Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2010, 02:48 AM

3,046 posts, read 6,261,635 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007.5 View Post
Heres the car i am seriously considering : 80 Monza Spider Drag Car (http://montgomery.craigslist.org/cto/1861588538.html - broken link) . Its a 4 point suspension, 2 speed glide, 9" rear, single stage nitrous ., delay box.

I have raced in the other lane with this Monza. It doesn't do anything stupid, goes straight, and hooks well. It's a 4 link, and i only mention that because the race parts suppliers will call it a 4 link, not 4 point. This car is a decent car,not my cup of tea, but it is a good bracket car.
Just starting off, I wouldn't even worry about try the Nitrous for a while. When I had raced against it, it wasn't Nitrous'ed. But from the add I believe this is a smaller engine too. If you buy this one, get Jerry Bickle Race Cars' Chassis Wizzard c-d and whatever else Jerry puts in the package. You will learn about instant center, static center, 4 corner weighing, etc. A car like the Monza with what it sounds like the engine is now should 60 foot in the 1.25-1.30 second range without any problems. More engine and those 60's can drop.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2010, 03:06 AM

3,046 posts, read 6,261,635 times
Just getting into racing at the 1/8 th mile Strip near me.

Questions :

1. Looking to buy a race car in the $10-13,000 range and have found a couple with aluminum rods ; I want to drive the race car from my house to the strip which is 3 miles each way. WIll it be alright to do this with a motor having aluminum rods ?

2. Im looking at cars having a 2 speed Glide trans . Are these reliable for hard launching using a trans brake ? The rwhp on the cars im looking at are about 600 .

3. What is the MINIMUM i should be looking for as far as the suspension goes ?

4. Typically, at what RPM is good to launch at after a good burnout ?

5. Any tips for buying a race car appreciated.

Thanks.

I did want to revist your original post as I seen a couple things.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with running Aluminum rods on the street. That said, you need to follow a VERY CAREFUL warm up routine. Now this is where you have to know not only what brand of connecting rods, but which material; In other words it might have Bill Miller aluminum rods in it, and it's the very best "452" forged rods, or the rods might be say from Brooks, and either that companies 396 material or 496 material. That is where call the manufacturer of the rods ask them which start up/warm up routine they recommend and how long of "heat soak" time before any load such as moving the car. I've had Bill Miller alum. rods in a 428 Pontiac engine go 200,000 miles without any breakage or issues.

Back on suspension, A ladder bar double adjustible is min. set up I would consider. But it you can go 4 link, thats the way. Coil over double adjustable shocks in back, ( and I would go with AFFCO shocks, as they are best value for the money and actualy just as tunable as the high dollar KONI 11 'S used in Pro Stock cars. If you have any questions on a car, you can pm me anytime. If you are wondering, yes, I love drag racing and used to drive a Pro Stock NHRA car. Currently do engine head developement with rolandracing.com for the old Pontiac V8's. And yes, this past weekend in Norwalk ohio was a success for us and the cylinder head program. Rodney Butler's 63 Tempest twin turbo ride went 6.24 at only 228 mph in the 1/4.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive