Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-20-2010, 05:54 AM

14,100 posts, read 28,379,066 times

Advertisements

Forget NASCAR, Its Time For The New Trans-Am | Car News Blog at Motor Trend
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2010, 08:02 AM

5,228 posts, read 15,186,199 times
it already exists, and is called Grand Am:

Even uses a similar format. And the fact that even Motor Trend forgot about it is proof that a modern Trans Am won't make people forget NASCAR.

Road racing is exclusive. Road racers tend to be elitist and want to keep the rabble out. It's hard to watch the whole race from the stands. NASCAR is inclusive, where the general public is the reason they race, and it's easy to watch the whole race from the stands.

Road racing is a personal thing, while NASCAR and oval track in general) is of the old Roman chariot race mold. They both have their place, but the road racing will never be as big a public spectacle here in the US.

Old 09-20-2010, 08:19 AM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,292,121 times
As a Nascar fan and a sometimes amateur road racer. I can tell you this. Road racing is more fun to do but Nascar is more fun to watch.

Good road racers never miss an opportunity to make a pass. Good Nascar driver create their own passing opportunities.

Old 09-20-2010, 09:12 AM

3,189 posts, read 4,961,633 times
I know I will get criticized for saying this, but I find NASCAR (and any oval track racing) ultra-boring.

The only oval track race I watch from start to finish is the Indianapolis 500 and that's mainly because of the spectacle of it. I think everyone should see the Indy 500 in person at least once in their life.

Of course, it's probably also got something to do with the fact that I was weened on road racing....my Dad used to take us to the US Grand Prix at Watkins Glen to see the F-1 races every year.

I know it is a matter of taste and I respect those who enjoy it, but it's just not my cup of tea.

Old 09-20-2010, 10:24 AM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,292,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoobleKar View Post
I know I will get criticized for saying this, but I find NASCAR (and any oval track racing) ultra-boring.

The only oval track race I watch from start to finish is the Indianapolis 500 and that's mainly because of the spectacle of it. I think everyone should see the Indy 500 in person at least once in their life.

Of course, it's probably also got something to do with the fact that I was weened on road racing....my Dad used to take us to the US Grand Prix at Watkins Glen to see the F-1 races every year.

I know it is a matter of taste and I respect those who enjoy it, but it's just not my cup of tea.
You certainly have the right to not like Nascar just as I have the right to not like Basketball or Hockey but I would never criticize either sport because I know nothing about them.
Nascar is hardly boring. Minimal passing in F1 is boring.

Old 09-20-2010, 12:40 PM

14,780 posts, read 43,465,675 times
As soon as I saw the headline I thought Grand Am. As other's have said, fun to do, not so fun to watch. I'm not a huge NASCAR fan, but I can sit and watch a NASCAR race much easier than I can sit down and watch a Grand Am race. Road racing just isn't spectator friendly.

Old 09-20-2010, 01:35 PM

664 posts, read 2,081,493 times
How about truck roadtrack?

I am still a NASCAR fan though... how about some vintage Nascar Truck series?

Old 09-21-2010, 12:56 AM

3,071 posts, read 9,092,426 times
The idea is LAME .....

Old 09-21-2010, 07:32 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,575,838 times
The SCCA owns the rights to the Trans Am name and guess what? After burbling around for a few years on an amateur basis for GT1 cars, it is being relaunched next year under the guise of having GT1 cars and GT2 and GT3 SCCA class cars.

At the moment I don't think it will go anywhere due to the market already being catered for by Grand Am and ALMS.

Old 10-03-2010, 04:52 AM

2 posts, read 4,237 times
Well I love nascar and I'm blaming you for critizing but nascar does road coures and ovels I love them all but my favorte is dirt tracks well cause I used to race a modifed there nothing like controling a 1100 hp car with the rear end sliding out around the corners its the most excitment you will ever see or do now trans am series not exciting no passing most of the the races I seen they just follow in line and now drag raceing is fun to (as long as you don't wreck) but nascar is my favorite
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive