Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Will there become a time when minivans become obsolete?
Yes 11 16.42%
No 43 64.18%
They already are 13 19.40%
Voters: 67. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2010, 11:04 AM

4,472 posts, read 17,702,751 times

Advertisements

With all the new crossover SUV's being introduced and minivan sales declining steadily for many years now, are we going to get to a point where minivans will be a thing of the past?

Chevrolet no longer offers any minivan in their lineup neither does Ford. Most automakers are making crossover SUV's to replace the aging look of the minivan. Many crossover SUV's now have room for 7 occupants as well as offering a better ride and more cargo room. Crossovers are the fastest growing segment of the automobile community with most families opting to use a crossover as their primary vehicle.

What do you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2010, 11:14 AM

11,155 posts, read 29,326,902 times
yeah the went out in the early 00's and the in the mid 00's companys started to drop them and replace them with mid-size suvs with a third row seat option or crossover's with a third row seat option.

also things like the PT cruiser and chevy HHR, scion XB. ford flex made cheap interesting styled cars with tons of room inside which became popular too.

my only hope is automakers stay focused on building great small and mid-size cars so we don't end up like last time stuck in a gas crisis with huge the SUV's sitting on the lots. it is what killed the big three last time they lost focus making awsome suvs in a already flooded market but forgot about the entry level economy cars.

Old 08-01-2010, 11:20 AM

20,868 posts, read 23,562,225 times
Chevy and Ford stopped making them because they never were able to make a good one. That said, I believe that minivans will soon be a thing of the past.

Old 08-01-2010, 11:27 AM

11,155 posts, read 29,326,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trlhiker View Post
Chevy and Ford stopped making them because they never were able to make a good one. That said, I believe that minivans will soon be a thing of the past.
chrysler made the worst of the big three with a tranny 3-speed borrwed from the neon mated to a 3.0 mitusbishi motor that was terrible suck gas like a huge V6 but made the power of a 4-banger.

the best mini-vans were the chevy astro and ford aerostar because they were based off light truck platforms and could do some decent towing and haul 7 people no problem.

the FWD minivans were not that great I agree with that.

also you can never go wrong with a ford econoline or chevy savannna full size van they have been solid for 30+ years now

Old 08-01-2010, 12:45 PM

692 posts, read 3,142,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOlover View Post
chrysler made the worst of the big three with a tranny 3-speed borrwed from the neon mated to a 3.0 mitusbishi motor that was terrible suck gas like a huge V6 but made the power of a 4-banger.

the best mini-vans were the chevy astro and ford aerostar because they were based off light truck platforms and could do some decent towing and haul 7 people no problem.

the FWD minivans were not that great I agree with that.

also you can never go wrong with a ford econoline or chevy savannna full size van they have been solid for 30+ years now

Sorry Guys, but I beg to differ on some of the the Chevy Mini Van comments. ie. Trlhiker

The later model Venture Van 2004 and 2005 (The last years produced) I custom ordered one of the last ones produced (2005) right at the point where they brought in the 05 Uplander. I had a choice and took the Venture Van that by that time had most all the bugs worked out.

I have owned Many New Suburbans since 1974, 4 New Beauville vans, and 6 New Astro window Vans as well, but the Venture Van has been the Best vehicle I have ever owned, and I still own it, and drive it every day now 77,000 miles with no squeaks or rattles.

Even though I liked my Astro vans for a specific duty, they had quite a few problems. The last one I ordered had a drumming sound inside that sounded like a car next to me with a BOOM BOX going.
After 10 Chevy tries to resolve it, they finally gave up and offered me Cash back, another new Astro, or a new Venture van No Charge for all my time and trouble.
I chose the Venture Van and boy was I glad I did. Granted it is not a HD hauler, (rated for 3500lb. w/trailer tow package) but it is everything else.

Finacially, I can afford to buy any vehicle my little old heart desires but at my age I am not into the "In Things" anymore and even though I usually by a new vehicle at least every 2 years, I refuse to get rid of this van.
The only problem I have encounted is front rotors warping prematurely(whats new) and I took care of that with new Quality slotted/drilled aftermarket rotors and ceramic linning. No problems since.
I had the brakes just checked and the original rear riveted linning are only 1/3worn at 77,000 miles. The mechanic couldn't believe it. I was there when they checked them (I realize that it has to do with proportioning)
I had the complete system brake fluid purged and back on the road.
I regularily can get 30 MPG on trips even with the air conditioner on. Std 87 octane fuel (Chevron) and have logged as high as 32 MPG on one trip. What can I say, I'm an easy driver.
I've been a car buff since my teen age years and have worked both as a Car mechanic and a Marine dealer amongst many other things.
Been into Rods during the 50's thru 70's.
Love Cars and Boats and owned and built many Custom things of beauty over the years.
I tell you all this to let you know I am not just the average car buyer spewing BS.
I could make a much longer list of items on the Venture that make it an Outstanding Mini Van but I won't bore you.
And I have driven them ALL.....

SF

Last edited by silverfox; 08-01-2010 at 01:29 PM..

Old 08-01-2010, 01:51 PM
f_m

2,289 posts, read 8,371,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverfox View Post
Sorry Guys, but I beg to differ on some of the the Chevy Mini Van comments. ie. Trlhiker
I could make a much longer list of items on the Venture that make it an Outstanding Mini Van but I won't bore you.
And I have driven them ALL.....

SF
Well, I hope you don't get into a crash, it doesn't do well at all in that situation. Most older vehicles don't do well since the safety of the older generations were not good.

Chevy Venture

YouTube - Crash Test 1997 - 2005 Pontiac Transport / Montana , 1997 - 2005 Chevrolet Venture , 1997 - 2004 Oldsmobile Silhouette (Frontal Impact) IIHS "Narration"

Chevy Astro

YouTube - iihs worst worst crash test part 3

Old 08-01-2010, 02:02 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,849,024 times
I'm not a fan of them personally, but think they'll stick around because, while they haven't been trendy since about 1987, they do offer better cargo space and a more affordable price (purchase plus gas expenses) than any of the crossovers out there that share many of the functions.

Old 08-01-2010, 02:17 PM

692 posts, read 3,142,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by f_m View Post
Well, I hope you don't get into a crash, it doesn't do well at all in that situation. Most older vehicles don't do well since the safety of the older generations were not good.

Chevy Venture

YouTube - Crash Test 1997 - 2005 Pontiac Transport / Montana , 1997 - 2005 Chevrolet Venture , 1997 - 2004 Oldsmobile Silhouette (Frontal Impact) IIHS "Narration"

Chevy Astro

YouTube - iihs worst worst crash test part 3
The frontal crash doesn't look good and thanks for the pictures... BUT,

I can tell you I got hit sitting still at a stop light by a gal in a late Ford Focus wagon and both her airbags went off actually creating a fire in the cab.
I jumped out and rescued her from deadly smoke inhalation by dragging her out of the car onto the ground. She went to the Hospital.
Verdict.....Focus totalled. It looked like it had hit a wall @40mph.
Because the hit was so hard I expected to see the whole rear of the Van in shambles.

Damage to my van.... 2 slightly bent bumper support hangers and mild damage to the outer plastic bumper. No rear hatch or other body damage.

Because I took it to a quality body shop they replaced those items and repainted the plastic bumper. You can not tell it was ever hit as their paintwork was perfect from all angles.

Old 08-01-2010, 02:59 PM
f_m

2,289 posts, read 8,371,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverfox View Post
The frontal crash doesn't look good and thanks for the pictures... BUT,

I can tell you I got hit sitting still at a stop light by a gal in a late Ford Focus wagon and both her airbags went off actually creating a fire in the cab.
I jumped out and rescued her from deadly smoke inhalation by dragging her out of the car onto the ground. She went to the Hospital.
Verdict.....Focus totalled. It looked like it had hit a wall @40mph.
Because the hit was so hard I expected to see the whole rear of the Van in shambles.

Damage to my van.... 2 slightly bent bumper support hangers and mild damage to the outer plastic bumper. No rear hatch or other body damage.

Because I took it to a quality body shop they replaced those items and repainted the plastic bumper. You can not tell it was ever hit as their paintwork was perfect from all angles.
The Ford Focus only got an Acceptable in vehicle structure, not a Good rating from the Insurance institute, so that one is apparently not that good either. Getting hit from behind is clearly different since you have a lot more space to protect you (and I suspect the rear is stronger for basic towing), and less momentum.

Hopefully you didn't get any whiplash, as I know someone who has suffered for years after being hit from behind waiting at a light.

Old 08-01-2010, 03:00 PM

5,641 posts, read 24,960,086 times
IMO hauling people and their stuff is far easier in the MV than a CO. Although I think they still have a future the marketplace is fickle and has doomed practical vehicles in the past for little reason.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive