Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2010, 08:24 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,963,815 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
Well, if you have had good luck with them, go there I guess. Not every shop of every chain is bad, just most of them can be beat by an indy shop IMHO.

You can't really rate brakes by how many years they last - utterly depends on your driving style, where you drive, what you drive, etc. etc. I get mega miles out of a set of brake pads but I drive on rural backroads almost exclusively. If I drove in Seattle a lot, with all the hills and lights, I could not get near the miles that I do here.
I agree. I tend to seize calipers from lack of use. And that will be what eats up my brake pads. Where i live a set of traffic lights is usually blinking yellow and opposite red.
35 yeas ago I got busted for J walking, and the Katdet hauled me in to book me. The desk sgt asked if i understood the problem and i protested i wasn't dancing, doing the then new moonwalk. A short discussion on where i was from the telling about the above sty;e lights and the desk sgt let me go after pointing out cross walks

That kadet looked like a bad puppy, so sad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2010, 05:29 PM

12,115 posts, read 33,683,123 times
Default took it to Midas

they said the rear brakes were OK, they cleaned them or adjusted them. After, i did a big cleaning job inside, vacuuming the floors and mats, and cleaning the door panels and dash, bought a black velour steering wheel wrap and 2 soft front seat covers(good for the extremes in weather) with some flat pillows for extra support. now the 18 year old car looks much newer inside and smells like lemons instead of an old car smell

I used to do this with my old 71 Duster, fixed up the inside with a steering wheel wrap and deluxe seat covers to make a more deluxe look as opposed to the "old car seat" look

does anyone else have an old car that they tart up with velour or soft add- ons to detract from the stark old- car look and feel?

Old 08-27-2010, 05:55 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,963,815 times
Yeah my 83/83 cross year chevy truck a real truck with solid axels and leaf spring all the way around gets a tad boring with the same interiors over the years, The seats a red buckets from a buick long gone in a wine red and the carpet is bright red shag The outside is military camo 3 colors no black.

With the current selections of play toy trucks i guess I will have to make this one last another 20 years. I think I will oakwood flat bed it, and make removable racks all the way around some time.

What i really would like to do is find the oldest possible chevy truck that will take the engine and be 4x4 and make it older so far back as I can. I don't know how old a chevy can bolt up a 350 small block though, with out welding in new mounts. It is and will always be a work truck, but it does have headers, alloy hi-ise intake manifold and a 4 barrel webber carb.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive