Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2010, 05:14 PM

11,157 posts, read 13,995,357 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokingGun View Post
I know you didn't mention it but have you ever considered a Hyundai Genesis 4.6 V8? My cousin is thinking about getting one just for the speed & acceleration, since he's always envied his dad's wicked fast 550i. Of course it doesn't handle like a BMW (and maybe not even the SHO), but if you're mainly commuting it may not bother you.
It's funny you mention that! There was a huge debate on this forum a couple weeks ago relating to the Hyundai Equus, and Hyundai's entry into the luxury market.

While I think that Hyundai has come a long way in just the last 10 years, I'm not ready to give their current line a try until I see how they stand a few years down the road. If these models hold their value in relation to the competition, I wouldn't rule them out in the future. But for now I simply am not ready to pay that kind of $$$ for a Hyundai.

The Genesis V8 MSRP is over $39,000, higher than the SHO. The V8 has only 10 HP more than the SHO V6, and less torque (350 vs 333 or something like that), though it is slightly lighter than the SHO. Again, I fall back to the fact that I've owned several Fords over the years and have always had good service from them. The Genesis is still more affordable than the 5 series, but we're talking the difference between a Hyndai and a BMW. Hyundai still has a few years to go before it's name is not associated with economy imports.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2010, 05:50 PM

3,306 posts, read 12,215,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banger View Post
Funny, but the money I payed for it with was still the old fashioned U.S. Dollar.

If I didn't get my moneys worth than, why would I gamble 10's of thousands on the same bet now.
What kind of logic is this? The new and old SHO's share NOTHING in common aside from a name.

Old 08-21-2010, 06:43 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,820,716 times
both are excellent vehicles in their own right, but personally i would go with the SHO over the BMW. why? initial cost for one reason, second maintenance costs are going to be lower with the SHO. third i like the all wheel drive. and fourth i have had a number of ford products over the years, and all of them were quite reliable and long lasting. the only reason i got rid of them is that i got bored with them(i was young at the time what can i say).

Old 08-21-2010, 06:46 PM

11,039 posts, read 16,851,256 times
I think the new Taurus SHO is a slick car, but they need to pull a Hyundai Genesis and mark it much lower than the competition to make up for the lack or prestige. Even if the SHO will clock the 528i, most people are going to think "Taurus" and move on at that price point, or walk over to the Infiniti lot.

When thinking about the cost of these two cars, the BMW's all-encompassing warranty closes a lot of the gap. Only thing to keep in mind is that if you keep it a few years longer than the warranty or eclipse the mileage restrictions, you'll have to pay way more for maintenance out of pocket than you would for the Ford.

Old 08-22-2010, 07:47 AM

143 posts, read 416,904 times
The BMW is the far better choice. The SHO is a decent car, but seriously, almost $45k for a Ford Taurus? The depreciation alone would make you cry. I have owned a good amount of BMWs over the years, and I would venture to say the new 528 is going to be more reliable than a Taurus SHO over the long haul. Now, if you were shopping the 535 instead, the tables would be turned.

Old 08-22-2010, 08:42 AM

745 posts, read 2,208,461 times
Just as you seemed to understand in your initial post, and as most people have based their opinion on, if you want a car with a reputation, built by a European company, and worry about impressing your neighbors then go with the BMW. But if you want the better, more powerful car and want to be smarter with your money, go with the Taurus SHO. With a 2010 or 2011 model, I really don't think you'd have to worry about reliability with either model. Especially newer Fords have great reputation, reliability ratings, and greatly increased resale values. Ford's luxury car would actually be the Lincoln MKS, but I still think the Taurus SHO is dollar-for-dollar the best car out of them all.

On the side of the SHO, it's far less initial cost of at least 10K, far less maintenance cost down the road, and it's American roots. Virtually everybody who has given their reason for not getting the SHO has based their opinion on a misinformed or arrogant line of reasoning such as not wanting an American car (which does seem to be a theme among BMW owners) or immediately dismissing the Taurus name due to the 90's version which has no correlation to what Ford is now producing now. Similarly, I wouldn't see a mid-90's BMW experience as relevent. The Taurus isn't even the same class of car. It wouldn't even be a hard decision for me as I'd go with the SHO.

For the BMW, you're really buying into the imported reputation. You can expect far less incentives on top of the sticker price, and a tight maintenance schedule with much higher repair bills after the maintenance period both in terms of parts and labor. I'm sure it's also a great car with nice interior and exterior styling, I just don't think it's worth all the extra expense.

Old 08-22-2010, 09:15 AM

4,500 posts, read 12,337,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
When thinking about the cost of these two cars, the BMW's all-encompassing warranty closes a lot of the gap. Only thing to keep in mind is that if you keep it a few years longer than the warranty or eclipse the mileage restrictions, you'll have to pay way more for maintenance out of pocket than you would for the Ford.
You can buy the extended warranty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor92 View Post
For the BMW, you're really buying into the imported reputation. You can expect far less incentives on top of the sticker price, and a tight maintenance schedule with much higher repair bills after the maintenance period both in terms of parts and labor. I'm sure it's also a great car with nice interior and exterior styling, I just don't think it's worth all the extra expense.
You make some relatively broad and simple generalizations regarding the BMW and those who buy them, considering how you criticize people you feel do just that to the Ford.

Many who buy a BMW, or plan on it doesn't care one bit about any brand reputation, or status that comes with it. Especially when it comes to the BMW enthusiasts it's purely a matter of appreciating a great ride and a great build quality. I've never been in a car that rides like a BMW, with it's perfect compromise between sport and cruiser (luxury) it truly is the greatest driving machine.

That's not to say that they haven't made their share of blunders over the years, and that everything they do makes as much sense, but that doesn't depreciate the great models they make.

Regarding your comment about the maintenance, cost and needed labor, you're simply wrong. The newest BMW's do not have a tight maintenance schedule, in fact, if primarily highway driven, some of them will go over 12k miles between oil changes, having heard of those going north of 15k miles. And once the warranty period is over (if I understand correctly, BMW requires you to go to one of their shops during the warranty period in the states?), there are excellent independent mechanics far cheaper, and in most cases you can get uprated or OEM spec aftermarket parts significantly cheaper, if you chose to be a smart consumer. (such as buying the same identical part from the same factory, only it doesn't have BMW stamped on the box it comes in.)

So yes, the purchase price is higher, for a car with less outright performance (power figures), and yes, some of that money is purely brand name, you do however, get a better fitted and higher quality interior, you get, quite possibly, the best seats in it's class, and you get a truly great driving experience.

And once again, maintenance and running costs is nothing to worry about, and should not be a deciding factor in the choice between these two automobiles.

Old 08-22-2010, 09:54 AM

11,157 posts, read 13,995,357 times
All,
Thanks again for the posts. Last thing I intended was for peoples' opinions on these two cars to become the catalyst for an argument.

It turns out that after sitting in both cars, my wife likes the Taurus better. The BMW feels too much like a "sports car". I mentioned that my current vehicle is a Mustang, and she hates driving it because of the low to the ground feel. The SHO has a more upright feel in the driver seat that she appreciates.

I suppose I should take that into consideration when I pull the trigger on this deal.

Old 08-22-2010, 10:25 AM

745 posts, read 2,208,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheViking85 View Post
You make some relatively broad and simple generalizations regarding the BMW and those who buy them, considering how you criticize people you feel do just that to the Ford.
Not at all, as I alluded in my quote, the BMW cars also have great reputations, are a prestigious, luxury brand, to many people are a status symbol, and are fine machines. And nowhere did I make criticisms of those that buy them, my criticism is that experience from a model over a decade ago is not valid for either manufacturer now.

The question was why I would choose one car over the other and I merely gave my reasoning. I feel you simply thought I had the wrong tone with my message and that's not the case because I was just trying to be helpful in bringing up the reasons I would choose one car over the other. Buying an American car is a big selling point for me, and the argument was previously brought up regarding choosing a BMW and never again buying an American car. I was offering the other half of the debate. If there was something else I said that you feel is an incorrect generalization, just let me know and I'll fully explain the message I was trying to get across. I simply feel the SHO offers more and the BMW tries to make up for it with its nameplate and reputation as the "ultimate driving machine."

As for maintenance, 10-12K oil changes is pretty standard for highway miles, but it is tight in respect to the fact that it should be adhered to in every aspect of the maintenance schedule because of the consequences of a part failure. If you neglect maintenance or do something else to invalidate your warranty and it's not covered, or if the warranty is expired, you will be stuck with a very large repair bill. $150/hr at the local independent import repair shop in my area for labor alone while the shop I go to next to it is about 1/3 that. The total maintenance cost of a vehicle over the life of it is something that should at least be considered IMO also, and another selling point for me. No offense at all to BMW or their owners, I would just prefer to go with the SHO based on those points and the offered features.

Edit Added: On the other hand and just as you said, there have been a few posters dismissing the Taurus SHO and giving negatives based on generalization of the Taurus name, and I feel that is incorrect. It is only fair to give the other side of the argument which I have not otherwise seen posted on the thread.

To the OP, best of luck in your decision and I'm sure either model will serve you well for years to come. Enjoy the test drives!

Last edited by Trevor92; 08-22-2010 at 11:22 AM.. Reason: more details

Old 08-22-2010, 10:36 AM

5,007 posts, read 15,416,797 times
It's extremely difficult to invalidate a manufacturers warranty. You almost have to purposefully set out to do so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive