Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-27-2012, 03:06 PM

1,437 posts, read 3,758,302 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielAvery View Post
She seemed so proud of her dumb little stickers, so I faked a worried look on my face and pointed out that any kidnapper or pedo who's following them will now know her kids' names, too. "But I'm sure that wouldn't happen..." I added, not totally convincingly.
That was a scenario in a Dexter episode. I don't remember the plot exactly, but the Trinity Killer got the names of the kids from the window stickers and somehow pretended he knew the family to earn their trust.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2012, 01:30 PM

6,367 posts, read 16,793,832 times
Another one: There's a straight stretch of road out here with a downhill run about half-mile long. If you're doing the speed limit(55) at the beginning and don't use the brake the length of the hill, you'll be doing 60-65 at the bottom.

Never fails, as soon as most drivers start picking up a little speed going down the hill, on come the brake lights and they don't go off til the road levels out. After the hill it's a fairly flat, straight road and these same drivers think nothing of running 65-70 even though it's still a 55mph limit.

Guess they're afraid of hills.

Old 07-04-2012, 07:49 AM

10,449 posts, read 12,410,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macroy View Post
all the above - in essence, a lack of common sense and a sense of entitlement.

While I agree that not using a turn signal annoys me - what annoys me more are those that by having a turn signal on, then its okay to cut people off or expect others to immediately let you into their lane. Also - a signal is just that - a sign of what you are intending to do, not what you are currently doing, or what you just did. Flipping that signal on half-way into your turn or after I've already slammed on my breaks to avoid hitting you doesn't really help.

And the phone thing has already been mentioned... but that really takes the cake. I don't care how bored you are in the car or how important your call is... no reason to be putting yourself and others in danger by holding a lengthy conversation while holding up traffic.
This reminds me--drivers who turn when my light is green and I have started crossing the street. I get that there's right on red, but people should exercise a little common sense and pay enough attention to not run over the blind person crossing the street before they insist on exercising their right to turn right on red. Sorry, no, I can't see your turn signal to know that you intended on turning, and to me you sound like you're driving straight (with our shared green light) until the last minute when you turn.

I've had numerous drivers practically run me over doing this. Usually it ends up in this awkward "do I go or you go?" situation where they start to turn absent-mindedly and halfway through their turn they notice me, at about the same time I realize they're turning, and then they stop and I stop and they start to go and I start to go and then they stop again and I stop again. Then I absolutely insist on not moving because I don't know what they will do next, and in the process, we end up blocking the intersection.

In addition to it being illegal not to give cane/dog guide users the right of way in many states, it's incredibly dangerous to turn when someone is swinging a cane. The reason for this is that if the cane gets caught under your tire, it can pull the blind person under. I've heard of several blind people that have died this way. There should be no reason that a blind pedestrian should have to risk their life to cross the street on their light because some driver insisted on turning right on red immediately as the light turned green instead of waiting 5 seconds of their life.

Old 07-04-2012, 07:58 AM

10,449 posts, read 12,410,930 times
Another peeve of mine is when people park in front of curb cuts. How do you expect wheelchair users, people with strollers, walkers, etc. to cross the street? Some stroller users can semi-lift up the stroller and ease it down onto the street with a small curb, but most of the time, the people who do this happen to park in front of the curb cut where there's a deep curb, complete with a drain and everything. Power chairs really can't take much of any curb at all either, so at the very least power chair users are forced to find another curb cut, which usually involves having to go down the adjacent curb-cut and swerve around into the lane with oncoming traffic to come back around and make the light.

Old 07-04-2012, 09:48 AM

24,334 posts, read 22,881,617 times
I was at the grocery store yesterday and a woman who was loading her groceries in the car bumped her shopping cart hard enough into my car to make me think she was opening my car door. No apologies, no excuse me. She was fairly old too, in her 60s, old enough to know better.
Before that I was driving a local stretch of country road. Its a wooded country road along a stream tucked in the hills with some fantastic old colonial houses and is always cool enough to turn off the AC and open the windows. A relative lived nearby so we'd drive it often with our parents to go visit them. Naturally some dork began tailgating so I had to do the speed limit to accomodate the clod.

Old 07-04-2012, 09:50 AM

6,616 posts, read 13,766,783 times
People who create gridlock in Manhattan.

Old 07-04-2012, 11:21 AM

290 posts, read 915,070 times
When making a right hand turn on a green light on a 2 or 3 lane street, is it ok for a car traveling in the opposite direction to make a left hand turn at the same time as you?

Old 07-04-2012, 11:26 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,025,792 times
Drivers that annoy me: Pick the middle or fast lane then go below the speed limit while talking on the phone. Once you get around them you can yell, shake your fist, whatever, it won't matter. They are completely oblivious. I use to think a ban for talking on your cellphone while driving was ridiculous but the more I drive the more I think it is sorely needed.

Old 07-04-2012, 11:49 AM

19,031 posts, read 25,104,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ja1myn View Post
People who create gridlock in Manhattan.
Yup!
Despite the signs saying, "Don't block the box", and a "box" being painted on the pavement in the intersection, all too many dorks see fit to do a bumper-to-bumper conga line across the intersection, and then wind up totally blocking opposing traffic when the light turns green in the other direction.

But--just as annoying as those a-holes are the ones who honk their horn at me when I refuse to "block the box". Apparently, they can't figure out the connection between what I am doing and the signs/pavement markings.

Not only do you NOT get across an intersection any faster when you create gridlock, but you are also putting yourself in danger of getting a ticket for this behavior. Since I haven't gotten a ticket of any kind since 1995, and do not plan on getting one again, I refuse to give in to the asinine and selfish behavior of those who block intersections.

Old 07-04-2012, 12:54 PM

18,923 posts, read 43,211,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
Drivers that annoy me: Pick the middle or fast lane then go below the speed limit while talking on the phone. Once you get around them you can yell, shake your fist, whatever, it won't matter. They are completely oblivious. I use to think a ban for talking on your cellphone while driving was ridiculous but the more I drive the more I think it is sorely needed.
Yep. Where I live it's generally considered rude to honk your horn at people, but the more I'm around people like this yacking on their cell phones the more I'm tempted to start blasting mine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive