Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2011, 08:55 PM

954 posts, read 1,280,827 times

Advertisements

Lucky, I have a Mazda6 V6 Sport Grand Touring (yadda, yadda)... It's nice, but whenever I spy a speed6...

I dunno, Mazdas are just so fun to drive, it'll take quite a sedan short of an M5 to get me away from a 6 (and that'll have to be one cheap m5).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2011, 03:41 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,176,801 times
We decided not to put our hopes on the Saab carrying us through the winter. So we dumped it and bought another Mazda6, this time a V6 with a manual. That was a very difficult combination to find -- we drove clear to the WI/MN border to get it. And I'm already starting to regret it, but probably not for the reasons one might think.

Buying this car is making me second-guess having bought a Speed6. In many ways the regular 6, at least as equipped, is a better driver's car. Obviously the Speed6 is a much quicker car, but drive them one after the other and you really feel the extra weight and the ponderousness of the AWD system shifting the torque around. With the regular 6, it's a much more direct feel. It will be a good 6 or 7 months before I can do a true apples-to-apples comparison because the regular 6 has a pretty fresh set of aggressive all-season tires, whereas the Speed6's tires are close to shot and it won't be wearing fresh high-performance tires until April.

It also took me a few days to appreciate how quick the regular 6 is. Getting used to the 6-speed in the Speed6 has shifted my perception of how fast the car should be traveling in which gear. In the Speed6, even at half-throttle in first gear, I have maybe a second and a half before I have to grab 2nd gear. You can't even do 60 in 2nd gear, you have to grab 3rd; whereas the regular 6 will wind out past 60 in 2nd. A stoplight/lane-position sprint against an Altima 2.5 finally gave me an appreciation for how quick the regular 6 is. An Altima 2.5 is no dog, but it's no drag monster either and knew I'd beat him out. I didn't think I'd smoke him as badly as I did.

Overall I'm very pleased with the new acquisition. Now that the wife has a 6 to call her own, I'd do a straight-up trade of the Speed6 for an LGT wagon or even a 5MT Outback XT in a heartbeat if I could. But in order to do so, I'd have to take on a LGT or OBXT with roughly 30-40K more miles than the Speed6 currently has, or come up with another 2 or 3 grand to get an LGT or OBXT with similar mileage to the Speed6. Not quite willing to do either.

Old 09-25-2011, 03:55 PM

2,335 posts, read 4,150,795 times
I had a 6 Sport Wagon that I purchased new in 2005. It was a rare manual too and I really enjoyed it but traded it in 2007 for a Volvo XC90. My 6 had no options except for a body color sport grill. I wanted something a little more luxurious.

I know what you mean about AWD vs the standard car. My DD is an 04 G35x and I feel the difference when I get a RWD G35 loaner. I was still living up north when I purchased the G so I thought I might need it in the snow but I moved before the car even saw a snowflake.

Old 09-25-2011, 04:26 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,176,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardiff Giant View Post
I know what you mean about AWD vs the standard car. My DD is an 04 G35x and I feel the difference when I get a RWD G35 loaner. I was still living up north when I purchased the G so I thought I might need it in the snow but I moved before the car even saw a snowflake.
Now, imagine an AWD system that apportions all of the torque to the front wheels by default. That makes for a very reactive system with a wide torque gap to overcome when called on to do so. I had a WRX years ago and the nice, simple, strictly mechanical 50/50 AWD system, while still evident, was a lot more seamless.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive