Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2010, 06:42 PM

14,100 posts, read 28,534,474 times

Advertisements

The seatbelt jamming stories sound more like someone panicking and not thinking enough to unbuckle the seatbelt.
Back in 1984 I took driver's ed when it was through the school. The police brought a contraption they called "the convincer". It was a short trailer with a car seat and a large flat metal plate. They took it off the trailer and laid the tongue on the ground. Blocked the wheels, pulled the carseat up to the highest point, and locked it in place. The seat was on a rail and at the end of the rail was the metal plate. One at a time, we got in the seat and buckled in. The cop pulled the lever to releast the brake and we slid down to the plate. At the time we hit the plate, we were told we were doing about 30 mph. When I got my license, I never turned on my car to drive unless my seatbelt was buckled. That goes for my passengers as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2010, 09:32 PM

11,039 posts, read 16,866,369 times
I drive a convertible, and the top is generally down.

I also like to go screaming around twisty canyon roads.

If I didn't belt in and went off the road, hit a tree, flipped, etc. then I'd be ejected immedeately. Same goes for my passenger. I always make sure they're buckled in: if they aren't buckled in, the car doesn't move. Simple as that.

Old 10-11-2010, 10:47 PM

1,955 posts, read 10,983,616 times
Since this 3+ year old thread got bumped ... here's proof that just because you drive something big doesn't mean you're protected without seatbelts.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=puSMFkK243g

Old 10-11-2010, 11:01 PM

3,511 posts, read 5,307,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Narfcake View Post
Since this 3+ year old thread got bumped ... here's proof that just because you drive something big doesn't mean you're protected without seatbelts.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=puSMFkK243g
Semis roll over on the freeway all the time. You see them, trailer and all laying on their side at least 1 every winter month or two. A rollover will put a hurting on you if you are not belted in. Class A CDL's are required to wear them anyway.

Old 10-11-2010, 11:02 PM

3,511 posts, read 5,307,599 times
Google Image Result for http://www.freedomsphoenix.com/Uploads/Graphics/173-0413152945-two-semis.jpg

Old 12-03-2010, 05:53 PM

3,283 posts, read 5,208,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RestonRunner86 View Post
I just read in this morning's Scranton Times-Tribune about an accident yesterday in which four people were injured because they were not wearing seat belts. A young woman from the city was driving on the freeway during a tropical downpour when her Ford Focus hydroplaned and crashed. One of her rear passengers was ejected through the rear window and suffered a broken collarbone and cuts. Both of her other passengers received minor injuries that likely could have been avoided had they been wearing seat belts.

(Photo Courtesy of the Scranton Times-Tribune, 6/28/07)

what's your point? if you don't want to get injured in an auto accident, wear your seatbelt? i wear mine all the time and i make sure my kids do. what you or anyone else does in their own car is their business not mine or yours or anyone else's

Old 12-03-2010, 08:05 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,621,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
The seatbelt jamming stories sound more like someone panicking and not thinking enough to unbuckle the seatbelt.
Back in 1984 I took driver's ed when it was through the school. The police brought a contraption they called "the convincer". It was a short trailer with a car seat and a large flat metal plate. They took it off the trailer and laid the tongue on the ground. Blocked the wheels, pulled the carseat up to the highest point, and locked it in place. The seat was on a rail and at the end of the rail was the metal plate. One at a time, we got in the seat and buckled in. The cop pulled the lever to releast the brake and we slid down to the plate. At the time we hit the plate, we were told we were doing about 30 mph. When I got my license, I never turned on my car to drive unless my seatbelt was buckled. That goes for my passengers as well.
Reminds me of one time when I hit a stump with my lawnmower, it nearly threw me over the hood. Maybe I should put a seat belt on that thing.

Old 12-04-2010, 06:56 AM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,391,312 times
The only reason to NOT wear a seat belt would be a complete lack of common sense.
see post #37

Old 12-04-2010, 08:13 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,867,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zig'sbird View Post
Back when my mother was 16 she was in a car accident. She was hit broadside on the driver's side by a drunk driver out celebrating his 50th birthday. The police officer outright stated that if my mother had been wearing her seatbelt that she would have been killed.

Don't fall for all of the hype about wearing seatbelts. Yes, in the majority of accidents, the seatbelt is a lifesaver. However, in a small few, the seatbelt can be the reason for death. Imagine if my mother had worn her seatbelt. She got hit hard enough that it buckled the backseat enough that it pushed it through the roof of the car. Instead of her being slammed over into the passenger side door, she probably would have been pieces for the police to pick up.
That sound slike don't believe the hype about being safer not wearing a seatbelt to me really.

Old 12-04-2010, 10:17 AM

3,071 posts, read 9,140,968 times
I wonder how many people using seat belts to be safe talk on the cell phone while driving.duh!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive