Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2010, 12:24 PM

8,518 posts, read 15,659,171 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
Just to throw a wrench in it, since you didn't mention other cars, did you ever consider an Infiniti G37? They are a little pricier, but way more car than either of the two you are looking at.
The G37 is pricier and a lot of what comes standard on the TSX is an optional extra on the Infiniti.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2010, 12:47 PM

14,780 posts, read 43,759,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyCrane View Post
The G37 is pricier and a lot of what comes standard on the TSX is an optional extra on the Infiniti.
The G37 is pricier than the TSX, but costs about the same as the IS250 AWD.

IS250 AWD MSRP - $33,015
G37 Sedan MSRP - $33,250
Acura TSX MSRP - $29,310

and since I mentioned it earlier

Audu A4 Quattro MSRP - $31,450

The Acura is easily the value play with more features and content for the money, but when you are willing to step up into IS250 AWD territory, you are looking at a decently equipped A4 or getting into a G37, both of which offer comparable or better standard features than the Lexus for the same money and arguably better cars.

Old 08-05-2010, 12:48 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,175,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ak11 View Post
2010 Acura TSX 4 cylinder
vs.
2010 Lexus Is 250 AWD.

Which one is better in terms of reliability, safety and practicality?

Neither.

Cadillac, baby. There *IS* no other car.

20yrsinBranson

Old 08-05-2010, 01:37 PM

747 posts, read 2,763,106 times
Quote:
Audi A4 FWD CVT MSRP - $31,450
Small but important correction. The A4 with Quattro and AT starts at 33.5 (and if you want what I consider for 2010 basic stuff like xenons and bluetooth, you're going to have go to at least the Premium+ spec level which bumps you up to around 38k before any other options).

To the OP obviously you're going to test drive these cars yourself and see what you like. Personally, I feel that unless you have another, more capacious vehicle then a non-folding rear seat is a deal breaker. If you're indifferent about that and after test driving them, wait a bit and see which manufacturer starts to offer better incentives (trunk money) on 2010 models to make room for more '11s. The '10s are about to become a year old in just a month's time in model year terms, so make sure you get a good deal to compensate you for taking an already slightly depreciated car.

Old 08-05-2010, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G.Costanza View Post
Small but important correction. The A4 with Quattro and AT starts at 33.5 (and if you want what I consider for 2010 basic stuff like xenons and bluetooth, you're going to have go to at least the Premium+ spec level which bumps you up to around 38k before any other options).
Didn't realize the lower price was the CVT, I thought it was the manual trans with quattro at that price. For what it's worth the manual is $32k and change, but that is the base level car.

Good advice on waiting a bit and seeing what incentives come down the pike. The next couple of months are usually when the end of model year deals start hitting.

Old 08-05-2010, 02:07 PM

498 posts, read 1,458,021 times
IS. Unless you want an Accord.

Old 08-05-2010, 02:08 PM

87 posts, read 270,699 times
Quote:
I wouldn't be concerned over Toyota's issues when looking at an IS. They have been relatively bullet proof cars. Again, I think between these two it will really come down to personal preference. smokingGun did an excellent job of pointing out some of the short comings. I have very little seat time in an IS250, but most of what he said was spot on. The one thing I did notice is that the fake leather in the IS is FANTASTIC. One of the best I have ever seen.

Just to throw a wrench in it, since you didn't mention other cars, did you ever consider an Infiniti G37? They are a little pricier, but way more car than either of the two you are looking at. For that matter an Audi A4 isn't much of a stetch from that price point either and again a much better car than those two.

Fake leather? Are you refering to the seat back, or doors?

In this price point are there any cars with full leather interiors?

Just curious..

Old 08-05-2010, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaSyce View Post
Fake leather? Are you refering to the seat back, or doors?

In this price point are there any cars with full leather interiors?

Just curious..
In this case, I was referring to the seats. They are very well done. I'm not sure if the IS250 has real or "fake" leather on the seating surface itself, but virtually all cars use vinyl/fake leather for all surfaces except the actual seat front where you sit which can be actual leather depending on the car (most near-luxury and luxury cars use a mix, except oddly enough for MB that uses primarily fake leather in all but the highest lines and is even optional then). Usually, the sides, back and even bolsters are synthetic and the doors, shift boots, etc. as well. As the quality gets better and better for the synthetics it gets harder and harder to tell.

The one manufacturer that has always had a leather fetish is Audi. Audi offers "premium" leather on pretty much every car that is in fact, real leather on all surfaces. If you don't get the "premium" leather option, it is usually a mix of leather on the seating surface and synthetic everywhere else.

Personally, I wouldn't care either way as long as the seat looked nice and was comfy. In fact, the fake stuff is easier to take care of then actual leather.

Old 08-05-2010, 02:59 PM

6,116 posts, read 12,630,553 times
Quote:
Audi offers "premium" leather on pretty much every car that is in fact, real leather on all surfaces.
my audi has suede seats.

Old 08-05-2010, 03:20 PM

8,518 posts, read 15,659,171 times
Quote:
The Acura is easily the value play with more features and content for the money, but when you are willing to step up into IS250 AWD territory, you are looking at a decently equipped A4 or getting into a G37, both of which offer comparable or better standard features than the Lexus for the same money and arguably better cars.
Acura, like its parent company, is one of those brands doesn't excel at anything in particular. If you talk to actual owners, you'll probably find that most say the thing they like most is how much you get for your money. It really is meant for people who want a good value.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamborgotti View Post
IS. Unless you want an Accord.
Go drive an Accord and then you'll see a substantial difference. The Accord has lost almost all of its sporty character, which is why the TSX is a good alternative to people who miss that aspect of past Hondas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive