Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2010, 05:04 PM

17,214 posts, read 57,064,697 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
How about a 3- or 4- year-old Cadillac which would cost about $30? That way you could enjoy owning a Cadillac at a Camry price.
Or better yet a 1950's Caddy Convertible, in excellent condition, you can drop 30K or more on one, and the value won't go down, generally.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2010, 08:30 PM

15,446 posts, read 21,349,093 times
I have third degrees burns from a Ford Ranger and have stayed away from Fords ever since the early 1980s. I've always been a GM person but very recently I sold my GMC Sierra SLE because I needed a 4x4. As I looked through the many ads for late 1990s 4x4 trucks I found that most of the Chevys and GMCs had rebuilt transmissions and engines. I found a lot of F150s with over 200 miles on them and still going strong. I now have a 1997 F150 XL, extended cab, 4x4.

I love my wife's minivan as well as my Toyotas and Hondas over the years. However, last July a full-sized Dodge Ram ate my Honda Accord at one of Texas' notorious rural country dirt road intersections. I was almost caught dead in that car.

Old 09-22-2010, 08:36 PM

5,142 posts, read 13,119,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by High_Plains_Retired View Post
I have third degrees burns from a Ford Ranger and have stayed away from Fords ever since the early 1980s.
Oh my goodness! You didn't happen to try to remove the oil filter, did you? My dad loved his Ranger (it was a 2005) but he always hated changing the filter out as it was a strange location for him to remove, almost always ending up with a slight burn to his arm.

Old 09-22-2010, 08:54 PM

15,446 posts, read 21,349,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeet09 View Post
Oh my goodness! You didn't happen to try to remove the oil filter, did you? My dad loved his Ranger (it was a 2005) but he always hated changing the filter out as it was a strange location for him to remove, almost always ending up with a slight burn to his arm.
My mistake was buying the first year's model in 1983. To say mine was was a lemon would be a complement. However, I think most people have loved their Rangers since mine was made. The little trucks have apparently come a long way.

No, my accident was an engine fire caused when the 4-cylinder engine overheated.

Old 09-22-2010, 10:59 PM

3,511 posts, read 5,306,098 times
Quote:
I have third degrees burns from a Ford Ranger and have stayed away from Fords ever since the early 1980s. I've always been a GM person but very recently I sold my GMC Sierra SLE because I needed a 4x4. As I looked through the many ads for late 1990s 4x4 trucks I found that most of the Chevys and GMCs had rebuilt transmissions and engines. I found a lot of F150s with over 200 miles on them and still going strong. I now have a 1997 F150 XL, extended cab, 4x4.

I love my wife's minivan as well as my Toyotas and Hondas over the years. However, last July a full-sized Dodge Ram ate my Honda Accord at one of Texas' notorious rural country dirt road intersections. I was almost caught dead in that car.
That is one reason you won't see me in a Cracker Jack box car. You simply don't have enough metal and strength around you. The fans will say....... they are just as safe as anything. Not if a 1/2, 3/4 or 1 ton, full frame, full size truck nails ya in it! I would rather be the truck and I am!

Old 09-22-2010, 11:10 PM

24,510 posts, read 33,305,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
Or better yet a 1950's Caddy Convertible, in excellent condition, you can drop 30K or more on one, and the value won't go down, generally.
I don't think the person I replied to would have an interest in that car.
I sure do, though!

Old 09-22-2010, 11:13 PM

3,511 posts, read 5,306,098 times
And the reply is always something along the lines of......... "my car......my car.....my car"!!! "I ran into the back of you while I was yacking on my cell phone and my car is nearly totaled and all you have is some paint on your bumper and on the trailer hitch ball"! "I need a wrecker"! I say I need some billet, mag and chrome polish. Don't worry though, you can still run 13's after you get your car fixed. That is if it is repairable?

Old 09-23-2010, 06:49 AM

5,228 posts, read 15,288,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by richb View Post
My no's would be any small compact car that isn't a sports car. I would only take on a sports car as a second or third car, I would never depend on it for a daily driver. Never works out well, so they are for when one has money to burn. Which counts me out as a sport car owner for now.

Money to burn? They don't have to cost a lot of money. I know a lot of people with daily driver Miatas that paid less than 3 grand for the cars, and take them everywhere (including camping). And of course, many of us have built autocross/street sports cars from MGs, Fiats, Miatas, etc for under $2k. This Fiat cost me $2500, and I had it for 5 years:

Old 09-23-2010, 07:20 AM

5,142 posts, read 13,119,974 times
Quote:
My mistake was buying the first year's model in 1983. To say mine was was a lemon would be a complement. However, I think most people have loved their Rangers since mine was made. The little trucks have apparently come a long way.

No, my accident was an engine fire caused when the 4-cylinder engine overheated.
Didn't know Rangers go back to 1983. Wow! Going to look into the history of them, you've got my curiosity peaked now.
I'm sorry to hear about your accident.

Old 09-23-2010, 08:20 AM

474 posts, read 905,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwguydc View Post
Having a BMW makes one a snob???? And, here I thought that being labeled a snob had to do with bad manners--I am so disillusioned.

Cars I would never own:
Small, economy hatchbacks (scare me in traffic)
Toyota Camry
Smart For 2 (unless it was used as a golf cart)
Kia (don't like the look at all)
Toyota Corolla
Toyota Prius (too many bad stories from an orthopedic colleague of my mother's)
Passat (have had as a rental in Europe and don't like)
SOME BMW owners are snobs. Not all of them. Based on your history here, you are simply a BMW fan. Nothing wrong with that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive