Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2010, 04:31 PM

2,685 posts, read 6,423,187 times

Advertisements

Buick Planning Flagship Luxury Sedan to Rival Lexus LS: The Return of the Park Avenue? | AutoGuide.com News

Sorry to sound like a skeptic, and thinking they may not get much people biting, especially with the BMW/Benz/Lexus/Audi crowd.

I don't doubt that Buick can make a comfy, luxury car for the typical American owner (read ex, Lincoln/Cadillac buyer that went onto getting a Lexus/Benz etc. Older American who grew up on American automobiles, but decided to try import luxury and didn't look back).

I think they can, but aiming at Lexus/Benz/BMW crowd is a bit coocoo, if you ask me. They're used to building boats/leviathans that the older generation liked. The Lincoln and Cadillac crowd will most likely embrace it, but what Lincoln and Cadillac built are not what the world would call on par with what Europe and Japan build.

I think if they focused more on getting back to competing with Lincolns, I'd say they're right on target, but Lexus/BMW/Benz even Audi, I think they're off target.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2010, 04:50 PM

211 posts, read 641,163 times
Expect them to come up short on this one too.

Every other manufacturer out there is coming up with superb, small cars, yet GM is looking to resurrect a discontinued, juggernaut Buick model. Currently popular in China, the new vehicle will be based on the now 12 year old, Australian (Holden) designed Zeta platform.

If GM were anymore innovative, they'd be reintroducing the Hybrid Citation.

Old 08-06-2010, 04:57 PM

11,155 posts, read 29,316,613 times
if they wanted to compete the need a light RWD/AWD platform and the new camaro RS V6 motor or direct injected version of the 2.0 turbo from the cobalt SS.

they would have to aim for a BMW 1-series and 3-series or Audi A4 type of car and give it a sporty fun to drive ride with lots of standard luxury features and make sure not to interfer the larger caddy sales.

Old 08-06-2010, 05:33 PM

1,302 posts, read 2,948,617 times
Isn't this what Cadillac is for???

Whenever I read an article like this, it tells me that GM isn't learning its lesson. They've cut their number of brands in half, and they still want to overlap their product. It makes sense to sell a flagship like this in China where drivers love Buicks, but in the U.S., Cadillac doesn't even have a car of that caliber yet. And if/when they do, they don't need competition from their own sister brand.

Old 08-06-2010, 05:40 PM

2,685 posts, read 6,423,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinsanity View Post
Isn't this what Cadillac is for???

Whenever I read an article like this, it tells me that GM isn't learning its lesson. They've cut their number of brands in half, and they still want to overlap their product. It makes sense to sell a flagship like this in China where drivers love Buicks, but in the U.S., Cadillac doesn't even have a car of that caliber yet. And if/when they do, they don't need competition from their own sister brand.
That's what I was also thinking. They should let Cadillac lead in the luxury division. Let them focus on Buick in China, since Buick is doing well over there. They surely didn't learn their lesson.

Old 08-06-2010, 05:53 PM

7,305 posts, read 28,225,957 times
There is also a Chevrolet version of this car, called the Caprice in Europe. Its supposed to come to the USA, but only as a patrol car.

Personally, I like the looks of it and think its time a really big American sedan comes back to the market like we had in the 50s-80s when GM was on top. They have a sporty sedan now (LaCrosse), now they need a more comfortable luxury car to offer the older set that loves these cars, but dont quite want a Cadillac (which has also turned a bit too "sporty" IMO). Even the latest DHS looks to be leaning more toward a sports car rather than luxury. If you think about it, GM really started going down when they started playing with their big luxury car offerings. Even in the 90s they offered true luxury sedans... this all faded in the 2000s, so did GMs sales. Even their "so called" luxury cars were more like sports cars, then most of them faded (Lucerne, etc). May not be all of the problem, but I think it played a big part in it.

Old 08-06-2010, 06:02 PM

11,155 posts, read 29,316,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennesseestorm View Post
There is also a Chevrolet version of this car, called the Caprice in Europe. Its supposed to come to the USA, but only as a patrol car.

Personally, I like the looks of it and think its time a really big American sedan comes back to the market like we had in the 50s-80s when GM was on top. They have a sporty sedan now (LaCrosse), now they need a more comfortable luxury car to offer the older set that loves these cars, but dont quite want a Cadillac (which has also turned a bit too "sporty" IMO). Even the latest DHS looks to be leaning more toward a sports car rather than luxury. If you think about it, GM really started going down when they started playing with their big luxury car offerings. Even in the 90s they offered true luxury sedans... this all faded in the 2000s, so did GMs sales. Even their "so called" luxury cars were more like sports cars, then most of them faded (Lucerne, etc). May not be all of the problem, but I think it played a big part in it.
I like the way Cadillac is going they turned away from huge land yachts marketed to the elderly to try to focus on getting people in their 30's and 40's into their market segement and the CTS did a great job in doing that.

people in their 30's and 40's don't want to drive what their grandparents are driving. that's why the escalade and CTS are such big hit's for the brand and it brings a newer younger buying group to the brand.

but I do think they should sell a civillian version of the caprice to the public maybe make a limited edition SS model with the LS3 corvette motor under the hood and a base model with the Direct Injected 3.6-liter V6 out of the camaro RS

Old 08-06-2010, 06:52 PM

7,305 posts, read 28,225,957 times
I completely agree with you... they needed more cars for the younger set... I just think they should have also left the option for the larger "Land yacht" for those that liked it... but even the DTS seemed to be straying away from that becoming more of a sports sedan. Even the wheels on these cars look like sports coupe wheels and not luxury sedan wheels. Now that Lincoln is calling the end to the Town Car this year (and the Grand Marquis), which was the last true luxury car, its the end of an era. There are still "old people" out there that need and want a big luxury car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOlover View Post
I like the way Cadillac is going they turned away from huge land yachts marketed to the elderly to try to focus on getting people in their 30's and 40's into their market segement and the CTS did a great job in doing that.

people in their 30's and 40's don't want to drive what their grandparents are driving. that's why the escalade and CTS are such big hit's for the brand and it brings a newer younger buying group to the brand.

but I do think they should sell a civillian version of the caprice to the public maybe make a limited edition SS model with the LS3 corvette motor under the hood and a base model with the Direct Injected 3.6-liter V6 out of the camaro RS

Old 08-06-2010, 07:46 PM

2,715 posts, read 11,907,825 times
The Lexus LS is Gold. I drool every time I see one on the road.

Old 08-06-2010, 08:18 PM

1,302 posts, read 2,948,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennesseestorm View Post
I completely agree with you... they needed more cars for the younger set... I just think they should have also left the option for the larger "Land yacht" for those that liked it... but even the DTS seemed to be straying away from that becoming more of a sports sedan. Even the wheels on these cars look like sports coupe wheels and not luxury sedan wheels. Now that Lincoln is calling the end to the Town Car this year (and the Grand Marquis), which was the last true luxury car, its the end of an era. There are still "old people" out there that need and want a big luxury car.
I guess this depends on the individual, but I can't imagine any way the DTS could ever be considered a "sport sedan". I rented one once, and it made my dad's Hyundai Azera (think "cheaper Avalon") feel like an Audi or VW GTI.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive