Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-17-2010, 01:54 PM

910 posts, read 1,675,971 times

Advertisements

Slow on-ramp mergers are the WORST.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2010, 02:12 PM

6,775 posts, read 9,332,326 times
People who are unfamiliar with an area and need to make a left turn but are in the farthest right-hand lane (or vice versa) and then proceed to STOP and BLOCK TRAFFIC so that they can get over to the appropriate lane to make their turn. Um, why not just make the next possible turn, turn around, and come back to the intersection?

Old 09-17-2010, 04:57 PM

14,100 posts, read 28,515,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gimme3steps View Post
And while you're playing "time the light", you're backing up traffic behind you. I see it every day. There's a rural highway I drive on that has a lot of traffic in the mornings and ends at an intersection with a light where you have to turn either right or left. In the mornings traffic can back up as far as a half-mile at this intersection. There's always someone trying to time the light just right so they won't have to stop (riding their brake pedal the whole way-there goes the saving on brake pads theory). They may or may not make it but while they were playing, they've kept up to ten cars from making the green light.So while they've saved a fraction of a cent on gas, they've also caused another group of cars to have to sit and wait for the light to cycle back to green instead of getting on down the road. Explain to me how that saves gas.

That's another annoyance for me. If you're setting in a turning lane where you have to turn, why the signal? Nothing like being behind someone for a full light cycle with their signal just flashing away in front of you.

Not really. I'd bet that pads would last longer if you'd just go on and stop rather than riding the pedal, creeping up on stopped traffic.
I take my foot off the gas when the traffic is ALREADY stopped ahead. Why keep it on the gas and brake hard? I'm not holding up traffic if the traffic is already stopped. I don't ride my brakes. I merely take my foot off the gas and when I begin to get close to the stopped traffic, I then begin braking to a stop.
Why should someone having their turn signal on when they're making a turn bother you?

Old 09-17-2010, 06:16 PM

4,923 posts, read 11,185,071 times
I'm sure it's been mentioned, but in my area, the two habits that irritate me the most are the two that are worse here than anywhere else I've lived, including some much, much larger cities...

Tailgating. It's awful around here.

Poking along in the left lane backing up faster moving traffic. It's real nice when there are two lanes and both of the people are side by side pacing each other....I don't know if they feel they are the self-appointed speed police or just totally oblivious to the resulting stack-up behind them.

Both, probably. It seems no one around here was ever taught that the left lane is for passing. Once accomplished, get your butt over and out of the way. I know, I know...they're probably planning on turning left in, oh, about 10 miles or so. They want to be ready.

Old 09-17-2010, 06:21 PM

3,511 posts, read 5,304,525 times
Brake riders, you know the people who have their rear brake lights lit for the whole time you are following them. I'm talking in excess of 3 miles or more. Man, those pads are not going to last if you keep that up guy! It's hard to tell when they are slowing down and you have to keep your distance from them. Then there are people who do the same with the clutch. They rest their foot on the pedal and engage and disengage it as they are driving..... eerrrrrrrr.....Rerrrrrrrrr.....errrrrrrrrrr....Rer rrrrr! The vehicle is jerking as this is going on and again you keep your distance to avoid rear ending them as they slow up. Hello, don't you feel that? You are tearing up your clutch and making people who follow you nervous. Shift and completely lift off the pedal and or take your foot off and rest it beside on the floorboard!

Old 09-18-2010, 10:53 AM

6,351 posts, read 21,528,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboyxjon View Post
People who are unfamiliar with an area and need to make a left turn but are in the farthest right-hand lane (or vice versa) and then proceed to STOP and BLOCK TRAFFIC so that they can get over to the appropriate lane to make their turn. Um, why not just make the next possible turn, turn around, and come back to the intersection?
Well, how 'bout a LITTLE sympathy? There's nothing more frustrating than being in a strange city (especially in a big truck...) and having poor or non existent directions. Couple that with VERY small street signs and interstate highway on-ramps that are inconsistent and it's TOUGH driving in unfamiliar territory. Kudos to the cities that post LARGE, legible signs that say the next intersection is_________ Rd.

Old 09-18-2010, 11:04 AM

14,100 posts, read 28,515,251 times
People who hit the brakes and slow down well below the posted speed limit every time they see a cop with the radar gun or the red light/speed camera intersection. Just drive the posted speed limit and you won't get a ticket. No need to go below the speed limit.

Here's a situation I see all the time. Large shopping center. Multiple points from which to enter/exit the shopping center. One of those points is a lighted intersection with a left turn signal. Guess which point people turning left choose NOT to use. During the busiest time of the day, they think they're going to turn left cutting across several lanes of rush hour traffic. I've actually seen one individual block two lanes of traffic to wait for his chance to go left. Most people taking these non-lighted exits are turning right and now have to wait for "the missing link" to go left. If the shopping center doesn't have a lighted exit and I need to turn left during rush hour traffic, I turn right. Somewhere along the way I'll hit a light and be able to go back in the direction I wanted to go without risking my life or wasting my time and the time of people behind me.

Old 09-18-2010, 12:00 PM

970 posts, read 2,967,296 times
It really annoys me when I'm just drivin' along, doing the speed limit, and someone ZOOMS past me, gets in my lane, and then slows down. I don't understand that.

Old 09-18-2010, 12:23 PM

1,455 posts, read 2,496,016 times
Hmm, let's see:-
  • People who have never discovered the function of those flashing things at each corner of the car.
  • You are being polite and move out to let someone merge on the freeway, only for them to completely ignore you and accelerate away leaving you looking like a middle lane hog.
  • The car behind you who has such loud music and bass than your teeth and car are vibrate.
  • Poeple who don't occassionally check that their brake lights are working.
  • Smoking cars. If I see one in TX, it's a call to 1-800-453-SMOG
  • Fog lights on when it's clear - they are not daytime running lights

Old 09-18-2010, 12:52 PM

970 posts, read 2,967,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timfountain View Post
[*]You are being polite and move out to let someone merge on the freeway, only for them to completely ignore you and accelerate away leaving you looking like a middle lane hog.
And lets not forget the people that think the onramp merge lane is an actual lane, and then they freak out when they're running out of lane and nobody will let them in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive