Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2010, 09:50 AM

371 posts, read 938,129 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
That happened to me at the gym. I was sitting in my car, a guy pulled in next to me, opened his door (which actually hit my car hard enough to make it shake a little)...he kept on doing whatever he was doing. I rolled down my window and was like, "Are you serious?!!" He was like, "You should chill out. It's not that bad." And then walked off.

People are a-holes. I just love how many people tell you that you should 'chill out' when you point out how they are behaving badly. Yeah, try to make me feel 'uncool' when you are an inconsiderate jerk. What great parents these people must have had.
That would cause me to call and get a police report and a call to his insurance company right quick!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2010, 12:50 PM

9,894 posts, read 22,018,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
That happened to me at the gym. I was sitting in my car, a guy pulled in next to me, opened his door (which actually hit my car hard enough to make it shake a little)...he kept on doing whatever he was doing. I rolled down my window and was like, "Are you serious?!!" He was like, "You should chill out. It's not that bad." And then walked off.

People are a-holes. I just love how many people tell you that you should 'chill out' when you point out how they are behaving badly. Yeah, try to make me feel 'uncool' when you are an inconsiderate jerk. What great parents these people must have had.
Thats was totally wrong of the musclehead. He must of caused some sort of damage to your car. Im just surprised you let him get away with it. I sure wouldnt have.

Old 08-13-2010, 02:24 PM

136 posts, read 424,013 times
She seems to be what I call the no comon sense parent,she probably puts a helmet on her kid to ride a bike but will not teach them respect for others and their property!

Old 08-13-2010, 02:40 PM

6,987 posts, read 21,923,139 times
In the past while in my car and a person opens their car door and dings my door I always say "no problem as I get the car painted every Monday".

Old 08-13-2010, 10:49 PM

3,306 posts, read 12,218,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bagu View Post
In the past while in my car and a person opens their car door and dings my door I always say "no problem as I get the car painted every Monday".
And is that a good thing or a bad thing?

Old 08-14-2010, 10:01 AM

11,157 posts, read 13,997,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosecitywanderer View Post
So I pulled into the parking lot of our local grocery store and right as I pulled into my parking space, some sour-looking woman with her kid comes out. She unlocks the car to my left and the kid immediately wings the door open, right into my car WHILE I'M STILL IN IT!

I opened the door, pretty angry but trying to stay cool. This woman was a complete ***** about it, too. She took all the time in the world to make sure her little boy got nice and comfortable before slowly closing the door. "Where did it hit?" I asked. She looked at me as if this was the least important thing in the history of man kind and opened the door again to indicate the point of impact rather than take the energy to bend down and see what happened. I found two chips, not too small but through to the metal. After inspecting it, I stood up and said, "Don't worry about it. But tell him to be more careful next time." She said not one word to me this whole time. Not a sorry, not a 'you apologize to that man', NOTHING. I honestly think if I hadn't gotten out and said anything when I did, she would have just driven off.

She better hope I don't see her car again because if and when I do, I will key it all the way around. I might even kick a door in or break off a mirror.
I was on the opposite side of this just about a week ago. I pulled into a space at a store, and as I was getting out, my daughter (turned 4 just a few days after this happened) gave her door about as good a push as she could. Right into the car next to us. The owner was in the car on her phone. I got out, took note of a good sized scratch, and showed my daughter. "Look what you did to her car!" I made her go over to the driver and apologize, and of course, she (my daughter, not the other driver) started crying. The other driver, who happened to be a mother of 4 herself, stated that it was no big deal.

Her car, a Pacifica, was not in tip-top shape, but that wasn't the point. It was something she either was making monthly payments for, or had already paid a lot of $$$ for. I was fully prepared to provide her my info and she insisted all was well and not to worry about it. A big break for me.

Accidents happen, and with more frequency when kids are around. You try hard, but you can't stop everything from going wrong. I tell my kids not to even touch other cars in a parking lot. Sometimes they do anyways. Constant correction required. It drives me crazy to see other people allowing their kids to mindlessly disrespect others' property, so I am trying hard avoid being guilty of the same. But with kids, even when you try to stay one step ahead, they are always going to find a way.

On a side note, a couple days later I took my vehicle to a body shop for an estimate. We had just bought this vehicle, a Toyota Sequoia, otherwise I may have just shrugged off the light damage. The very tip of the door had been bent back far enough that the paint had cracked. Over $700 just to reshape the sheet metal, sand and paint! Such is life.

Old 08-18-2010, 11:50 AM

5,119 posts, read 16,593,991 times
Accident or not, the woman owed you an apology, or to at least acknowlege the kid hit your car.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive