Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-04-2010, 05:21 AM

41 posts, read 177,182 times

Advertisements

I'm in the process of buying a car from a dealer in another state. Sale price has been agreed upon, so I gave the go-ahead yesterday to move to the financing stage. I have secured financing through another source, but the interest rate is on the high side (my credit score is just shy of "prime" territory, so suffering the consequences of that), so wanted to see what the dealer could offer.

How long should it take to hear back from my salesman on this? I submitted the application online mid-morning Friday.

Also, for anyone who might know, how does the logistics of the tax-tag-title deal work when buying from another state?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2010, 09:49 AM

20,868 posts, read 23,537,374 times
Last time I bought a car from the dealer and financed with them, it took less than 30 minutes. Actually the last 2 times, one new one used, took less than 30 minutes.

I think it is time for you to call them and find out whats going on.

Old 09-04-2010, 12:07 PM

968 posts, read 2,623,210 times
when i went to buy my car, i negotiated everything over the phone, had a friend drive me to the next city on friday. i had my paperwork, but they didn't have the banks paperwork, i had to grab a hotel room at 7 on friday and then i had to wait 4 hours the next morning for my damn "loan officer" to fax the necessary paperwork on saturday, she was just being lazy.

get on them. stay on them. my credit union (gave me a great rate, but i wouldn't finance with them again) tried to tell me i'd have to wait till monday after i had already signed everything on thursday to buy this car on friday. i spoke to her manager, her mangers manager, and i finally drove home at 11 o'clock saturday.

don't let them stall on you, the dealership wants to sell you that car immediately.

Old 09-04-2010, 12:31 PM

290 posts, read 921,331 times
Manufacturer financing should be within minutes.

Old 09-05-2010, 09:32 AM

41 posts, read 177,182 times
Yeah, unfortunately, I fall into the subprime (barely) category. Honestly, if this car wasn't such a deal I would have walked away from the dealer yesterday. Finally got them on the phone after I threatened to walk and then we talked numbers.

Until I sign on the dotted line on the Buyer's Order, can I continue to seek alternative financing in an attempt to come up with a better deal? Or does my verbal -- let's go with yours -- on the phone last night to the salesman commit me in any way?

Finally, is a $595 dealer fee reasonable? He says it's the same all over the state (FL), but I'm wondering if I shouldn't investigate that further. The guy also said stuff like gap insurance is "federally regulated" and he'd pay the same price as a consumer that I will. Of all the "extras", gap insurance is really the only one that appeals to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive