Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2010, 07:09 PM

5,007 posts, read 15,462,143 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
In this case, I was referring to the seats. They are very well done. I'm not sure if the IS250 has real or "fake" leather on the seating surface itself, but virtually all cars use vinyl/fake leather for all surfaces except the actual seat front where you sit which can be actual leather depending on the car (most near-luxury and luxury cars use a mix, except oddly enough for MB that uses primarily fake leather in all but the highest lines and is even optional then). Usually, the sides, back and even bolsters are synthetic and the doors, shift boots, etc. as well. As the quality gets better and better for the synthetics it gets harder and harder to tell.

The one manufacturer that has always had a leather fetish is Audi. Audi offers "premium" leather on pretty much every car that is in fact, real leather on all surfaces. If you don't get the "premium" leather option, it is usually a mix of leather on the seating surface and synthetic everywhere else.

Personally, I wouldn't care either way as long as the seat looked nice and was comfy. In fact, the fake stuff is easier to take care of then actual leather.

Lexus uses all-leather seats all the way around. It's real leather front and back.

Also, 1000X times "yes" to Audi over either Acura or Lexus.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2010, 07:47 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,826,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1200RT View Post
my audi has suede seats.
You have a S4, with "Alcantara" right? Then, you don't have suede. Alcantara is a synthetic material that very closely resembles suede without any of the drawbacks of real suede...but who can tell.

For what it's woth the seat fronts are actual leather.

Old 08-06-2010, 07:53 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,826,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by getmeoutofhere View Post
Lexus uses all-leather seats all the way around. It's real leather front and back.

Also, 1000X times "yes" to Audi over either Acura or Lexus.
Good info, I tried to find out one way or the other before I made the original post regarding Lexus leather and it was inconclusive. I have since found out a little more info.

Lexus sources their leather from a company called GST. The leather they use in most vehicles is real leather that is coated with polyurethane. That's what gives the Lexus leather the "fake" smooth look and feel, but it is genuine 100% leather, hence why it is so soft. If you pony up for the "Ultra-Lux" trim option then you get actual semi-anilin leather, which is a more natural leather product on the seat fronts and other areas, but they still use the polyurethane coated leather on other areas.

I learned something new.

Old 08-06-2010, 09:02 AM

6,116 posts, read 12,670,054 times
Quote:
You have a S4, with "Alcantara" right? Then, you don't have suede. Alcantara is a synthetic material that very closely resembles suede without any of the drawbacks of real suede...but who can tell.

For what it's woth the seat fronts are actual leather.
Yeah..i know. I was just making a joke.

Old 08-06-2010, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Good info, I tried to find out one way or the other before I made the original post regarding Lexus leather and it was inconclusive. I have since found out a little more info.

Lexus sources their leather from a company called GST. The leather they use in most vehicles is real leather that is coated with polyurethane. That's what gives the Lexus leather the "fake" smooth look and feel, but it is genuine 100% leather, hence why it is so soft. If you pony up for the "Ultra-Lux" trim option then you get actual semi-anilin leather, which is a more natural leather product on the seat fronts and other areas, but they still use the polyurethane coated leather on other areas.

I learned something new.

You could have just asked. We had to learn all that when I sold Lexus.

It's a common misconception, but if you see leather or wood in a Lexus, it's real, not fake.

Old 08-07-2010, 11:52 AM

78 posts, read 286,181 times
Here is my 2 cents:
I have both cars currently, 2008 tsx & 2009 lexus IS
I know some changes are there
My personal preference: Acura
Reason: HID lights
They are addictive. You will really find it amazing driving in the nights traveling outside the city.
I keep driving from PHX to Calif ( SD or LA )
Amazing even in mountains during the curves.

I love lexus audio over acura.

Last edited by novsaggi; 08-07-2010 at 11:52 AM.. Reason: grammer

Old 08-07-2010, 12:35 PM

You can get HID's on the IS250 easily.

Old 08-07-2010, 01:53 PM
f_m

2,289 posts, read 8,386,712 times
What kind of transmission are you interested in getting, since they don't have the same options?

Old 08-08-2010, 07:26 AM

8,518 posts, read 15,678,728 times
To the OP, have you considered Infiniti? They're supposed to coming out with a smaller G sedan this fall. I think it's called the G27 or something like that. It's meant compete with the TSX and IS so it might be worth looking at.

Old 08-14-2010, 07:34 AM

13 posts, read 187,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by f_m View Post
What kind of transmission are you interested in getting, since they don't have the same options?
I'm thinking IS 250 (2.5 Liter V6, 204 hp, AWD) or a Acura TSX Base model.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive