Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-01-2010, 04:15 PM

219 posts, read 481,540 times

Advertisements

On Main St. Springfield, Vermont:

I heard something that sounded like an electrical arc and I thought I was dreaming.

Then I saw blue lights and saw a police car. (was non-decaled)

Then I saw a blue Focus with the right front tire flat and when I looked closer, saw that both air bags deployed. It was a pre-2005 Focus. An older woman appeared to be the owner.

And it sounded like it just drifted to the right and the pole of one of the town lights, but the light was fine.

I thought I heard one of the folks talking about the wheel bearing going.

The wheel assembly is known to be flawed from the factory with early-gen Focuses!

This looks like a wake-up call that Ford F-ed up!

Focus=Ruckus?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2010, 07:14 AM

968 posts, read 2,624,836 times
wow, you go from "accident" to saying "ford f-ed up"

do you have any evidence to support your claim?

otherwise that logic is not sound.

Old 11-02-2010, 08:33 AM

12,083 posts, read 38,859,793 times
So what you are really saying is that an older woman got into an accident you didn't see, and it is Ford's fault. Wow, that is a bit of a stretch isn't it? I once saw a Honda veer off the road and hit a tree, must be Honda's fault. Or the time I watched a Toyota Tundra hit a light pole at a mall, must be something wrong with their steering components as well huh?

Old 11-02-2010, 08:35 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,705,555 times
I think it was Ford's fault that this thread was originally posted in the wrong forum. Someone should sue!

Old 11-02-2010, 08:40 AM

78,417 posts, read 60,613,724 times
Likely user error....probably involving a cell phone.

Old 11-02-2010, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orincarnia View Post
wow, you go from "accident" to saying "ford f-ed up"

do you have any evidence to support your claim?

otherwise that logic is not sound.

There has been more than one report locally of the early Focuses having problems relating to the wheel assembly. When I was in New Hampshire, a woman staff reported bad wheel assembly and it being recalled. Then a while later, I got a report from another staff in Vermont I was working with not that long ago about the wheel falling off!

And the woman driving that car, I believe I heard her talking about a bad wheel bearing!

Old 11-02-2010, 06:32 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,859,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJARRRPCGP View Post

And the woman driving that car, I believe I heard her talking about a bad wheel bearing!
If she knew it was bad, she should have replaced it. That isn't Ford's fault, that is the fault of a stupid driver. Pre 2005, could easily have 100,000+ miles on it and be in need of one normally.

The other incidences you "recall" doesn't add up to a manufacturing defect. You sound like a typical domestic auto maker hater. Anything goes wrong it must be the companies fault and not due to poor maintenance.

Old 11-03-2010, 01:04 PM

78,417 posts, read 60,613,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJARRRPCGP View Post
There has been more than one report locally of the early Focuses having problems relating to the wheel assembly. When I was in New Hampshire, a woman staff reported bad wheel assembly and it being recalled. Then a while later, I got a report from another staff in Vermont I was working with not that long ago about the wheel falling off!

Anecdotal stuff is great but why not go the extra mile and do a little google leg work?

Tires generally don't fall off from manufacturing defects but rather due to the lug nuts not being put back on correctly after a rotation or change etc.

Old 11-03-2010, 01:41 PM

17,216 posts, read 57,085,908 times
In my experience wheel bearings will become almost unbearably noisy before they even begin to heat up. I have never driven on one to complete destruction of the bearing, but I would expect it to develop play and any semi-competent driver would feel this in the steering if it's a front wheel bearing.

For whatever reason Vermonters are notorious for ignoring car maintenance, a VT car is usually not only rusty but a poor runner as well. I guess they are resigned to losing the car to the tin worm in less than 10 years, that and for some reason left-wing politics and technical acumen seldom reside in the same skull. These are of course generalizations, but in my limited experience they are more true than false.

Old 11-05-2010, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
You sound like a typical domestic auto maker hater.
Wrong. I'm into GM. (and Chrysler, sometimes)

I'm only P-ed about some models, it seems that problems are more likely to occur in econo-class models. (or the sub-$20,000 dollar segment) Ford seems to sometimes think that consumers wouldn't find out about QC F-ups in the econo-class segment, because of assuming that we are auto-illiterate.
Ford seems to have been taking advantage of soccer moms and grandmas.
Same with Chrysler, with late 1990s Caravans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive