Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2007, 10:52 AM

6,351 posts, read 21,533,933 times

Advertisements

I believe in seat belts and wear them religiously. The ONLY exception: they are a real nuisance when backing up a tractor trailer. Especially in the yard where we drop our recyclable cardboard trailers. They just do not allow the freedom of movement needed to comfortably look out the driver's window while backing. I'm afraid some overzealous cop is going to see me backing up with it off and won't believe that I took it off after I arrived at the dock/yard...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2007, 10:57 AM

1,712 posts, read 4,232,870 times
I feel naked without a seatbelt.

Old 06-28-2007, 11:48 AM

304 posts, read 1,430,667 times
I lost my 3 year old cousin in an accident when I was a kid; he was ejected from the vehicle because he was not buckled in. This was back when seat belt use was not a state law. Even after seeing our family members losing a child, my parents never wore their belts our had my brother or I wear ours until it became a state law (about when I was 12 or so).

I have always worn my seat belt religiously since then, and I have taught my kids to never remove their seat belts until the vehicle is turned off and we are parked. We follow the recommendations for booster seats too. I just cringe when I see other cars with the kids crawling all over the place in the car, obviously not buckled in.

My parents still do not wear their seat belts, and complain when their vehicle dings at them to remind them. I have tried to convince them otherwise, but they do not listen.

Old 06-28-2007, 04:31 PM

18,013 posts, read 27,460,166 times
Default Click it or Ticket

In Colorado, when they stop people, they'll add the $25.00 fine. It's this click it or ticket campaign. My wife never had a ticket so far. I saw her pulled over a couple of weeks ago as I drove by.

I asked her if she flashed them her badge. She said "No way! I broke the law and I should pay for it."

He gave her a warning for not coming to a complete stop at the stop sign, but she got the $25.00 fine for not having the seat belt on. She got lucky. No points and no insurance involvement. When we're driving somewhere I often have to remind her to put the seat belt on, as I reluctantly put mine on. If I'm driving, it's my responsibility to see that everyone's properly buckled up, right? Save for some freak accidents, it's the law. I don't want to even give them a reason to pull me over. Colorado is tough enough as it is. Don't ever get broadsided. Be very careful going through intersections. I know that accidents happen, but I don't want to go that way.

Old 06-28-2007, 04:46 PM

36,420 posts, read 16,028,365 times
Although I always wear my seatbelt, some people don't because they think it's a choice, like wearing a helmet on a motorcycle or a hundred other things people think are choices and should not be governed.

My neice was here last week, she is tall 6' and big 200lbs and I had to constantly remind her to buckle up or I wasn't going anywhere, it's odd to me because her mother was thrown out of the sunroof of her car and was crushed 13 years ago and still suffering with pain because of it.

People chose to do whatever they do. Some oppose laws that infringe on our privacy and rights and so on. OK I know, here goes another (we've had this thread before) comment. I'll shut up now!!

Old 06-28-2007, 04:56 PM

11,466 posts, read 19,350,315 times
I always wear mine, around here most people who are killed are ejected from the car because they were not wearing a seatbelt, it's automatic for me to wear mine.

Old 06-28-2007, 06:52 PM

641 posts, read 2,370,600 times
I always forget.

Old 06-28-2007, 06:52 PM

653 posts, read 3,408,644 times
I would not drive anything, without my seat belt on. Including the Tractor-Trailer that I drive for a living. Seat belts are a life saving device. There is absolutely NO excuse for ANYONE to not use them. Including the old, "Well it's my RIGHT to drive and not wear one". WRONG-----Driving is NOT a right--it's an earned privilege. And with that privilege comes the responsibility of not being stupid. Like not wearing a seatbelt!!

Old 06-28-2007, 07:04 PM

1,048 posts, read 4,345,471 times
There is no valid answer to that question, IMO. However, everyday people fail to use it and die for this mistake.

Old 06-28-2007, 08:15 PM

31,304 posts, read 32,880,923 times
Thumbs up Don't be a projectile and hit me !

Seatbelts buckled is the law in most every state that I know of. Also infants are required by law to be in the special designed seats that are buckled in.

I’m not the smarted guy on the street but for some reason I just figure that if there is a law that requires the seatbelts and that infants be buckled in, why would I think that I’ll be better off without one? There are too many stats that tell otherwise, wear the seatbelt, if you’re not wearing it, you are the projectile that is coming at everyone else at the accident! I don’t think any of us make good projectiles are 60 – 70 miles per hour.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive