Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2010, 10:25 PM

149 posts, read 257,626 times

Advertisements

I will never own a vehicle that looks like a hearse....pt cruiser....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2010, 10:56 AM

5,228 posts, read 15,188,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asimegusta View Post
I will never own a vehicle that looks like a hearse....pt cruiser....
How does a PT look like a hearse? Station wagons, hatchbacks, the PTC is one of those. Not sure I understand where your motivations are coming from here.

This is one of the things I find fascinating about internet forums: how many ordinary people get completely cast-in-concrete opinions based on very little real knowledge.

The PT is a small hatchback/wagon basded on design elements of the 1937 Ford:

Those are NOT hearses.

of course, there are hearses out there I'd love to have, too:

Something about a hot rod vintage Caddy hearse...

Old 09-25-2010, 11:03 AM

5,228 posts, read 15,188,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stripes17 View Post
I won't buy a Honda, Nissan, or Toyota product. Can't believe people in the US defend buying these things as "American built" when the profits are sent offshore to the land of the Rising Sun.
And the profits from GM and Ford went to buying up companies like Volvo, Saab, Mazda, Jaguar, Alfa, etc. Or went to built plants and offices in Mexico and Canada. the profits don't go INTO American pockets, so I really dont 'know why you're so concerned about them...

Sorry, but the bulk of the money in buying a car is spent where the cars are built, not where their profits go. You really need to learn a bit more about business before you make statments like that. if someone wants to support workers and communities in Tennessee rather than Puebla, Mexico, is that really so wrong?

Sochiro Honda was always an outsider in Japan, so very early on, he put headquarters in the US and started building motorcycles, engine products, then cars here (and in some cases exporting them back to japan). The whole idea was to put the profits from the company into operations in his biggest market. So more of your dollars spent on an Accord stay right here in the US than the dollars from a Camaro. in fact, unlike a camaro, almost ALL your dollars in an Accord stay right here in America, whereas only a tiny fraction of your dollars on a Camaro come back to the taxpayers.

Old 09-25-2010, 03:50 PM

362 posts, read 389,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
You guys (gals) who are bashing Toyota and Honda - would you really turn your nose up at a minty twin-turbo Supra? How about a good Prelude for a chump change price? What about an NSX (I guess it's technically an Acura, but, it's Honda).

True, most of the cars they churn out are bland. But the same can be said for GM, notwithstanding Corvettes and that (admittedly tasty-looking) Caddy.
I'd like to get an MR2 spyder 2000-2005 range as a toy. I have no desire at all for a GM or chrystler. Ford, eh. No more MGB's for me. Don't want a cedes or beemer. I'd love to have a porche boxter spyder. Kia and hyundai are making strides. I think they have another series or 2 (5-10 years) before they get to where I'd take them seriously.

Current veh.- 2001 Camry, J vin number. 171k on the clock. No problems at all. I don't think toyota makes boring cars. Reliability is never boring. And this one is def not boring.
Attached Thumbnails
Is there a certain vehicle you swore to never own?-photo_650284_3898_262169_main.jpg  

Old 09-25-2010, 06:15 PM

2,685 posts, read 6,397,786 times
Cars I wouldn't own: Ford, GM, Chrysler.

It's beyond the junk they produce. It's the hypocrisy (begging people to buy their products (in their stupid/desperate commercials) that are not made here, yet callout people for owning Hondas and Toyotas made here) .

Quality is another issue (For me). Ford may have improved, but they're still not getting a cent from me. I'll stick to renting them. That's it.

If your products were junk to begin with, any little progress is still progress. It doesn't mean it's better than Toyota, Nissan, Honda and Hyundai. You tend to overlook progress when companies build great products to begin with, so of course domestics will get more praise these days, since they've been building junk forever.

They've improved, just not enough in my book. Not worth a second look. Call me a snob or domestic hater, I can live with it.

My friend offered me great deal on his Cadillas STS recently. He asked me little to nothing for it (compared to blue book). It needs a little TLC (sevice and a good detail job). I'd buy it, but will stick to my principles on this one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axle grease View Post
Another drunk employee!
LMAO!!!

Quote:
I won't buy a Honda, Nissan, or Toyota product. Can't believe people in the US defend buying these things as "American built" when the profits are sent offshore to the land of the Rising Sun.
Let's look at what you wrote. The companies you're so quick to hate are the ones that are putting thousands of Americans to work. They're the ones stimulating local economies. They're the ones that are not asking for the US gov't for bailout money either. I'll put my money into them, rather than GM, FORD, Or Chrysler. (Didn't Chrysler use some of our money to build something in Mexico, very recently?)

Old 09-26-2010, 02:22 AM

5,779 posts, read 14,509,831 times
Quote:
That money is goes where the car is built. My 2003 Nissan Altima was assembled in Smyrna, Tennessee and is made of 85% American built parts. So therefore, I assume 85% of what the original owner (bought this car used) paid for that car stayed in the US.

And besides US auto makers build their plants in Canada and Mexico because the UAW is WAY to greedy and it has killed their profits, lower profits usually mean lower quality products, coupled with some god awful designs, inefficient fuel economy, and most cars calling it quits before 100,000 can really hurt a company's image, no matter where their cars are built

My Gf has a 2003 Ford Focus, with 130,000 miles and it runs great, so there are some exceptions. I see quite a few American cars with 100k+ some as much as 25 years old, still on the road and running great. I guess it depends on the owner and how they take care of it

The last time I drove from Los Angeles to Las Vegas through the desert I saw so many Mercedes, BMWs, and Audis broken down in the desert heat on I-15 (all much newer than my car) and Im cruising along in my 83,000 mile Altima with the A/C blasting, with no issues. That is why I would NEVER buy a European car, for that price, than to break down in 100+ heat, its not worth it. Eurocars cant take American hot weather apparently

Old 09-26-2010, 02:34 AM

20,948 posts, read 18,967,887 times
I will only drive a Ford.

Old 09-26-2010, 04:53 AM

27,957 posts, read 39,581,788 times
Any Chevrolet. Done that once. Kinda like marriage. Nice day when you get it. Nicer day when its over.

Also no mini vans with the exception of the Ford Transit Connect. That kinda has a useful factor a certain likability.

Old 09-26-2010, 09:52 AM

2,143 posts, read 3,343,807 times
I doubt I will ever buy foreign unless it is a high-end European make. I have no desire to ever purchase a Toyota or Honda.

Old 09-26-2010, 10:02 AM

2,143 posts, read 3,343,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trlhiker View Post
Compared to your Fords and GM's, Hondas and Toyotas are much better, now go and drink your Kool Aid.
We've all seen the decline in Toyota quality...the fanboys are just unable to admit it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive