Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2010, 09:11 AM

54,494 posts, read 33,864,590 times

Advertisements

Okay, be honest, have you ever driven in the car-pool lane on a crowded freeway during rush hour, even though you were not car-pooling?

Have you ever gotten a ticket for that?

I've done it a few times.. And I've never been caught (yet)

Sometimes it's frustrating to see a freeway with a speed limit of 65 MPH, but traffic is going at a snail's pace during the evening rush hour, which usually happens because of an accident, even a minor fender bender a few miles ahead, and everyone wants to slow down to look, so it's very tempting to move into the car-pool lane, at least here in Phoenix, traffic moves much faster in it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2010, 10:43 AM

7,284 posts, read 16,683,166 times
Nope, never have.

What I don't get are the morons who use the HOV lane during off hours, not because it's the left lane, but because they have two people in the car. The HOV lane becomes another left lane during off hours, which means that these idiots--farting along at 5mph under the speed limit--hose up the flow of traffic by making everyone tear around them on the right side.

I honestly think there are some boobs who believe that they must use the carpool lane if their car contains more than one person.

Old 09-13-2010, 11:35 AM

7,474 posts, read 22,880,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum Mike View Post
[color=darkslategray][b]Okay, be honest, have you ever driven in the car-pool lane on a crowded freeway during rush hour, even though you were not car-pooling?

I think one ticket would tend to make a believer out of you. In California the first time is $271. The second time it doubles, and it continues to increase until you get the message.
Not to mention you are cheating the people who follow the law and do the right thing.
You are a scufflaw...!
scoff·law   /ˈskɔfˌlɔ, ˈskɒf-/ Show Spelled[skawf-law, skof-] Show IPA
–noun
1. a person who flouts the law, esp. one who fails to pay fines owed.
2. a person who flouts rules, conventions, or accepted practices.

Old 09-13-2010, 11:39 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,358,815 times
Nope, never.

Old 09-13-2010, 11:51 AM

2,811 posts, read 5,625,817 times
I never have, but from the looks of things on my commute I am about the only one! LOL It does make me mad when I'm sitting in traffic that is crawling, the carpool lane is wide open and people who are driving alone whip past me in that lane. What gives them the right to do so? That lane never has much traffic, I just wish they would do away with it and make it an extra lane since my stretch of freeway is not wide enough anyway. I mean, people would carpool if they could, but reality is most don't live near others who they can ride to work with.

Old 09-13-2010, 12:43 PM

16,956 posts, read 16,753,748 times
No.

and

No.

Old 09-13-2010, 01:14 PM

54,494 posts, read 33,864,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm31828 View Post
I never have, but from the looks of things on my commute I am about the only one! LOL It does make me mad when I'm sitting in traffic that is crawling, the carpool lane is wide open and people who are driving alone whip past me in that lane. What gives them the right to do so? That lane never has much traffic, I just wish they would do away with it and make it an extra lane since my stretch of freeway is not wide enough anyway. I mean, people would carpool if they could, but reality is most don't live near others who they can ride to work with.
I agree, in some places, they really should do away with those HOV lanes. They were designed to reduce the amount of traffic, thus reducing gasoline consumption and pollution, but sometimes I wonder if they're really helping that much because during rush hours, there's hardly anybody in the HOV lanes, and traffic in the other lanes is only going way below the speed limit, thus consuming more gasoline and producing more pollutants.

I tried to sign up to car-pool with somebody at the company I work for, but like you mentioned, there wasn't anyone else who lived close to where I live, and worked the same hours.

Like I mentioned in my original message, I wouldn't drive in the HOV lanes, unless traffic is completely stopped, or crawling on the freeway, and the HOV lane is nearly empty.

Old 09-13-2010, 02:01 PM

1,108 posts, read 3,321,255 times
Quote:
Okay, be honest, have you ever driven in the car-pool lane on a crowded freeway during rush hour, even though you were not car-pooling?

Sometimes it's frustrating to see a freeway with a speed limit of 65 MPH, but traffic is going at a snail's pace during the evening rush hour, which usually happens because of an accident, even a minor fender bender a few miles ahead, and everyone wants to slow down to look, so it's very tempting to move into the car-pool lane, at least here in Phoenix, traffic moves much faster in it.
I was never willing to take the chance myself - expensive fines.

Old 09-13-2010, 06:18 PM

2,698 posts, read 12,173,076 times
Yes, but only on my bike (in other words, legally)

Mike

Old 09-13-2010, 06:41 PM

422 posts, read 792,050 times
Quote:

Yup, I hate the HOV lanes. They were meant for vehicles carring a lot of passengers (buses, vans), but people with kids always are the only ones using them. I've used them and never gotten a ticket, I drive a SUV and have dark tint, and the officers just cant tell.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive