Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2010, 06:21 PM

898 posts, read 1,402,389 times

Advertisements

#1: This one always leaves me dumbfounded. Think of two parking spaces, I guess you could say like an H, with no curbing between the two. If you're pulling into one and the one in front is empty, is there actually a reason why you wouldn't pull ahead into the next one to avoid having to reverse out? I see people stop mid way all the time. Never could understand why.

#2: Question number two is aimed at the majority of drivers out there. Why don't you reverse into parking spaces?

One of the safety rules I always try to follow is that my front end is always pointing out when I'm done parking. If I can drive through to the next space, I do that, if I can't, I back in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2010, 07:19 PM

17,216 posts, read 57,078,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by melinuxfool View Post
#1: This one always leaves me dumbfounded. Think of two parking spaces, I guess you could say like an H, with no curbing between the two. If you're pulling into one and the one in front is empty, is there actually a reason why you wouldn't pull ahead into the next one to avoid having to reverse out? I see people stop mid way all the time. Never could understand why.

#2: Question number two is aimed at the majority of drivers out there. Why don't you reverse into parking spaces?

One of the safety rules I always try to follow is that my front end is always pointing out when I'm done parking. If I can drive through to the next space, I do that, if I can't, I back in.

Firstly, backing in requires extra effort and thinking ahead, if only 10 minutes ahead, so it's a non-starter for most.

Yeah, I do try to pull through so I can avoid backing up at all when it's available, but not many do.

Was it Edison who said "5% of people think, another 10% think they think, but the rest would rather die than think"?

Old 09-01-2010, 07:40 PM

45,379 posts, read 60,575,206 times
Many people have trouble backing up. Also, a lot of parking areas require head in parking only.

Old 09-01-2010, 07:46 PM

1,335 posts, read 3,149,862 times
#1. Getting a "pull-through" is enough to make my whole day better, I love it, but to answer your question, there is one instance I can think of where it is not best. If you are grocery shopping and plan to get a lot of stuff, and need to put it in your trunk, then it may be easier to "front in", just so you don't have to negotiate the cart between vehicles, and so you can easily return it to the store.

#2. I'm also big on backing into a spot, I always do if it's a decent lot, BUT, if you are in a very busy lot, and spaces are at a premium, then at best you could cause confusion by someone being right up behind you, making it hard to back in, or worse yet, some b@$tard will sneak into your spot before you back in.

My wife an I always joke about backing in, I always say "you never know when you need to get away fast". hahahaha

I mostly agree with you, but I tried to answer both questions with thoughts that have actually crossed my mind and led me to park differently.

EDIT> I just read your questions to my wife and she answered both the same as me. I guess we WERE meant to be together. SOULMATES!!!!! <3

Old 09-01-2010, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Many people have trouble backing up. Also, a lot of parking areas require head in parking only.
Can't say I've ever seen one that required it. There are some that encourage it with angled spaces, but I've never seen a sign posted that required you to go in front first.

Old 09-01-2010, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmateo View Post
or worse yet, some b@$tard will sneak into your spot before you back in.
That happened to me once, and only once. Now if I have the slightest inkling that the guy behind me will try it, I pull along side the space and block it until the guy goes by.

Generally though, most people around here do at least know enough to recognize when you are swing out to back in, and will wait until you are safely out of the way.

Old 09-01-2010, 08:07 PM

15,431 posts, read 25,814,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
Firstly, backing in requires extra effort and thinking ahead, if only 10 minutes ahead, so it's a non-starter for most.
What extra effort? It's no big deal to back in. I back in 95% of the time without difficulty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmateo
BUT, if you are in a very busy lot, and spaces are at a premium, then at best you could cause confusion by someone being right up behind you, making it hard to back in, or worse yet, some b@$tard will sneak into your spot before you back in.
It's all in how you do it. I've seen drives who want to sneak in, but I do pull up in such a way that they can't.

Old 09-01-2010, 10:20 PM
f_m

2,289 posts, read 8,370,223 times
Quote:
Depends on the traffic flow, since sometimes the lanes can only go one direction, or they are angled. Also, one time I did this and another car was trying to get into that opposite spot and was surprised my car popped out from the other side. Could have been a collision if either was going too fast. As someone else posted, accessing the trunk is much easier head in.

Old 09-02-2010, 04:00 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,185,348 times
Quote:
Because someone trying to pull in the "conventional" way may not even see you coming through from the other side, and you risk meeting grille-to-grille in the middle of the parking spot.

Quote:
A couple reasons: First, I live in a very busy, crowded, congested city with small, congested parking lots (when you can even find one) where just the extra 30 seconds you take trying to maneuver backward into a spot can unnecessarily clog up the flow of traffic through the parking lot. Around here, you get where you need to go with the minimum amount of time it takes to get there, and you get out of peoples' way ASAP. Not to mention some impatient squid will drive straight into your spot while you're trying to back into it. Furthermore, when I'm parking somewhere, it's usually to get something. The trunk on my car is in the back, and I want to be able to get to my trunk to put whatever I just got in there with the minimum of fuss.

Quote:
Can't say I've ever seen one that required it. There are some that encourage it with angled spaces, but I've never seen a sign posted that required you to go in front first.

Old 09-02-2010, 06:31 AM

1,900 posts, read 5,906,480 times
I try to never have to back out of a parking space. I can't tell where the back end of my one car is, and the other one is almost too big for a lot of spaces. I've heard of backing into a parking space as a "Michigan thing," and in other places, I've noticed that almost nobody does it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive