Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2010, 07:20 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,525,315 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by melinuxfool View Post
Can't say I've ever seen one that required it. There are some that encourage it with angled spaces, but I've never seen a sign posted that required you to go in front first.

We have angled parking on a bridge downtown that is posted as back-in parking only.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2010, 07:25 PM

7,136 posts, read 12,634,233 times
1. I love the pull through spaces and utilize them whenever I can.

2. I also back into parking spaces so I can pull out, unless it's a very congested lot, and in that case I just pull in.

Old 09-02-2010, 08:10 PM

15,395 posts, read 25,663,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteboyslo View Post
it's not that hard to back in, but it's not that hard to back out, either IMO. only risk i see is backing out into someone who seems to think a parking lot is a great place to practice their 0-60 times, but it has yet to cause me an issue *knock on wood*

Mike
That's one good reason to back in. Another one: Around here, people walking to and from their cars do not watch for people backing. They'll just keep walking, without altering course, or stopping for a sec while a car is backing out of a space. It's so bad here, that I just back in every time. I don't remember people being like that in other places I have lived.

Old 09-03-2010, 08:17 AM

2,698 posts, read 12,124,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
That's one good reason to back in. Another one: Around here, people walking to and from their cars do not watch for people backing. They'll just keep walking, without altering course, or stopping for a sec while a car is backing out of a space. It's so bad here, that I just back in every time. I don't remember people being like that in other places I have lived.
yeah, but the convenience of being able to load the back of the car plus not inconveniencing others while backing in makes it a 50/50 thing to me.

Mike

Old 09-03-2010, 02:17 PM

155 posts, read 452,868 times
I always pull through, though I usually park way in the back of the lot anyway.

What really irks me is when I park way in the back, with a ton of empty spaces around, and some ******* has to park right beside me.

Old 09-07-2010, 08:20 AM

263 posts, read 1,094,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiD310 View Post
What really irks me is when I park way in the back, with a ton of empty spaces around, and some ******* has to park right beside me.
Oh that burns me up too! Had to give you a rep point for this one

Old 09-07-2010, 12:05 PM

6,351 posts, read 21,481,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc63 View Post
If you can't tell where the back of the car is, how do you back into a spot and not hit anything?
Just keep going 'til it sounds expensive...

Old 10-25-2010, 05:35 AM

6,367 posts, read 16,810,286 times
Not sure there's any truth to this

In Indiana:
One man may not back into a parking spot because it prevents police officers from seeing the license plate.

From Dumb Laws in Indiana. Crazy Indiana Laws. We have weird laws, strange laws, and just plain crazy laws!

Old 10-25-2010, 08:10 AM

8,402 posts, read 24,120,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmateo View Post
#1. Getting a "pull-through" is enough to make my whole day better, I love it, but to answer your question, there is one instance I can think of where it is not best. If you are grocery shopping and plan to get a lot of stuff, and need to put it in your trunk, then it may be easier to "front in", just so you don't have to negotiate the cart between vehicles, and so you can easily return it to the store.

#2. I'm also big on backing into a spot, I always do if it's a decent lot, BUT, if you are in a very busy lot, and spaces are at a premium, then at best you could cause confusion by someone being right up behind you, making it hard to back in, or worse yet, some b@$tard will sneak into your spot before you back in.

My wife an I always joke about backing in, I always say "you never know when you need to get away fast". hahahaha

I mostly agree with you, but I tried to answer both questions with thoughts that have actually crossed my mind and led me to park differently.

EDIT> I just read your questions to my wife and she answered both the same as me. I guess we WERE meant to be together. SOULMATES!!!!! <3
The grocery (or any big purchases ending up in the trunk, although I have a small trunk, so that doesn't happen very often) point is a good one, although for me that's the only reason I wouldn't normally back into a space, if a drive-thru wasn't available. I back into my garage. To me it's easier to look into my mirrors so I can see the sides of the car rather than going straight in and not being completely sure. Yes, I know where the sides of my car are, but why make it more difficult than it needs to be?

It's usually faster to back in than to back out. Generally I'm not rushed when backing in, but often can be blocking traffic when backing out. Plus all the time advantages lie with driving straight out. For example,
if someone approaches you at your vehicle, wouldn't it be much faster to drive straight out than to have to back out and then change directions?

Old 10-25-2010, 08:47 AM

42,579 posts, read 86,642,947 times
I just park way out by the far end of the parking lot, where nobody else is parked. That resolves all the problems except the one of having to walk a few yards further to get to the store, but that has never done me any harm.

I once mentioned to a friend that I never park in the closest available spot to the store---I leave it for someone who actually needs a closer space. She told me decades later that she remembers that, and still does it herself. Meanwhile, my sister will drive up and down the lanes several times waiting for a close spot to open up, all the time complaining about the idiots who take up all the parking spaces. She is especially resentful of all the jerks with small cars, that pull in so far that you think there is a parking space, but when you get there, there's a small car in it. She is so much fun to ride with!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive