Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2010, 01:54 PM

4,500 posts, read 12,337,523 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc63 View Post
Why make laws that penalize those that can aquire skill and limit freedom of choice, when you can educate and allow personal responsibility?

You know why so many modern Americans don't take personal responsibility? They look to the government to do it for them. Instead of coddling stupid people, why not make stupid people smarter? This goes for any laws of a similar nature.
That rationality can be applied to pretty much any law in existence. If people were skillful and always acted reasonable, there'd be no need for laws. Fact of the matter is, they don't, never have, never will, and the seeing as the state of the world generally improves continuously, I wouldn't say the legislation is too far off.

That said, like someone else pointed out, another debate entirely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
Your "fact" dismisses the number of people found dead in their cars with their seat belts on.
Where did I dismiss that? Did I claim seat belts are the magical formula that aids you in surviving anything?

At certain speeds and in certain collisions, yes you'll be killed when wearing a seatbelt too.

If you don't, you'll be killed in a hell of a lot more of them, essentially a 30mph crash can turn lethal. There's nothing to argue there, at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2010, 01:58 PM

2,497 posts, read 7,474,533 times
I didn't used to think it should be a law, but since it is a law I wear it. It's second nature now.
If this law would not have been created I would never have started wearing it. 2 weeks ago today My little bro and I plowed into a Cavalier at 45mph in his Honda CRV. It was an old lady and she was at fault. The bags came out and the belts locked us in. It was pretty horrifying and I'll never forget the impact and the loud smashing of glass, metal, plastic. We both had some bruising, nothing big, from the belt. Guarantee we would have went through the windshield if it werent for the belts and Honda's 5 star all around crash rating.
That's the second CRV that kept us safe in a bad crash. The lady in the Cavalier was not as fortunate.

Seat belts save lives, as do air bags. Period. Don't wanna wear it? Don't wear it, but don't cry when you are disfigured from going through the windshield.

Old 12-06-2010, 02:18 PM

15,700 posts, read 17,036,788 times
I got my driver's license in 1970.............I wore my seatbelt way back then, just because I didn't want my face mangled and scarred in an accident.

I have never driven once in my life without my seatbelt on.

Even when I am just moving the car from the garage to the driveway............I catch myself putting the seatbelt on........it is just so automatic to me.

Old 12-06-2010, 03:14 PM

278 posts, read 992,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racelady88 View Post
As a child I watched my best friend burn to death in an overturned vehicle because she could not get out of her seatbelt...
For every story like this, there are a dozen stories of seat belts saving lives.

I hear alot of people saying they don't wear it because it isn't comfortable. To that, I say "Sign here".

Old 12-06-2010, 03:27 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,639,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
Sure a few people might have lived if they hadn't been trapped in their car with belts on.

But a vastly larger number of traffic deaths could have been avoided if the passengers had their belts on.
I wasn't thinking of people "trapped" by their seat belts, I'm talking about crashes so bad that the seat belt did nothing to protect them (nor did the airbag).

Old 12-06-2010, 03:33 PM

5,228 posts, read 15,282,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheViking85 View Post
That rationality can be applied to pretty much any law in existence.
ys it can, but in a land built on personal fredoms and the idea that "anyone who woud trade a bit of personal freedom for a bit of safety deserves neither" it's troublesome how willing the government is to intrude and run your life for you.

Every time someone says "there ought to be a law" my first instinct is to say, "have you really thought it through? Becaeu there probably oughtn't be."

Laws should be the barest minimum, to promote personal freedom, keep people from intentionally harming others, and promote personal responsibility. Oh, and to facilitate commerce.

Old 12-06-2010, 04:26 PM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,379,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc63 View Post
ys it can, but in a land built on personal fredoms and the idea that "anyone who woud trade a bit of personal freedom for a bit of safety deserves neither" it's troublesome how willing the government is to intrude and run your life for you.

Every time someone says "there ought to be a law" my first instinct is to say, "have you really thought it through? Becaeu there probably oughtn't be."

Laws should be the barest minimum, to promote personal freedom, keep people from intentionally harming others, and promote personal responsibility. Oh, and to facilitate commerce.
So I guess there shouldn't be any speed limits either, just let people drive as fast as they want because most people are good drivers and everybody should be able to control their car no matter how fast they are driving.

How about lets do away with that pass only on the left, that's a stupid law.
And whats wrong with tailgating, I am a better driver than most so I should be able to tailgate.

Too many laws your right.

Old 12-06-2010, 04:42 PM

12,115 posts, read 33,670,625 times
Default generally i always wore them

but it wasn't until the late 90's that I realized WHY seat belts were so important. To try to avoid being thrown thru the windshield or ejected elsewhere in a collision as learned in defensive driving class. it didn't occur to me that on impact your body is still traveling at the speed you were going when you impacted even tho the vehicle slowed to zero mph. that's a chilling thought and that's why the aftermath of plane crashes can be so gruesome

Old 12-07-2010, 07:19 AM

5,228 posts, read 15,282,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
So I guess there shouldn't be any speed limits either, just let people drive as fast as they want because most people are good drivers and everybody should be able to control their car no matter how fast they are driving.
Worked in Montana until the feds decided to pull the highway funding. Try again.

And the idea is to replace laws with education.

See, unlike smoking, driving is a skill that you CAN get good at. Deciding, like you have, that you can't, and then limiting everyone to the lowest common denominator, is not freedom, it's not liberty, it's busybody controlling of your fellow man. Educate people then let them make educated choices. Maybe raise the penalties for failing to take responsibility, and use THAT as the measure of control.

Quote:
How about lets do away with that pass only on the left, that's a stupid law.

And whats wrong with tailgating, I am a better driver than most so I should be able to tailgate.

Again, how about make the penalties stiffer for failure to take responsibility, so that if you DO fail in that regard, it really costs. IF you knew that there was going to be a huge fine for contributing to an accident, would you be so cavalier with your driving? That way you can have rules of the road, but the LAW is that you don't harm anyone thourgh your incompetence. And you pay heavily for incompetence. That way peopel who ARE skilled aren't penalized for successfully using their skill, but ARE penalized for failure.

It's like driving drunk. Right now, it's still a problem because the penalty is basically a slap on the wrist or a night in the drunk tank even if you kill someone. We have people driving after numerous DWIs and accidents. Make the penalties for harming someone while drunk MUCH higher with no room for pleading it down (even if you're a Kennedy).

Yes, there are too many laws, which generates haphazard enforcement and a clogging of the legal system. Drop the number of laws, and up the penalties for harming others due to failing in the responsibilities that come with driving.

Old 12-07-2010, 07:54 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,159,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
I wasn't thinking of people "trapped" by their seat belts, I'm talking about crashes so bad that the seat belt did nothing to protect them (nor did the airbag).
No one claims seatbelts will always save your life in an accident. But you think they aren't worth wearing because some accidents are so bad the seat belts didn't save the life of the occupants?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive