Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2010, 08:20 AM

4,923 posts, read 11,185,071 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by asubram3 View Post
As someone originally from India, I have to say that one thing important about driving in the US is to keep to your lanes. Do not randomly switch between lanes or drive in 2 lanes at the same time. Obey the traffic rules and you will be fine .
Now, if only people originally from the US will do the same, things would be great...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2010, 01:40 PM

7,305 posts, read 28,214,050 times
Dont sound your horn for no good reason - unless its like to get someones attention in emergency... you could be shot by someone (in some areas - or someone that has roadrage), or maybe just "get the finger" or cursed if you are lucky.

It will take time getting used to driving on the "right" hand side of the road, but you will get used to it. It would be as strange for me trying to drive on the left side.

I have never driven in India, so I dont know if its harder or easier.

Good luck.

Old 08-04-2010, 02:10 PM

6,987 posts, read 21,920,292 times
Wonder why no one has mentioned the state drivers handbook which would explain all the "do's" and "not to do's".

Not sure of the eastern states but Calif has a good current issue available for all drivers.

Old 08-04-2010, 11:33 PM

370 posts, read 1,068,229 times
Default Driving here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Activa View Post
Hello everybody!
I am going to relocate to West Orange, NJ from India soon. I have to drive there as the public transport is not that good. In India I have "minimal" driving experience in small cars like Maruti 800 or Maruti Alto. I am not very much comfortable in driving in chaotic road scenes; say Old Delhi or Barabazar, Kolkata.

I need your suggestion on the following points.

1. We drive on the left side of the road here - how difficult it is to adjust to drive on the opposite site?

2. Is overall driving difficult or easy in USA compared to India?

3. Are horns not at all used while driving there?

Thanks
How much experience have you had driving. The right side left side switch can be confusing. If you can take a 1 hour drivers course it will help. I have been here for 25 years I still have a hard time looking over my right shoulder to reverse. The 1 hour course will make it easier to adjust to the lane configuration. The rules of the road are similar across the US with a few changes. Buy a map and familarize the route you will be on. Most important do not panic if you miss your turn, the map will help you get back to where you wanted to go. I agree with Steve you can download a drivers hand book from :http://www.state.nj.us/mvc/

Good Luck and happy driving.

Old 08-05-2010, 07:37 AM

232 posts, read 632,499 times
I haven't driven in India, but have been to many Asian countries and just about every Central American country. Compared to that, driving in the USA is very simple and easy to do. All those other places are like chaos in the streets. Traffic signs are rare, lanes are not really divided and people are all over the road doing whatever. I think the USA is probably the easiest place in the world to drive, even in our most congested cities. However, we have laws for driving and you are expected to follow them...mostly. So take a course on it when you get here.

Old 08-05-2010, 07:53 AM

660 posts, read 1,652,566 times
Activa,

All the driving advice here has been great.

I would caution you and your family though that just walking in a busy city can be hazardous to someone who has lived with driving on the left too.

I have caught myself not thinking and ready to step off of a curb and into the path of an oncoming bus because I'm not accustomed to looking to my left for traffic.

Old 08-05-2010, 07:59 AM

5,696 posts, read 19,136,991 times
The U.S. caters to the right handed. It might help to get in the frame of mind that if you write with your right hand, then know that most things start on the right. If your a leftie like my husband then well, it takes adjustment.

Old 08-05-2010, 09:40 AM

3,306 posts, read 12,215,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTurner View Post
Activa,

All the driving advice here has been great.

I would caution you and your family though that just walking in a busy city can be hazardous to someone who has lived with driving on the left too.

I have caught myself not thinking and ready to step off of a curb and into the path of an oncoming bus because I'm not accustomed to looking to my left for traffic.

You must not have many one way streets.

Old 08-05-2010, 10:38 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,274,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennesseestorm View Post

I have never driven in India, so I dont know if its harder or easier.

Good luck.
Its like this =

YouTube - ‪India Driving‬‎

Old 08-05-2010, 11:47 AM

660 posts, read 1,652,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lux Hauler View Post

You must not have many one way streets.
Maybe I missed something in translation, but I don't get your point?

Most big city streets I'm accustom to have been two-way streets. At least two-way is more predominant than one-way.

My point was that if I'm walking in London and want to cross the street, I automatically look right since that's the way the traffic would be approaching. It is just the opposite in New York City and not a "natural" thing for me to look left for approaching traffic.

Since the OP mentioned he has children, I thought it would be a benefit to him to point this out so he can warn his kids to be more aware.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive